I need good video converter

shraouf

Hi,I need a video conveter software in which I have full control over the output file format(mpeg1), bitrate,audio format(mp3),I've tried many but either it doesn't give me the full control or it gives me unsynchronized audio video output,can anyone help?

if you want the best out there try this one: StaxRip. it converts video and audio among many formats including DV (digital video cameras). can convert from any source to avi(divx,xvid), mpg(using external encoders), mp4(x264 with acc audio, even 5.1 channels) and more. with it you have control over quality, compressibility, crop, filters, resizing, deinterlacing, aspect ratio among many other things.

its freeware.

www.free-codecs.com and search for it.

DirectShow GraphEdit + ffdshow + ffvfw + some other codecs. Harder to setup, but you can do things like convert one file into several different files of different codecs at the same time with the right arrangement of filters. Probably as close to "full control" as possible. This is what I use.

Edited by LLXX

This mediacoder looks the best specially that it converts .vob files too,but there is always only sound but no video in the output file,if only it worked :no:

Having the same here or the other way around as well, only video no sound.

It looks ok true, but for me the GUI is not very clear, perhaps I'm just doing something wrong. Also, it's still a beta if I am right. Future improvement is possible.

Another alternative not mentioned here is:

http://www.stoik.com/products/svc/index.html.

Stoik Video Converter, handles all common formats (no .vob, but there are lots of dvd rippers). Lots of settings but still easy to use.

It's really free but they ask for a E-mail adress when you want to download from their site. Google is your friend.

You might want to start the videopak2.exe directly instead of the default starter.exe to avoid "calling home".

You could try the old favorite of FlaskMPEG. It has not been updated for atleast a few years, but neither has MPEG1. It does the MPEG1/2 for you with alot of features within.

I have not used it for awhile as GordianKnot or AutoGordianKnot does a super nice job converting to DivX/XviD instead.

Edited by MHz

See, there's your problem asking people what the best video encoder to use is. Everyone gives you a different answer.

VirtualDub, TMPGenc, CinemaCraft Encoder, StaxRip, etc etc etc etc etc. You'll just have to try a few out and see which one you like the most. www.videohelp.com and www.doom9.org are the main sites to help you out.

Continuing Jeremy's post - it depends on the source and output files you need, desired picture quality, speed of conversion, etc.

For my tests, I produced a 50 second clip with a lot of motion into a VOB to keep as much of the original PQ as possible. I have been running that clip through conversions with varying settings. After I have a few samples, I view them on the TV that I am going to be playing them on most.

Once you find optimal settings for your source, your work is done right? Nope, there are so many things that can be different in your source material that may look terrible with the settings that worked well for the last conversion. There is a lot to read to find what will work best for you.

As was already mentioned, I also have found Doom9 and VideoHelp to be excellent resources for video conversion.

i proposed staxrip because it can handle different codecs, different audio formats, different containers and can decode/encode almost every format out there. the interface is great, its easy to use and understand.

-mediacoder: lots and lots of bugs and errors, still work to do. still works sometimes. supports almost the same feature set of StaxRip, but Stax's interface cant be beaten for now.

-all shareware or freeware converters (the kind of stoik): tons of them cant even let you control mp3 audio bitrate, so whats the point in using them.

StaxRip is the closest you can get to a really multimedia converter. name it, DVD, VOB, DV, AVI, MPG, OGG, MKV, MP4 all are supported.

this topic is a good video converter, here's my suggestion.