[Question] - Does some Win2k3 files speed XP up?

HeadHunter2

I wouldn't think so, cause Windows Server 2003 actually is a complete different OS than XP (though it doesn't look so), and replacing its bootfiles is really risky then.

Even replacing changed files from (for example) XP SP1 to XP SP2 is dangerous, and since the kernel version of XP (5.1) is lower than the one from 2003 (5.2), I wouldn't even try this cause your Windows may not boot anymore.

windows will boot, its just a bootloader

but, when using with overclocking memory, your computer might become unstable.

why? who knows, just whats been said.

Even if Windows would still boot after replacing the files (though it doubt it since even the file sizes from the two versions are different), it definately won't speed it up. That requires a lot more tweaking than just replacing two boot files :unsure:

To speed up Windows boot times:

a ) Disable all startup items that you don't need/want (use AutoRuns for this)

b ) Defrag your drive. Best bet performance wise is PerfectDisk, but the Windows Defragmenter is better than nothing.

c ) Use NTRegOpt to optimize the registry. This is the only registry compression/optimization tool that I would recommend using.

Other than that, there isn't all too much that you can do to a regular XP install to speed things up. If you're willing to take the time to test a few times, you can try using nLite, but you should do some reading first to see what you're getting into - there's the potential to make your favorite software not work once you've nLited your XP.

One last option is to use hibernation instead of shutdown. You'll get much faster "boot" times than a full boot, and there's not really too much reason not to use it.

I don't think ntdetect.com and ntldr take up much time of the total boot process anyway. Replacing the kernel with a 2k3 one, however, might make a difference (if it could be done... somehow)

Correct - when optimising code you look at shaving a small amount off a section which is used frequently, there is no real gain it shaving even 5 seconds off a process used just once.

Once the kernel (and possibly SCSI driver) is loaded the boot loader's job is over, and that entire process takes a very short amount of time.

W2K3 SP1 kernel is in XP x64 ;)

b ) Defrag your drive. Best bet performance wise is PerfectDisk, but the Windows Defragmenter is better than nothing.

c ) Use NTRegOpt to optimize the registry. This is the only registry compression/optimization tool that I would recommend using.

Thanks Zxian NTRegOpt is extremely good.

Pawan

To speed up Windows boot times:

Other than that, there isn't all too much that you can do to a regular XP install to speed things up. If you're willing to take the time to test a few times, you can try using nLite, but you should do some reading first to see what you're getting into - there's the potential to make your favorite software not work once you've nLited your XP.

One last option is to use hibernation instead of shutdown. You'll get much faster "boot" times than a full boot, and there's not really too much reason not to use it.

Hello, everyone

here's is some more tips:

1.Go to My computer and right click on C:

2. Go to properties

3. Go to tools

4. Go to error checking

5 Click on bad seactors and file fix errors and click start and when you finish, restart windows.

Disk cleanup

1. Go to my computer

2. right click on c:

3. go to properties

4. click on Disk Cleanup

5. click on ok