650 MHz Pentium III CPU on Microstar MS6147

oviradoi

Hello

I have a computer: a SiS motherboard, P3@650MHz, 500 RAM, 23GB HDD, and my PS2 keyboard slot (where you plug in the keyboard) has BROKEN!!!.

Beacause I can't use my keyboard anymore, I was thinking of taking the CPU, RAMs and HDD and putting them on my other computer:

a Microstar MS6147 motherboard (you will find some details about it here):

http://support.tangent.com/hardware/motherboard/mbx-009.htm

It has a Pentium 2 @ 350 MHz CPU

I want to know if it is possible to put my CPU in the second (MS6147) motherboard, and if the motherboard will support it.

The CPU is a slot 1 CPU

Please help

Hello

I have a computer: a SiS motherboard, P3@650MHz, 500 RAM, 23GB HDD, and my PS2 keyboard slot (where you plug in the keyboard) has BROKEN!!!.

Beacause I can't use my keyboard anymore, I was thinking of taking the CPU, RAMs and HDD and putting them on my other computer:

a Microstar MS6147 motherboard (you will find some details about it here):

http://support.tangent.com/hardware/motherboard/mbx-009.htm

It has a Pentium 2 @ 350 MHz CPU

I want to know if it is possible to put my CPU in the second (MS6147) motherboard, and if the motherboard will support it.

The CPU is a slot 1 CPU

Please help

dont u have any extra USB ports? or the old serial port? y not just buy a new keyboard compatible for USB or Serial (in case u have thos ports) instead of using another mobo w/c is slower.. :huh:

Or just find an other PS/2 port, lots of hardware stores have motherboards that they trow away, just ask one from them. They will be happy I think that you take there garbage. :P;)

Edited by puntoMX

no, th ps2 port on the motherboard is broken (i think it has broken its connection with the motherboard). In the past, when the keyb wouldn't work, I would move it around in its hole until it would work. But now I can't get it to work AT ALL.

Fixing it would require to get it off the motherboard, thing that can't be done.

I don't think my BIOS works with an USB keyboard. An USB keyboard would work for Windows, but not DOS, what do I do when I have to reinstall my windows,

So, please write if you know it's possible (or impossible) for the second (Microstar MS6147) motherboard to accept the P3 650 MHz CPU.

PS. Even with the P2 CPU, Windows XP starts better on the Microstar Motherboard then on the SiS motherboard.

And the video board is an ATI Rage pro 2x, better than the SiS 650 one I have. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 worken on the Microstar with P2 350 MHz CPU (worked slowly) and on the SiS one it would't work AT ALL (not even menu)

So I think speed won't be a problem

To answer your question...

The MSI motherboard using the Intel 440BX chipset which does support 100MHz FSB PIII CPUs. So yes, the PIII 650 should work. You may need a BIOS update so do that before removing the PII 350.

no, th ps2 port on the motherboard is broken (i think it has broken its connection with the motherboard). In the past, when the keyb wouldn't work, I would move it around in its hole until it would work. But now I can't get it to work AT ALL.
That's even easier to fix if just the solder joint is cracked. A few seconds with a soldering iron should fix it. Edited by LLXX

That's even easier to fix if just the solder joint is cracked. A few seconds with a soldering iron should fix it.

I don't know if that could work.

As far as I know, motherboards are made of layers of boards, each one with its own circuit, and tiny (almost invisible to the naked eye) resistors are inbetween each layer. I think that if you use a soldering iron you could burn those tiny resistors the whole board could be dead

But anyway, I solved the problem.

I flashed the old motherboads's BIOS with the newest BIOS, and set my jumpers on the motherboard to support the CPU, and... it didn't work. The PC would start, and do absolutely nothing, and nothing would appear on screen.

The happy part was that it didn't blow my PIII 650 MHz CPU.

One of the reasons I didn't want to buy an USB keyboard was that all they had were multimedia keyboards, and with angled keys. I can't stand those keyboards. I like the simple old keyboards.

I went and got a PS2 to USB adapter, with tich i could plug in my mouse and keyboard into the USB. And it worked, in DOS too.

The only thing is that my keyboard works a little slowly

Thanks for your help

Bye

Google is your friend: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...?UID=108&kind=1

According to MSI, your mainboard may support up to 1GHz Pentium 3 processor.

Additionally, MSI states specifically that this mainboard supports a PIII@650MHz (Coppermine)--but only on versions having a blue sticker with the letter "C" located on the Winbond I/O chip located near the serial port.

Glad to hear your PS2-to-USB adapter works for you, I've not had much luck with them (incompatible with many mainboards).

Good Luck!