HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

hi, i just tried out 70506b and all is good - WUA 3.0 and everything except KB887998 seems to again show up missing in MBSA on XP MCE 2K5. since integration of 887998 was itself a recent development, could you maybe check the code again to see if you maybe missed anything. i know it did work when you shipped the initial release with 887998 support, dunno which in interim build it went bad again

also, in hfcabs i got two files APR2007_d3dx10_33_x86.cab and DEC2006_d3dx10_00_x86.cab. do i need those or is it okay to get rid of them ? cuz xp don't have dx10 support *yet*. same thing with my win2kpro build - safe to delete?

Edited by johndoe74

Can you start a new thread for the .NET 1.0 problem and include the TXTSETUP.SIF file from the new source? Also check if NETFX.CAB was updated (newer date).

Nothing was changed in regard to the handling of MCE 2005 hotfixes since the release that initially added support for these (1.4.2).

If the game you want to play requires the d3dx10 files then you need them. MS wouldn't include them in the DX9 installer if they weren't supported.

HFSLIP allows slipstreaming of the d3dx10 files into Windows 2000 but this is not supported by MS. That's why my 2K list doesn't include them.

alright, will do, i'm currently doing another build, will try that and if the problem persists, will start a new thread.

regarding those dx10 files, i meant to ask, even if they do get slipstreamed, what's the point if they don't get utilized as the underlying API is OS unsupported. my understanding was they included those files cuz if somebody fubarred their dx10 in vista, they could use the common/generic standalone/redistributable to reinstall it again to restore those files.

Edited by johndoe74

Can you start a new thread for the .NET 1.0 problem and include the TXTSETUP.SIF file from the new source? Also check if NETFX.CAB was updated (newer date).

Nothing was changed in regard to the handling of MCE 2005 hotfixes since the release that initially added support for these (1.4.2).

Jumping in for a hot sec....

I run a few batch files to do installs and cleanup after first reboot (or is it first logon?), the first one is:

IF NOT EXIST "c:\cleanup\executive.txt" goto dotnet2	<- file is dropped locally for TabletPC machine

:dotnet1sp3
NDP1.0sp3-KB887998-X86.exe /passive /qb /norestart

:dotnet2 <- no code here just fallout

as I am using the same source for XP and Tablet PC. works nice. Net 1.0 is only installed on Tablet or MCE. Will slipstreaming update the files in CMPNENTS dir? I will have to give this a try in a few days when I get my hands on a tablet.

Well... Slipstreaming the .NET 1.0 update is only possible if a source is detected as MCE. This is done by checking for the existence of SOURCE\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR\I386.

If that folder isn't there, it won't be slipstreamed.

These versions are test builds. Use them at your own risk.

A new final was released on May 12. If you were referred to this thread prior to May 12, please get the final from the main thread.

HFSLIP home page

Download: hfslip-70515a

Changes:

- [2K+IE6] six more IE-specific binaries are slipstreamed

which six ? anything I should know about ? :)

I don't know if you should know... :P

browsewm.dll, csseqchk.dll, dw15.exe, ieshared.chm, msratelc.dll and setupwbv.dll.

These are all new binaries (they don't exist in a vanilla Win2K SP4 source). But since HFSLIP has a special automatic filter for new binaries now they are no longer deleted after extraction from the CABs.

However, I doubt these files are really important. HFSLIP removed them since the beginning (January 2005) and nobody has ever noted any problems.

The main purpose of the test release is to see if there are any problems when those files are slipstreamed. I couldn't notice any during Windows setup, starting up IE and going to Windows Update.

I'm not exactly sure, but the browsewm.dll file could be responsible/needed for the Media side bar in Internet Explorer. I need to check that on an installation that doesn't have browsewm.dll.

Edited by Tomcat76

(4) HFSVCPACK_SW1 and HFSVCPACK_SW2

HFSVCPACK_SW1 is for executables requiring /quiet /norestart switches and for MSI files

HFSVCPACK_SW2 is for executables requiring /Q:A /R:N switches

HFSLIP creates these folders automatically. If HFSVCPACK_SW exists, any MSI files will be moved to HFSVCPACK_SW1, any executables into HFSVCPACK_SW2, and then HFSVCPACK_SW is removed.

RIP HFSVCPACK_SW - died bravely fighting till the very end - deserved nothing less than a medal of honor and a 21-gun salute :no:

Edited by johndoe74

(5) CAPICOM-KB931906

The MSI installer within the executable is installed from SVCPACK.

You may place the MSI in HFSVCPACK_SW1 yourself if you prefer.

MSI 3.1 needs to be slipstreamed as well.

hi, i just did a new build with 70524a. It's awesome :thumbup

Everything installs fine, everything works great. Even the unsupported hotfixes, KB907265, KB934238 and KB907306! (although only KB907265 shows up in add/remove, i checked and the files from the other two are also present - i believe the reason they don't show up in add/remove has to do with the way the patches are built/installed rather than anything to do with hfslip itself)

just one question regarding the capicom thingy - yes again :D

earlier you had suggested using the msi from the sdk "capicom_dc_sdk.msi" yet the latest builds include support for the other CAPICOM hotfix "CAPICOM-KB931906-v2102.exe". i know this one also contains an .msi "capicom2.msi" but what's the difference between the contents of the two and which one would you personally suggest going with ?

Someone said in another thread that "the big one" is an SDK and that is correct. It appears that CAPICOM-KB931906-v2102.exe contains the full "viewer" just like the hotfixes for MSXML4 and 6 contain all files needed for the full MSXML4/6 parsers.

BTW... You're a day late: there's already a newer test release... :P