WinXP: Replacing Notepad with Notepad2 for installs.

Cl1mh4224rd

The HFEXPERT page is, well... vague... so I want to clarify this before I go trashing things.

1) Rename Notepad2.exe to notepad.exe.

2) Create the HFEXPERT directory (alongside the other directories).

3) Create the APPREPLACEMENT directory inside of the HFEXPERT directory.

4) Place the "new" notepad.exe in the APPREPLACEMENT directory.

5) Place modifype.exe in the HFTOOLS directory.

Seems pretty straightforward, but then there's this warning:

If you put a windows protected file here, setup may fail telling you it's not signed. You have been warned!

I'm not too sure, but this would apply to Notepad, wouldn't it? If so, is there a way to disable SFP from the very beginning?

Thanks.

What you have for the notepad replacement is fine. In fact, other programs I swap are the mplayer2.exe (media player classic) and taskmgr.exe (sysinternals process explorer). Now if you tried swapping explorer.exe, *that* would be a file type that would cause problems.

Depending on what OS you are running, you can disable your SFC by the FIX folder. For 2k you need a modded sfc.dl_, for XP you need a sfc_os.dl_ file.

Edited by tommyp

• 3 months later...

doing a normal unattended you would replace notepad.exe with notepad2.exe (obviously renamed to notepade.exe) in the i386 folder and also add a copy to $OEM$\$$\system32\dllcache so that it used your none signature version in install and was also a permamnet copy on pc - and you don't then get that message

:no: Super-Magician, you're wrong !

When using APPREPLACEMENT, the target file ("notepad.exe" here) is replaced in the i386 folder.

The DLLCACHE feature is a part of SFC, and it's done during windows setup... with the files in i386 :D

:no: oioldman, you're wrong !

During a normal install (that is, without HFSLIP, attended or unattended), you would replace the original file yourself following these steps :

ren notepad2.exe notepad.exe

modifype notepad.exe -c

makecab /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX notepad.exe

del notepad.exe

move /y notepad.ex_ X:\CDROOT\i386

It is exactly what is done during APPREPLACEMENT process (but the original file is not deleted).

(there's no point using $OEM$ : it leaves the original notepad in place)

/me is still looking for the msfn unattended guide and fred vork's hfslip manual :lol:

Edited by Delprat

Well, for the DLLCACHE, can't you do a T-13 or something (this might create problems, though - I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing)?

Or, you could simply use a modified SFC*.dll (SFC.dll for 2K, SFC_OS.dll for XP, 2K3).

/me is still looking for the msfn unattended guide and fred vork's hfslip manual :lol:
HFSLIP Manual

Unattended Guide

• Was that sarcasm??

Edited by Super-Magician

Well, for the DLLCACHE, can't you do a T-13 or something (this might create problems, though - I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing)?

Why bothering with replacing a file on HDD during late setup stages when you can replace the file in the source CD/DVD ???

SFC will not complain if the modded file checksum is set by modifype.

Or i'm using a hacked windows since 2 1/2 years :o:(

Did you (or someone else) tested to place a (modded) file in HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\dllcache ?

I beleive it would drive SFC mad ?

• Was that sarcasm??

I don't remember :P

btw, your urls are wrong !

MSFN Unattended guide : replacing other modified files

Fred Vorck's HFSLIP manual (but this one is the page about APPREPLACEMENT)

:P

Camarade_Tux : If the replaced file is modpe'ed, the setup will install it. That's enough for me, and i will not try to get errors only to discover that i should have modpe'ed a file in order to have no errors :wacko::crazy:

(if it works, then it works)

Super-Magician : No information at all is better than bad, false or incomplete information. (cf "1984") :)

Edited by Delprat