KMan

Hi!

I am trying to convert my Installation from using XPlode to WIHU,

and while i'm at it, i miss a few features:

1. Running a Command Hidden
  2. Running a Command Asynchronisly
  3. Making WIHU a topmost window

Just a few more words to why:

1. not every window that pops up is informative and it looks quite ugly when those pop up all the time while others feature a cancel button which i dont want anyone to hit accidently while installation is running, i know this could lead to wihu to freeze if something isnt configured properly, but this could happen with any app i start with a quiet parm. So i personaly dont see a higher risk in running commands hidden. And even though i know BenjaminKalytta sees this differently, i still think i should be free to chose if i am willing to take that risk. So i obsequiously ask to please reconsider in adding such an option (all risk at users side :D)

2. i'm using an application that monitors a second one, which obviously needs to be started before the second one without waiting for it to finish. which was no problem under xplode, so it would be really nice to see this feature in wihu aswell

3. Basicly this is just intended as workaround for 1. just in case Benjamin would insist on not including 1, cause so at least the windows would pop up behind wihu, which would "fix" the optical part ;)

Just a few things i miss for convenience, besides that really nice app!

I really would appreciate it if those features would make it into a future version of wihu!

Greetings

KMan

How do you want to hide application setups other than using silent switches? Other than that makes no sense because the application will present some windows the user should interact with.

Why do you need asynchronus commands? The can lead to problems, because many setup installers don't accept 2 installations running the same time, esspecially MSI ones.

Top most isn't a problem ... should there be a switch (ini settings) or should WIHu always top most?

Benjamin

If you want your programs to hide, you can always use AUTOIT.

I personally do NOT want to see asynchronus commands get implimented. My installation is pretty dependent on how I have it set up to run.

As for having it be on top, I would suggest it not always be on top, allow it via a switch. The reason for this is that AUTOIT based programs that I use will need to be on top. For example, I register my version of goldwave, it needs goldwave to be on the top, not WIHU.

Just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, AutoIT (I'm using Autohotkey, but it's the same) doesn't need windows to be on top.

In fact, these soft send commands to the active window which is generally the one on top.

Despite the fact I call myself an inexperienced programmer (lacks some practice), I know a few things.

For example, the explorer taskbar (which is a window) is on top of all others windows (WS_TOPMOST :lol: ).

Try drag-and-dropping any window to the bottom of your screen, it will be under.

You can also see that with Task manager. By default, it is on top of others windows.

I've just run it and it is over my browser while I'm typing. The window is over but it is not active.

So, there won't ba any problem with AutoIt if the window is not on top (this task manager becomes annoying, I don't see what I'm typing :P )

Asynchronous commands

KMan, can't you use batch files ?

Or maybe an AutoHotKey script ?

Run x:\path\to\your\monitoring\app
WinWait, your_app's_window_title, a_bunch_of_words_from_it
Run x:\path\to\the\monitored\app

Yes, this is for autohotkey. If you need/want to use AutoIt, the syntax is not the same but very similar and the content remains the same.

What this script does :

-run the app that monitors

-wait for it to be running (I hope it has a window, otherwise, you can use Sleep 3000 to wait 3 seconds)

-runs the app you want to be monitored

For the first point, HOOOOOOK !

Prevent the windows creation. :rolleyes:

(I also think Autohotkey/autoit have some nice features for this)

PS: I prefer a switch to make topmost or not. Always give the choice.

(I'm using mldonkey, the 10000-options P2P client, you can set it as you want)