What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

He probabaly had Norton or Symantec or McAfee which would slow down his already slow machine. Had he tried Kaspersky or NOD32, he would be flabbergasted. Both KAV and NOD32 have new versions within the past few days as well, both finals.

after a few ins and outs with vista, i use avast still, and have told a few friends to get it, and they've all noticed improvements, but if i ever need a lower usage one, i have the AVG installer, and i've used it before and it pleases me, its not glittery, its not over-done, its an anti-virus softare.

I suggest using ClamWin.

I will NOT use AVG. Having secret time bombs in your software is simply unacceptable!!

Azagahl, it was something you overlooked and seemingly coincidentally happening at the same time of trying AVG, so you chose to blame incorrectly, happens sometimes. However, if I were you, I would have got to the bottom of it instead of just blaming something and ending it there. I prefer not to be misguided. :thumbup

ClamWin:

Main GUI

Not a whole lot to that. It could lead you to believe there's very little to the program at all, but surprisingly the preferences are vast.

Preferences - General

Preferences - Filters

Preferences - Updates

Preferences - Proxy

Preferences - Scheduled Scans

Preferences - E-mail Alerts

Preferences - Archives

Preferences - File Locations

Preferences - Reports

Preferences - Advanced

Processes after full system scan

System Scan Report

This anti-virus is nice as far as the GUI and memory usage go, but unfortunately, according to the Admin of AV-Comparatives (click Here) ClamWin detects ~60% of the total amount of viruses they test AV with.

Sure you can argue using a point I made asking what the chances are of actually getting one of the ~40% of viruses that ClamWin apparently doesn't detect, but personally I'd rather an AV that misses only 1-2% than ~40%. But then again, that post is from 11/07/2005. :P

Also, the fact that it can be run portably will win points from many users. If you just need something small, portable that can scan quickly, then sure I'd recommend ClamWin. For heavy duty work that needs to be taken critically, Kaspersky or NOD32.

Edited by Jeremy

>seemingly coincidentally happening at the same time of trying AVG

Yes, I noticed that the secret time bomb went off while I was using AVG.

What an amazing coincidence!!!!!111!!!one!!! I expected to notice the problem while NOT using the product!!

>Azagahl, it was something you overlooked

>you chose to blame incorrectly

>if I were you, I would have got to the bottom of it

If I were you, I would have got to bottom of having meaningless and misguided post, incorrect grammar, and awkward sentence structure. I'd also blame myself for the overlooking instead of ending it there.

Start by fixing your own grammatical errors and poor sentence structure before you start trying to correct others. Also, if you can't accept that people correct you because you incorrectly diagnose a situation, you're in the wrong place.

Stop increasing the noise-to-signal ratio. I'm looking for an intelligent dialog. From my original post:

>Having secret time bombs in your software [AVG] is simply unacceptable

And again, I reiterate. There are no time-bombs in AVG.

azagahl, I just came back from a beautiful stay in my hometown, nature trails, away from all this technology that makes people lazy, away from nitpicky ignorant people, laughing and having a great time with best friends, you know...

The last thing I want to read when I return is some super-paranoid grammar-obsessed guy going on about "time bombs" in anti-virus software. I say you blame AVG for something else's fault. You bite back with "pointlessness" and "awkward sentence structure". This is a typical attempt to point out every possible interpreted fault by the other person so that you can avoid the issue at hand, which is that you don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about. If you did, you would see other people besides yourself complaining about AVG's so-called time-bombs.

Maybe you mean to say "It's not a timebomb because of X" or "It's not AVG's fault but X's fault" and then specify what X is.

You want to know what X is? I'll tell you. "It's not a timebomb because azagahl is the only person who thinks AVG has time-bombs." "It's not AVG's fault but azagahl's fault."

In brief, you're an id***.

Google, the world's largest search engine with over 9 billion pages indexed, does not return a single valid result for "AVG timebomb", yet you believe it to be true. If it were true, the search would return at least one other person claiming the same thing.

Proof of concept, doing a quick search of Sony rootkit will reveal hundreds of relevant results.

So again, AVG does not have timebombs. Oh and lest I forget, interestingly enough, through all your request for us to provide proof to you that AVG is not at fault... you have not provided one piece of concrete evidence that AVG DOES contain timebombs.