[HowTo] Keep windows Xp Secure and Running Fast

WolfX2

I know forcing a home user to learn how to use the hardware device is time-consuming (and oftentimes downright maddening), but it is ultimately better for the OS in the long run (if you're hitting the software firewall, you're already hitting a box that can be exploited). Multiple layers of security and all that.
I 100% agree but, I 110% agree with the maddening part too, most people will probably print this off and give this to there "less ehem umm, may i dare say geeky, family members" and for that pourpose, this does just fine :lol: Edited by wolf74481

Part 3:Build Your Firewall (be careful, HOT!)

Use a firewall! (not windows firewall :} )

Why not? I known this firewall only checks outgoing connections, but kerio really drive me crazy. Outpost too... so i change back to SP2 firewall and my router firewall. :}

Make Windows Dump Your History After a day

start>control panel>Internet options

where it says "specify how many days Internet explorer should save the list of the websites you you have visited" set it to 0. Now if you need to get a site it will still be there for the day but after 23:59 hrs your History will erase itself.

Now you are go to far a bit....? History could be usefull to search a page which you have visited and forgot to bookmark it. But if you are a visitor of pr0nsites and your wife may not know, then i understand you set it to 0. :whistle:
But thats only half the Battle!

Theres allot more notes that you didn't get rid of! But its CCleaner to the rescue! It scans your system for temp files and cleans out all the Junk! you should run this every week.

Thats not true...? I have runned CCleaner and checked the C:\windows\temp. it was still full with stuff so i add it handmatically to CCleaner to clean this map too.

Edited by SolidasRock

Why not? I known this firewall only checks outgoing connections, but kerio really drive me crazy. Outpost too... so i change back to SP2 firewall and my router firewall.
I run into this all the time! If you were to just use windows firewall i suppose you would be fine, but as the old saying goes.. "better safe than sorry"
Now you are go to far a bit....? History could be usefull to search a page which you have visited and forgot to bookmark it. But if you are a visitor of pr0nsites and your wife may not know, then i understand you set it to 0
:rolleyes::lol: funny! I kno its a bit much, thats why i will take your advice and change it to 1 or 2 days but thats as far as i go!, its all for preformence my good buddy :)
Thats not true...? I have runned CCleaner and checked the C:\windows\temp. it was still full with stuff so i add it handmatically to CCleaner to clean this map too.
[added to guide]

@Everyone - Its really nice to hear all your input! Its you guyes that help make the guide better! and so far your doing a great job :)

Edited by wolf74481

Finally, get the Kernal up off the HD and into ram where it can run hundreds of times faster.

That GREATLY improves system performance.

Andromeda43

what do you mean by this?

i know xp is better at doing this anyway, do u mean something else?

@BlueMe - what would you like me to call it? (no really, I'm actully asking you! I'm always open to suggestions)

@kurt476 - its free for now (until its out of beta) and if they take as long as they are with the betas for ms anti-spy and windows defender it will be free for a long time! ;) but when its costs to have it i will take it off the list, and add something else! :)

Edited by wolf74481

For over the past 5 years now i haven't ran a popup blocker/anti-virus nor a firewall. An i haven't had any problems at all. Hell i don't even do a windows update. (I got my system restore turned off and automatic updates turned off.)

Btw.. i don't recommand zonealarm for a firewall at all.. Since a very nice and smiple DDos attacks can kill the firewall without any problems at all.. So i recommand using "8Sign Firewall" which you can get here: http://www.consealfirewall.com/

it's very very easy to use and don't have alot of crap build into the firewall like zonealarm. An easy to make your own rulesets, which can be imported from older versions of the firewall or if u had to do a reinstall.

Edited by Sn4k36

Hi,

Well thought out and well written guide.

Does anybody have any idea or opinions (or even evidence/proof) as to how much "damage limitation" creating a Limited User Account in WinXP would/does make in the event of virus or other malware infection? Especially for internet use.

Waywyrd :)

My tip, but forget it if you aren't using NTFS:

There is a group called Administrators, and Users. Remove your account from Administrators, and add it to Users. Start -> Run -> lusrmgr.msc

There ain't nothing like "I have an anti-virus and anti-spyware and am unable to clean my computer [because the virus is deeply embedded into every nook and cranny], guess I will have to format!"

My tip, but forget it if you aren't using NTFS:

There is a group called Administrators, and Users. Remove your account from Administrators, and add it to Users. Start -> Run -> lusrmgr.msc

There ain't nothing like "I have an anti-virus and anti-spyware and am unable to clean my computer [because the virus is deeply embedded into every nook and cranny], guess I will have to format!"

I've already altered my Administrators account, and that's why I was wondering how much "truth" there is in limiting virus or malware to one account/profile. Especially as it's relatively easy for "Newbies" to set up seperate accounts.