HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

also another Win2K issue. The patch KB923689 (MS06-078) shows up missing under MBSA while no mention (whether present or not) of it is made under HFNetChk. The hotfix is, of course, present in the HF folder.
I wouldn't worry about MBSA too much, though I must admit that KB923689 is an awful hotfix. It updates wmvcore.dll, but there are several versions contained in the package. A different one needs to be installed depending on the version of Windows Media Player, and if that isn't enough it also depends on the WMP codec level (whether wmfdist*.exe is installed or not). I just let HFSLIP check the source and what's in the HF folder and, based on that, do what the installation INF of the hotfix does. If that doesn't satisfy MBSA...

i know. some of their patches are really really messy. i noticed the five different variations of wmvcore.dll. in addition now you mention it checks another variable (wmfdist) for installation. as if there weren't enough complications already!!! but what about HFNetChk ? it doesn't even mention MS06-078, whether it's installed or missing. can u figure out why that would be ? (i did use the updated mssecure.xml). also, did you notice any other issues/problems going through those log files ? (i know there were two different 282784s, wink2k and xpsp1 of which I removed the one for win2k but apart from that). thanks!

I should've checked your logs earlier because it's clear why MBSA is complaining.

Please put MPSetup.exe and wmfdist.exe in the HF folder. HFSLIP won't copy over any version of wmvcore.dll from the KB923689 hotfix into SOURCESS\I386 for Windows 2000 if neither WMP9 nor wmfdist are detected in the HF folder.

Also, what's rootsupd.exe? If it's the Roots Certificate Update from Microsoft you can put it in the HF folder as well.

oh! i thought all three were supposed to be in the hfsvcpack_sw folder ? cuz wmp9 was getting slipstreamed by hfslip. anyways i've moved all three to HF (yes rootsupd is the roots certificate update) will do a new build and hopefully there won't be any issues. btw qfecheck is not getting installed either. i removed the win2k patch and replaced it with the xpsp1 patch and when hfslip got to that patch it showed "0 files copied". thanks for all the help

Edited by johndoe74

oh! i thought all three were supposed to be in the hfsvcpack_sw folder ?
HFSLIP supports MPSetup.exe and wmfdist.exe in the HFSVCPACK_SW folder but if you want them slipstreamed they need to be placed in HF. My update lists have been showing them in the HF folder for quite some time now.
btw qfecheck is not getting installed either. i removed the win2k patch and replaced it with the xpsp1 patch and when hfslip got to that patch it showed "0 files copied".
I don't know... It's working for me. I have Q282784_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe in the HF folder. Are you using HFSLIP 70316a?

actually i wasn't using 70316a. it was only this morning that I saw the changelog and it occurred to me that it wasn't 70306 (v1.4.1) which I was using that supported qfecheck but 70316a. I've hfslipped using 70316a but haven't had a chance to install it yet which I'll do ASAP and get back to you. As for the issue with HFSVCPACK_SW I guess it must have come from reading Vorck's guide cuz that's how I first got started with HFSLIP - and that's how it shows on his guide - WMP9 setup in HFSVCPACK_SW. thanks for all the help. i'll let you know regarding qfecheck

Edited by johndoe74

just got done playing with new build of win2k. everything works great now! :D

qfecheck working, MS06-078 (KB923689) installed and showing up properly checked in MBSA (tho still no sign of it in HFNetChk. Aw hell, ya can't win 'em all can ya :D)

thanks tomcat. purrfect job! :D

hello! i've attached some files for your review as i still couldn't get to make ie7 & wmp11 to work ... been trying while i was silent recently :( if i remember it right, installing it at t-13 was the last time it worked great + the addons ... i haven't been successful in slipstreaming it ... running iexplore.exe from run brings up ie7 but for a split sec only then quits ... thanks!

thanks TC! it's actually trial & error for me now while i was away ... will do some more tests ... i'm certain something breaks my install >:( ... just couldn't pinpoint it yet ... i'm going back to not slipstreaming ie in a while ... would like to run many more tests but need to sleep too ... he! he!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
<snip>

Changes:

- [2K] 64-bit LBA support through reg.exe is now also possible if the path to the HFSLIP work folder contains spaces

- added credit for 64-bit LBA code (sorry, Wendy!)

<snip>

Just a small typo, but shouldn't 64-bit really be 48-bit, unless there's a 64-bit LBA registry tweak that I'm unaware of.

the_guy

• 2 weeks later...