SP1...safe to use again?

dcyphure

ou having SP2 is not why you don't have any anti-virus. You can have SP10 and still get viruses. exploiters are always one step ahead of a security fix. Someone can easily download some junk off a p2p and get infected.

I know. But whatever infections of spyware before SP2 have all vainished now.

Few of the major factors are ActiveX Blocking and Prompting, Which goes for downloads as well.

BTW , i am amazed why i have never expreienced the wrath of a VIRUS even though i have no Anti Virus?

that's why is a good ideea to remove internet explorer.....

I disagree with that as all Internet Browsers all have problems with various security flaws.

It just that 85 plus percent of users on the Internet have IE and so it the biggest target for malware virus writers. If you keep IE up to date then you lessen the potentail problems you may get.

I wouldn't agree with you since most PC's get affected with spyware or adlware because of users lack of knowledge..

Most users don't read information when they're asked something by their browser, they almost always answer YES to every single question that pops up on the screen..

get real...at least last 2 patches released for IE were broken. and last one still needs a fix waited on april 11st.....

The key word here are patches those are not fixes, there is a big difference between patches and fixes.

What about other browsers they have problems also but yet you are quiet on that, so you get real.

Since my XP is up to date I have not has any problems using IE 6 nothing nada zero nul.

well it seems that it turns in a discution about ie and others browsers.......

n1k is true that most of people which get infected they have no clue of what they doing.....

and getting back to the subject u can use sp1 if it is patched and also use a firewall and an antivirus also uptodate....

yah, I dont get spyware using firefox. IE though, i'd get too much.

this was never my fault, but rather IE's cause it just blew chunks.

How come I never got spyware or adware using IE? <_<

Most malware requires user interaction so you must of done some to help it.

Since I have never had those problems, there again it something you are doing.

Remember no system is 100 percent safe, it up to the individual user to safe guard there

system no browser is 100 percent safe.

I have three kids that use the computers here and I manage to keep them all malware and virus free. I am no expert at this so if I can do it then any one should be able to do the same thing, regardless of what browser is being used.

It have made my pc much more stabillity after i have instal SP2 Befor any of you instal XP sp2 you need to format your C Hdd and reinstal Xp and make all the other updates befor you instal XP SP2 advice from the local Microsoft Office.

Edited by the-matrix

Befor any of you instal XP sp2 you need to for your C Hdd and reinstal Xp and make all the other updates and when you instal XP SP2 advice from the local Microsoft Office.

Huh? :blink:

I've stuck with slipstreaming SP 2. But lately I have NOT gone to Windows update or slipstreamed the 30 odd updates since SP 2 came out. My computer is faster without them, and more reliable too.

I have been following this policy for about 6 months now and have really had a better computer experience than I did when I kept my comp up to date every update Tuesday.

Ad-Aware catches a little spyware once in a while, but I have had 0 virus problems, with fewer crashes and much better bootup and application response.

I think SP 2 is a good call, but I may not bother with the other updates until (or if) there is an OFFICIAL SP 3. Most of those Update Tuesday patches just seem to be more trouble than they are worth. And between them and their uninstaller caches they waste too much HD space.

No, no, and NO! Do you have ANY idea how much of a hassle it causes for the average user if they were to remove IE from Windows? Take a second and step back from your own technical knowledge, and compare that with your average person at the local "free wireless" coffee shop. If they're running Windows XP, think about the chances that:

a ) They know about nLite

b ) They've done any sort of system modification

c ) They've got a package based security setup

d ) They care

Telling the average user (or even a more advanced user) that they should potentially cause compatibility issues on their computer is just a bad idea. The website that I need to use to log in at my university NEEDS IE. Doesn't work in Firefox, doesn't work in Opera, and doesn't work in Safari (p***es the hell out of Mac users).

Long of the short of it - it's a bad idea to suggest removing IE. There are SO many parts of Windows that you apparently don't use that rely on IE - removing it would break them and probably void a large chance of them being able to find online help (aside from the nlite forum).

yah, I dont get spyware using firefox. IE though, i'd get too much.

this was never my fault, but rather IE's cause it just blew chunks.

How come I never got spyware or adware using IE? <_<

What N1K said... <_<

What N1K said... dry.gif

so, you've never used nod32 in non sp, with the best IE 2 years back and went to a website, and got a virus popup saying blocked such and such.

now think about the fact not all virus are detected in most av products. That was the security risk that made me goto firefox. IE is a fast part of windows, without it you'd be stuck until you had firefox installed.

IE core shouldn't be removed, to keep certain games and software to work correctly.

Edited by gdogg