Will Windows Become Adware?

atomizer

its an interesting idea, i doubt it would happen. people would probably just nlite the ads out or something :)

Yeah, it's probably just a matter of time before someone will come up with a "fix" to remove those ads :)

You fail to realize that the majority of computer users aren't geeks and have no clue as to what nLite is, let alone hack and remove ads. The average home user gets frustrated every day using his/her computer that has been infected with a virus and/or adware, simply because they don't know what to do.

At one time, it was unthinkable that the Internet would become commercialized and geeks were scoffing at the idea. I was one of them. Who predicted the ad-supported search or email schemes that Google came up with? Not many.

The reality of the matter is that there is big $$$ in advertising, and I see the eventual ad-supported software, not just Windows, something that will come to pass. Given time.

@No6 - that time is pretty much here, don't ya think? the template has been laid with ad supported shareware, demo's, etc.. i'd like to think that people won't tolerate ads in software they pay for, but i'm already wrong there. for the most part however i think that advertising will continue to be prevalent in share/demo-ware as it is now and paid for apps will remain ad-free for some time to come. then there's the open source people, who i admire so much, and who aren't motivated by the almighty $$$.

Yes, I agree that the groundwork has been done with ad-supported shareware and services. I think that Microsoft and other companies will push to have basic versions of their software supported by ads and distributed for free, and the "pro" versions for the higher demand users and the corporate.

Maybe in the days to come we'll see people making a shift toward open source, but again, the average person doesn't even know that there are alternatives.

True but then given that there is dissent amongst the Linux users ranks as to what DE to use and whether this package manager is good or that file system is better, no one in their right mind will move permanentyl to Linux and avoid totally all things Windows. Ease of use is non existent and so are games. And average person likes to play games ocassionaly, and not learn new things about a computer...they are happier with Windows thus the popularity of Windows.