$200 bucks for new video card...which one?

XPerties

Ok I'm 2 days away from picking up my new nvidia fx 5600 PNy...Here are the specs....

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5600 AGP 256MB

high-speed DDR 2 memory (256-bit) with DVI, VGA + S-video

(TV-out) outputs - Retail

which is costing me $210

Now I picked the new Maximum PC magizine up and was reading on the new ATI Radeon 9600 Pro which is in my price range.

Now this is my question. Which card in your opinion do you think I should get for perfomance. Do not let your likes and dislikes interfere, which one for the performance and money is what Im looking for.

The PNY has the new DDR 2 on it with 256 of it slapped on this botch. What you think?

I would check out the 3DMark website to see which scores better, but if I had the money and that same choice I would have gone with the ATi card, but that's just coz I haven't had a Nvidia card for a long time and good experience with ATi's...Either Way you'll have a good card but the Radeon 9600 beats the Geforce in all of the benchmarks, check out the reviews..

Here's some review's I found on Google,

Geforce 5600 Ultra @ IGN

Radeon 9600 @ HardOCP | Radeon 9600 @ HardOCP - Comparing against the Geforce 5600

I would check out that PNY card really close. I bought a PNT Ti 4600 and found that PNY really cuts back on the extras that most card makers give as an incentive to buy there card. Check all the features of each, you may surprise yourself as to your selection..

:)

Looks to me that the Radeon (128mb) is beating the FX (256mb)...

Now wtf is happening there?! lol...

The 256mb is only gonna help you allot if you have either very slow ram on your mainboard or less then 256mb ram since most games use more then 200mb and the other 56mb can easily be taken my XP and other apps running..

this confuses me to no end. If I compare your 3d mark scores and look at the core and memory speeds it shows this in 3dmark 2003

Core Clock===========54 MHz 331 MHz

Memory Clock======== 100 MHz 304 MHz

Mine being the first table, see a big bug there?

well I unfortantly got the PNY...Long story why but I guess it is ok. I still have some tweaking to do. Only getting around 2300 points in 3dmark 2003. :)  :rolleyes:

Im getting around 5300 with my Radeon 9500 ... It cost me ~200$

I've been an Nvidia fan for a long time but the new Radeons Rock! And regardless of the 3D Mark 2003 scores...from what I've seen using Unreal II as a test, the ATI graphics are just amazing both on the 9700's and 9800's.