best gaming os

baritone

i would have to say XP is a good OS... what i think would be awesome if it was possible... o create a a startup option (F8).. such as Safe Mode... Safe mode with networking... yada yada... but have an option for "Gaming Mode" which doesnt load most of your startup options, doesnt load unneeded services... etc etc..... and whatever else possible to temporarily adjust for maximum gaming performance.... or a "Restart in Gaming Mode" option from XP Shutdown dialog... ive seen people talk about creating 57 meg xp installs for gaming... but... myself.. i NEED xp and all those features most of the time.. i am not a big gamer... so i usually just MSConfig - and disable all the garbage and reboot...

Edited by renocivik

right now xp is hogging tons of memory

so i been using a .cmd file to kill services before the game starts helps abit but need more power

i might just put more memory

512 isnt much anymore so ill put 1 gig or so

Agree with ripken. Anything below 1 gig is not worth it at all. Hell I am thinking of upgrading to 2 gigs. It is so much better to not have the game stutter because the hard drive is thrasthing trying to load up this and that when with > 1 gig of memory everything can be loaded up even for BF2.

ok ill buy another stick of 512

my system right now is:

giga-byte kt400

xp 2600+ barton core

nvidia 5200 128meg i know a worthless card but it was free

going to overclock it and i put a good heavy duty fan to do it

my other video card was 7500 all in wonder 64meg but burn up bec of the mobo

sound blaster live 5.1

17 inch kds lcd

160 gig 8m 7200 drive

im going to save and build a amd fx60 dualcore system with raid0 and 1 or 2 gig mem

going to be about 2k to 3k wholesale by the time i build it

Go for 4GB of ram, trust me, you'll notice the difference, lol !!

and no... i'm not running windows, haha... i run fedora core 4, but i can still run games :) mainly call of duty, battlefield 2 and unreal tournament 2004 :)

Edited by undeadsoldier

well most almost all ppl say that 4gigs is just a waste and i agree. i bought 2x1 sticks so that if for some reason i ever need to upgrade to 4gigs, then i can. who knows what vista will bring, it could use a bunch of ram and you wont have enough for your games. but right now for XP 2 gigs is pretty much the max that you should have.

but undeadsoldier has fedora core 4 so i have no clue how it is on that