[Help] Registry

llyndon

Hey there...I am probably in the wrong place, but Ill give this a try. My PC was running soooo slow so I decided to download not one but about 12 different registry cleaner freewares(not all at the same time) so now on top of not having fixed the problem, I have compounded it by adding more crap to it. I have uninstalled so many times and I alos have one program that I cant seem to delete. Can anyone help? I know I am pathetic.

Please NOW in Microsoft Windows XP section, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

See rules

--Sonic

:o

Have you tried creating a new account? The problem may only lie in the user's registry (NTUSER.DAT), not the computer's.

Also, have you tried hitting F8 when your computer boots and choosing to boot from the "Last Known Good Configuration"?

If that didn't work, well, I think the only choice you have is to reformat. Anyone have any other ideas? :}

I don't trust all those "free registry cleaner!" that keeps coming up often in the advertising. Most of them either don't work, may do something insignificant, or completely trash the registry.

When performance is a problem, the registry is nearly always not corrupted or otherwise damaged. Excessive startup entries and malware are probably the cause.

Would help to post a HiJackThis log...

I would agree with N1k. Do you have a backup of your registry that youc could revert to? Then it could be helpful if you could post your task manage screenie showing all the proceses running and the specs on your computer. In the meantime you could download MS Defender, Spybot, Adaware, update all their definitions and run them. Then downloade ewido from ewido.com and update its definitions, then boot into safe mode and run it. Also get CCleaner and use it to get rid of junk from your hard drives as well as from the registry. I use RegSeeker, Sys Mech 5 and CCleaner to keep the registry clean. Then you might want to defrag if your machine is still alive after this point. Also there are some registry tweaks regarding filesystems you might want to apply which I will let you know if youare interested and have made it this far! Good luck!!!

If you have uninstalled a program just by delete the folder in "Program Files" you can use RegSeeker and find and delete all references of the name of the program. and PLEASE describe exactly what's your problem ...

if just slow down, it's not a registry problem but a spyware/virus ... try HiJackThis to clean your system ...