XP Pro BARE MINIMUMS install

reido113

When you do a fresh install of XP Pro sp2/slipstreamed and ALL hotfixes, is there anything running in the background. If so, can i prevent any of that from installing? Or can i delete them.

What I'm doing is using the pc for only 1 purpose only. Audio recording. I don't want any other microsoft crap using the processor. No internet connection ever. Know what I mean?

Only 1 other program besides the audio program (cubase) needs to run and that is just for the hardware.

Basically i just want to install the absolute minimums of XP. But i do need the service pack and hotfixes for driver related issues.

Thanx

you can use nlite to remove alot of things. be ware tho that some things that may not seem necasery may still be need for your sittuation, i can tell you though if your only doing audio stuff you can remove alot of things from a install and still have all of the functionality.

[When you do a fresh install of XP Pro sp2/slipstreamed and ALL hotfixes, is there anything running in the background. If so, can i prevent any of that from installing? Or can i delete them.

What I'm doing is using the pc for only 1 purpose only. Audio recording. I don't want any other microsoft crap using the processor. No internet connection ever. Know what I mean?

Only 1 other program besides the audio program (cubase) needs to run and that is just for the hardware.

Basically i just want to install the absolute minimums of XP. But i do need the service pack and hotfixes for driver related issues.]

---------

nlite is a great way to put XP on a diet.

For your use you might also consider NOT slipstreaming SP 2 or most of the newer hotfixes and updates (critical or otherwise). If you are never connecting to the internet with this machine it will not need most of this stuff (maybe none of it depending on what you are using application wise). And most of the updates will actually slow your machine down somewhat. Plus they do use HD space (including space needed for their uninstallers) and CPU cycles, whether you need them or not.

Other things like system recovery are generally not needed in situations like yours. Investigate nlite (it's not all that complicated) and check out bold fortunes guide too and you could seriousely speed up and slim down your XP install.

I do these things and the performance on my 2 year old P-4 3.2-EE machine runs head to head with up to date and supposedly much faster machines quite easily.

You might even consider using an XP Gold release (if you have access to one) as SP 1 is also almost exclusively internet oriented. If you are not on line with this machine you don't need any of it. All it represents in your case is unneccessary overhead. Dump it.

It's one thing to disable all but 4 or 5 Services, and its another thing to use nlite and remove 250, 350, 450 MBs of components that don't really serve for what you use your PC for. I mean, you can remove Windows Tour, ancient codecs, background images, screensavers and CDplayer crap built into Xp for your middle aged man just upgrading from freakin' WinME.... OR you can read and learn a thing or two and actually get your install down a lot more by removing some protocols and components and just rely on 3rd party software that is better looking, newer, has better functionality, etc.

It's Up To You.

Edited by Jeremy

Much appreciated help I've recieved.

I am going to do the nlite deal and see how it works. Probably just with SP2 and a firewire hotfix that windows has and cut the crap out of XP.

I'll come back and let all know how it worked..

Thanx again freinds.... :hello:

hahah, now its become no services? I see 2 lol

but you must do that manual after boot

and also, you cant copy/paste stuff anymore without rpc

and your cant restart without lsass

and you cant open explorer w/o services.exe

Edited by gdogg

just because the service isn't in services.msc doesn't mean your running no services.

if anything like crss.exe or system appears in taskmanager you are still running services.

and then you have drivers, probbally about 100-200 half of which that get loaded at startup or loaded when you use stuff.

check it out yourself, grab serviwin

Edited by gdogg

gdogg

The only programs are as follows...

1) Cubase (audio recording/production)

2) Firepod 2.14.25 (control panel for the interfaces that plug in via firewire)

more info on the firepod program can be found at http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html#downloads

gdogg

The only programs are as follows...

1) Cubase (audio recording/production)

2) Firepod 2.14.25 (control panel for the interfaces that plug in via firewire)

more info on the firepod program can be found at http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html#downloads