Which Notepad?

Gape

Which Notepad?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which Notepad do you prefer for the next version?

• Patched Notepad
    • Metapad
    • Notepad2

UltraEdit-32. Text/HEX Editor with some very good features and a few useless ones. In the last couple of versions it has been trying to become an all-in-one swiss-knife utility. Still my editor of choice though.

Yes it's better to leave the editor choice to the user.

Count me for NONE.

I use UltraEdit myself so I don't see the point in including MetaPad or Notepad2 in SP2.

I see no harm in patching Notepad though.

For people who just like using good ol' Notepad, the patches are a welcome addition.

Edited by krick

Wel I voted metapad since its my regular editor of choice, along w/ ConTEXT. But I'm not sure why you would want to include an editor in with your SP. I think editors are likely the most prolific software out there. And most everyone has a very distinct preference about what they like and want. If anything the most logical would be the patched Notepad, and leave further replacement to end user choice.
I wish AbiWord was a choice. Very full featured.
Abiword is more of a Microsoft Word replacement - not notepad.

Abiword might be a good replacement for Wordpad or MS Word when working frequently with .DOC [Word Document] files. if Abiword can open Word documents created from Word 97/2000/2002/2003 then it can be a great alternative to using MS Word or Wordpad.

the WinXP version of Wordpad can properly open Word 97/2000 documents.

I also see no problem in patching Notepad. but change the version build number to reflect the minor changes made to Notepad [ex. Win98 has Notepad.exe 4.10.1998 w/out any changes/modifications to it]. after making a few changes or improvements to Notepad, change the version number of Notepad from build 1998 to 1999 > 4.10.1999.