Hitachi vs. Western Digital vs. Seagate

Western Digital for me. Seagates are "more reliable", but WDs are much faster, "reliable enough", and the 320GB SE SATA drives are the quietest I've ever owned (idle noise and write noise). It's just a matter of what's most important to you.

Maxtors were great when they used Quantum technology (although they were excessively loud) but the drives using their own technology are notoriously unreliable (at least where I live). They also have a bit louder spinning noise, and a MUCH louder write noise; I couldn't stand working with a Maxtor as it would kill the great efforts I've done to not keep my system whisper quiet but completely inaudible.

• 2 weeks later...

WD all the way baby!!! I love those drives, never given up on them nor have my customers. I always buy loads of WD drives, and if incase of HDD failure (which there never really is from my experience with them) it is easy to recover data ;)

WD for me, always

IMHO...

Western Digital is the best. You'll never have any problems as long as you get the 8MB or 16MB buffer models, it's true that the 2MB buffer models are less reliable. See, 8MB, 16MB come with 3 year warranties, while 2MB comes with 1 year. If you want the best reliability, then get their RE (Raid Edition) drives, 5 years warranty.

Seagate is also very good, but I've seen a large amount of RMA for them. Mostly failure of the drive motors.

Maxtor is horrid. None of them last very long.

Fujitsu and Samsung is suicide.

Personally, I have 2 Western Digital Raptors running at a smooth 10,000rpm in RAID 0 configuration and the speed is killer.

Personally, I have 2 Western Digital Raptors running at a smooth 10,000rpm in RAID 0 configuration and the speed is killer.

Same here. Can't live without them.

Did you see they just announced two 150GB versions of the Raptor?

I hadn't heard... I've been checking the Western Digital website from time to time because I can't wait for them to release 500GB drives of their own. Guess I must have missed that, they must be killer drives.

I have a samsung 7200-160 gig HD It is about 3 years old. Is this about the end of the life expectancy?

Perhaps not, you could be lucky. But I'd make frequent backups if I were you.

I hadn't heard... I've been checking the Western Digital website from time to time because I can't wait for them to release 500GB drives of their own. Guess I must have missed that, they must be killer drives.

They're putting 16MB cache on these. The enterprise version of the drive will include a new feature for RAID called time-limited error recovery. I'd also read that they would have a SATA 300MB/ss interface but the WD site lists SATA 150MB/s. I hope they do increase that to the SATA 300MB/s interface before the drive actually hits the market. I can't find any information on their site about the two different versions I've read about either.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/...189&Language=en

Edit:

Did some more searching and found one of the original articles I read:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28577

They link to a site that has it for sale..and also claims that it's a SATA 300MB/s interface. I can't read/write/speak German though so I don't know if the drive is actually in stock or just available for pre-order. None of my usual sites have it available yet.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Never rely too much on sites that have it for sale before everyone else does... I would suspect a bit of a scam on their part. Why would some small time place sell it before big guys like newegg?

StorageReview.com posted a review of the new WD Raptor drives today:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...1500ADFD_1.html

They confirm that it is a SATA 150 drive. I haven't read the entire article yet but the numbers look pretty **** good so far. The clear cover on the enthusiast version is a cool option as well.

As for longevity, I still use the first hard drive I ever bought... a Western Digital Caviar 2.5GB from 1996. It's in my Windows 98 pc that I use for hacking Tivos and despite being loud (like all drives from that era) it's earned the nickname "Old Faithful".

And THAT's why Western Digital is still the best. They're still as good. How many old Quantum/Maxtor drives do you still see running? Not many.