Getting new PC

Lagamorph

Since my local GAME store has shafted me out of my Xbox 360 (Only just now being told that there's bugger all chance of it arriving before christmas) I'm getting a new PC for christmas. Normally I'd build it myself, but University is too busy at the moment (and I'm just lazy) so I'm looking for possibly somewhere on-line to get a good gaming system for around the £1000-1200 mark.

This is in the UK too, so No US sites please.

My list of features is,

MUST HAVE 7800GTX Graphics card. I know Processors at the moment kinda bottleneck them, but it's pretty much future-proofing for the graphics

MUST HAVE at least a 160GB Hard Drive. Not too worried about the type

MUST HAVE a Creative Sound Card. Not really bothered which one, as long as it's creative.

MUST HAVE Dual Layer DVD-RW drive

MUST HAVE at least 1GB of RAM

MUST HAVE a case that's pretty good for cooling. The system will probably be on for long periods of time, so I don't want it to overheat.

No OS is required. I've got an (official) XP disk and an actual Licence key already. I'm more likely to get an XBox 360 this side of christmas than buy another copy of XP.

PREFERABLY an AMD 64-bit processor, but I'm willing to go Intel too if the rest of the system is good. I'm not really bothered about Dual Core at the moment though.

So far I've found 2 on-line, one from Dell and one from Overclockers, and my local PC shop is putting together a price for me. The one's I've found online so far are,

Dell XPS System

Processor - Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT technology (3.20GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2MB cache)

MotherBoard - ?

RAM - 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x512) Memory

Hard Drive - 160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache

DVD - 16x max. DVD+/-RW (Dual Layer) Drive

Floppy - None

GFX - Single 256MB nVidia® GeForce™ 7800GTX graphics card

Sound - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music card,PCI w/Dolby Digital,7.1 speaker surround and THX certification

Keyboard & Mouse - Dell cheapo ones. I've got a Logitech MX5000 set so I don't want a keyboard/mouse with it.

Speakers - None, don't want any

OS - Windows XP Home

Case - Dell XPS case

PSU - ?

Price - £1,239

This one might be a bit overbudget really, but I suppose I can call them up rather than use the website and see if I can get a bit more off by not getting the Keyboard & Mouse and Windows XP and see what else I can get.

Overclockers Ultima system

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU

Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express

RAM - GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit

Hard Drive - 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 16mb cache SATA-2

DVD - Pioneer DVR-110 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

Floppy - Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive - Silver

GFX - Leadtek GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express

Sound - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4.0

Keyboard & Mouse - None

Speakers - None

OS - None

Case - Coolermaster Silver WaveMaster Case

PSU - Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU

Price - £1,115.08

Right now I'm leaning more towards the system from Overclockers. It just seems a little better, plus it's cheaper. I'll post up the system my local PC shop gets for me tomorrow, since that's when he'll have a quote for me. I've asked him to keep it under £1,000 for me, so we'll see what he comes up with.

In the meantime, anybody know any good online places to get a PC in the UK with around this spec for my budget?

It shouldn't really matter how long you take to build a computer, whether it is half an hour to 5 hours. I tend to assemble my computer slowly, and make sure every connection is correct and secure, and organize the wires to make it look clean. But regardless, building a computer is no big task; just do it during a lazy Sunday afternoon or night. I attend college also and am busy, but that doesn't interfere with my computer building.

it only takes a few hours to build one! 5 at the max, even if its your first.

Wow... 5 hours...

Takes me less that 2... lol :lol: I'm not saying that in competition.. but yeah !?

i was saying 5 max for a 1st time builder

It shouldn't really matter how long you take to build a computer, whether it is half an hour to 5 hours. I tend to assemble my computer slowly, and make sure every connection is correct and secure, and organize the wires to make it look clean. But regardless, building a computer is no big task; just do it during a lazy Sunday afternoon or night. I attend college also and am busy, but that doesn't interfere with my computer building.

so is there a reason that yoo dont want to build one? or are you going to?

so is there a reason that yoo dont want to build one? or are you going to?

Let me put it this way: I will never, EVER, buy a OEM computer. I have always built mine frome ground up. I just like taking my time in building one to make sure everything goes smoothly. I'm about to have to re-assemble my current machine because I'm going to watercool it after Christmas.

Well it doesn't matter now, I managed to get my grubby hands on a 360 by turning up at a different store (PC World in the UK) only 45 minutes before it opened ^^;;

But thanks for all the suggestions guys (or the same suggestion several times anyway -_-)

• 2 weeks later...

My got my new hardware today! Unfortunately, my video card (GF7800GTX512) hasn't come yet as well as my BenQ 16x DL DVD Writer. I am not using it yet, as I am waiting for the last 2 parts, but I decided to try out my new Razer Copperhead USB mouse. Two words: beautiful and smooOooooth.

The Antec P180 Midtower case is awesome, but different. I had to remove some plastic things from inside. I don't like the bottom harddrive holders because you have to screw them in and are likely to bang them against the metal several times in the process, also they have to be installed sidways. I don't like to do this to drives because I am paranoid about the outermost edge of the disk being affected by gravity. Maybe far-fetched, I just don't like sideways. For those reasons, that part of the case will always remain empty. I love the upper harddrive holders as they can be mounted AND have rubber things to reduce vibration. The rubbers are twice as thick and large as the ones in my last case, so I take it that will benefit the overall lifespan of my drives in the long run.

The motherboard (DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D) is beautiful. I like the RAM slots placed horizontally above the CPU as they are out of the way from any cables that might be in the way of removing them in the future.

The OCZ PowerStream 520W is gorgeous. I can see my face in the casing. The cables look cool also. The PSU has lights on it.

The CPU, well, nothing fancy about it nor the heatsink. I'll be using AS5. AMD Athlon 64 3700+ that PuntoMX will help me OC to about 4400+.

Hee Hee,,,,,only takes me 30 minutes to put the parts in the case and hook up all the cables, and get it ready to boot. Then another several hours to install the OS, AV and AS software, do all the tweaking and tuning necessary for a really GOOD running system.

But whatever ya do,,,,,,for God's sake, don't waste your money on a DELL.

Nuff said.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Andromeda43