Reputation (Karma) addon?

Martijn

I was just thinking, but would it be possible to have a reputation feature for the forum?

The advantage of such an mod would be that people can rate other peoples posts and it would also help in preventing spam, because everyone would want a good reputation :D

Please consider adding this ;)

I was just thinking, but would it be possible to have a reputation feature for the forum?

The advantage of such an mod would be that people can rate other peoples posts and it would also help in preventing spam, because everyone would want a good reputation :D

Please consider adding this ;)

Good idea, I have this on another forum I'm visiting. People can give you reputation points for every post you make.. :)

Thats possible but it will bring more load to xper as he has to update the modification everythime we upgrade the forums so he should get the highest reputation for doing it....

Other than that its very good indeed spammers will be shot down and good posters be kicked up. So i say GO for it :)

This sort of mod can lead to other problems too - unless you have some sort of time limit or control, one disgruntled user can destroy the reputations of multiple people in minutes, I have seen this on several other forums. Likewise, all it needs is a dummy account to boost your own rep up when it is less than shiny. Cliques end up voting for each other and against those who disagree with them.

For my 2cp, and no offence to the original poster, this would be a unneccessary mod and drain on resources, that can lead to tensions and problems. Are we really so insecure that we need the virtual ego boost this would give? :P

Anyway, I got enough negative karma waiting to bite me in the a** in my next life without another way to screw up :D

SP

Well, it would be possible to have it secured that you must spread the Karma over other members... ;)

Edit: btw, seapagan, why not use this image as an avatar? I added transparency to it :)

av156723sc.png

Edited by Martijn

Well, it would be possible to have it secured that you must spread the Karma over other members... ;)

Edit: btw, seapagan, why not use this image as an avatar? I added transparency to it :)

av156723sc.png

Would you be so kind and when I find avatar that would be suitable for me, do the transparency, 'cause I'm a photoshop noob :)

I have a different problem, I would like to use this avatar, but when I upload it here it's automatically resized and it looks horrible (it's to big).. Can I use it in it's original format..

Look at it:

image8if.gif

Edited by N1K

Yeah, sure, just let me know ;)

and there are boxes beneath the avatar upload panel wich allow you to set width and height ;)

Silly me, never paid attention to that little detail of width and height boxes

I like your avatar, and I wonder if you'd like to make similiar avatar for me..N1K written in the circle like yours.. :w00t:

BTW. sorry for off topic.. :whistle:

BTW. sorry for off topic.. :whistle:

Yeah guys, please stay on topic! :lol:

As for the mods, it is a real pain in the butt to reapply them all after every upgrade. I know xper already has a lot of mods installed on the forum. So let's try to keep his work load down as we all have lives outside of MSFN (I hope).

Well i have seen such karma on forum where links are exchanged. People beg for karma before giving the links.

On a tech forum , karma wont work. On those link exchanging forums people give karma to get links.

Why shall you be giving karma over here. Got your answer , off you go. It sounds harsh , but that is what shall happen.

Someone else may give karma , i do not have time. This shall be common.

Also that system would be based on the users. So would be inconsistent.

few users would be giving karma few wont. This would make some people with high karma and some would be left with very less.

Do not think it will work on a tech forum!!!!

I also think it wouldn't be of any good to MSFN. Many (thousands) new dummy account is not an insane's fantasy, it'd be the reality. I agree that we need a way to prevent all the spam on this board, but this would certainly not give us the results we'd have hoped for.

And of course: just ANOTHER hack...