Athlon 64 Processors

hougtimo

PCI-E offers no advantages speed wise to AGP when talking about graphics cards because the AGP bus has not yet been saturated.

Funny you should mention this b/c I've noticed lots of 'enthusiast' people start selling their SLI boards (which are 8x in dual mode) for the 16x dual SLI speeds for the graphics cards (Such as the ASUS A8N32-SLI).

I find that mind boggling. Even in dual mode at 8x on PCIE, the vid cards are maybe at 10% their bandwidth limit, yet they MUST have the 16x on each SLI slot!

Edited by Vitalix

which enthusiasts are you talking about? i would not call them enthusiasts, i would call them dumb. the real enthusiasts want a high overclock. considering that the 7800gtx doesnt even use 8x(but is it close), why would they need 16x? i would just wait until i wanted to get a card that can even run over 8x, which may be a while.

A matter of opinion ripken. Oclocking makes no sense in that you are actually killing your hardware. That is why workstation mobos dont have oclocknig features. That does not mean a person with a dual opteron 280 setup and 8 gigs of ram and quadro 4500s in sli mode and a 30 inch lcd is not an enthusiast despite the fact that he doesnt oclock.

which enthusiasts are you talking about? i would not call them enthusiasts, i would call them dumb. the real enthusiasts want a high overclock. considering that the 7800gtx doesnt even use 8x(but is it close), why would they need 16x? i would just wait until i wanted to get a card that can even run over 8x, which may be a while.

I agree enthusiasts would spend the money more wisely, but dont forget about the demographic with more money than brains. Its a frickin big demographic!