Article on slashdot

tain

There is an article on slashdot right now titled "Installing Windows with Recent Updates?" There are lots of ideas mentioned and it is obviously right up our alley. You can find the article here: http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=175501...ort=0&op=Change

And I plugged HFSLIP here: http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=175501&cid=14591997

You know, this is one of the reasons I hate Slashdot, if I can b*tch a little. The bury TAiN's advice because moderators don't read correctly (moderation is rotating, if you are a member and log in regularly, one day, you will have mod powers randomly). They don't read flat, they read nested, for example, and read at 2 or 3 instead of -1... but that's Slashdot-specific stuff.

On slashdot, some id*** suggests SYSPREP which has nothing to do with slipstreaming hotfixes, and the comment gets the highest marks from clueless mods who give marks to loudmouthed authoritarians rather than people who simply state correct answers. Include a statement about Liberals versus Conservatives, for example, and people give those comments top points. Meanwhile TAiN's answer wallows in obscurity.

I submit this to Digg, it goes nowhere. Though arguably people reading Digg will give high marks to sensational crap like a new version of the iPod being announced or something. Usenet? It never catches on. People go to freakin' Microsoft and search the KB for their answers?!?!? WTF!?!? What else bothers me is that people Fight. So. F??kin. HARD. against this knowledge. And why? Some people are addicted to unattended installs and would rather tweak for a month straight instead of using HFSLIP and being done in 10 minutes. Some other imb*cile out there who will remain unnamed has an entire site crediting himself for removing Windows components, claims _he_ taught Nuhi rather than vice-versa, and discourages people from visiting these forums. Because he wants fame, glory, and wants Windows hacking to be 'all his'. Nice.

I guess it boils down to marketing (Windows' success in the marketplace proves this I guess). We don't market HFSLIP. Granted, word of mouth has made it rather huge very quickly, but by now, more Sysadmins should know about it. It should be something every admin "just knows" about, like you flash the BIOS on a new motherboard you just bought, you run backups, and you make Windows with HFSLIP.

Okay, done with my rant. Sorry. But I really had to get that off my chest.

• 4 months later...

Try, try again!

Another, albeit less active, slashdot article.

And my nearly identical (because I am lazy and it is early in the AM) post.

Maybe someone with more caffeine can put up a better post for HFSLIP? We need some propaganda here, people! :lol:

re: Tain & Propoganda.

Not really, last time someone talked about using HFSLIP in a commercial environment TommyP didn't like it, stating if I recall "I didn't make HFSLIP to save on your business IT expenses." Which would seem to indicate that the designers don't really want it utilized in a professional environment.

Crash - You nailed it right on the head. All HFSLIP does is automate what any IT person should be able to figure out. Heck, I'm not IT person, I don't even do computers for a living. So if a dummy like me can figure out how to automate it, a trained IT person should be able to do it at his/her company.

true tom, exapt for 1 bigg isue.

you seamned to have the time to figure this out, and also had nearly no one who was looking over your shoulders WTF your was spending your valueable time with...

this doesn't make you better, worse or them idiots, it just explains why you could and they cant,

so in the end i actualy DO recomand this for every SysAdmin in town,

but with a HUGE sidenote, that they them selves still nead to test this, after a depoyment and

it would be Unethical to A: blame you for any errors, 2 expact you to give rocksollid support on any demand, etc etc.

i think hfslip is just a took that M$ should have released ages ago. but now you did, credits are alllll yours.

nothing really much ... but if HFSLIP goes commercial then we need to edit this: :) He! He!

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. HFSLIP can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

i knew some programs that used to be better before being commercialized ... commercialization would probabably involve patent/trademark issues ...

i love HFSLIP the way it is accessible today! indeed, it helps lots! (who knows there might be lots out there using HFSLIP but are just not out in the open ... ) :thumbup