Broswer?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What Broswer Do You Prefer

• Internet Explorer
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Opera
    • Ace Explorer
    • Netscape

For people who say that IE has pop up blockers and is the best, who cares, you still get a million spyware each time you go to a site! Opera and Firefox have built in popup blockers and you can take the ads off in opera and in firefox. They are much more safer to use on the net, and have more customizing options, such as; extentions, skins, ad ons, etc. I recently downloaded Opera and its quite good. Firefox has extentions, but opera has more options, like the wand, the voice, and you can take off images if you want.

Edited by bms

Netcaptor Pro....

I haven't used another browser for at least five years......Although I've downloaded and played with all the others...Netcaptor Pro has a security configuration and toys that I can't find elsewhere...

So for my Personal Prefernce..It's Netcap Pro.. :)

Stops the grungies.. :thumbuphttp://www.netcaptor.com/

Click On *Take The Tour*....

Edited by Dagonet'

...Netcaptor Pro has a security configuration and toys that I can't find elsewhere...

can you elaborate on its security and "toys" that you can't find elsewhere?

just curious.

Take the Tour.... ;)

The tabbed system is by far in my preference....Clean up is immediate...Locks and Blocks anything you want to..

Just alot of little items I haven't found elsewhere.. I don't care for FF's Tabbed System...Nothing like NetCaps..

------------------------------------------------------------

You IE Folks might want to have a gander at this site..Secunia......As of Nov 21/2005

Secunia News

2005-11-21

Proof of Concept code has been released for a 6 months old Internet Explorer vulnerability. Criticality rating increased to Extremely Critical.

The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2, and Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4.

http://secunia.com/advisories/15546/

Netcaptor kind of looks like IE, but it has tabs. I'm still sticking with my FREE browser though. Or should i say browsers, im kind of stuck between two. FireFox and Opera. They are both good but they both have there differences too. :}

I think i bought my copy of NetCap back in 2000.....It's seen alot of changes since the early days.. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Stetson11/NetL.jpg ...I am currently using Build 7.5.4

Never has let me down, once you buy the original licence you own it and all the updates for life...It's an IE powered engine with all the extras.

A browser becomes an attachment to many of us, that soon becomes *Home*..As long as the security features are intact and strong I think Personal Preference carries a big issue in choosing the right one for the individual.

Netcap was the first browser years ago with tabbed browsing, it's always updating itself and Mr. Stiles of Stilesoft.Inc has always treated me good/fair and with strong morals in protecting my privacy...

That says alot in my eyes....Always will.

Like I say though..Personal Preference has alot to do with what we soon become comfortable with.

I run Adaware SE Plus on one of my machines....Webroots Spysweeper on the other two machines...So I don't concern much about what happens to try and infest my browsing habits.

(By the way..Adaware SE Plus is my fav out of all the sweepers I've tried over the years..)

Browse with your preference...Make sure your butt is well covered...Chasing pests is boring.. LOL!!

My wife's New IBM T40...(Which her work purchased for her...I know, I know)...Always has it's share of cleaning for me to do....She runs on a closed system with about 2800 or so others on the internal server....They are always telling her, everything is well maintained... *Snickers*.. ;)

Edited by Dagonet'

Take the Tour.... ;)

The tabbed system is by far in my preference....Clean up is immediate...Locks and Blocks anything you want to..

Just alot of little items I haven't found elsewhere.. I don't care for FF's Tabbed System...Nothing like NetCaps..

i did, which is why i asked :)

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say this is better than that, but i'd like to point out differences and shortcomings of other browsers (mainly IE, not NetCaps). see this screenshot as an example.

upper left is the main menu, of course. to the right, i've arranged most of the standard buttons on the same toolbar to save space. two i'd like to point out are the arrow with the red circle and the gray icon. the former toggles redirect URL's (bypassing redirects) and the latter is the User Agent Switcher which makes FF appear to webservers as whatever browser you want it to appear as.

below the main toolbar is the GoogleBar Lite toolbar. this is NOT from Google and does not update itself automatically and install annoying crap. optionally, it displays a webpage context menu as well.

below that is the All In One Sidebar where i'm showing the extensions. that thing, by itself, is incredible. it is highly configurable and can display extensions, bookmarks, history, a web page and much more. easily opened/closed several ways. this can also display a webpage context menu with some useful tools.

overlaying the sidebar is the standard options dialog, showing off the FasterFox menu.

further down is the Bookmarks Manager and below that is the Adblock Filterset.G options dialog which goes hand in hand with Adblock Plus (upper right). the Filterset.G updater syncs with a well maintained ad blocking list and does so automatically, at the users option. it also saves my user created filters after an update.

Adblock Plus can easily be used to block most anything at all and is easily accessed, configured and turned on/off from the "Adblock" text button on the lower right side of the status bar. custom blocking is easily accomplished by right-clicking on the offending element of a webpage. supports black and white listing as well.

also located on the status bar, the green "C" is a cookie manager that is super easy to use for allowing (always, session), blocking or removing cookies on a per-site basis.

to the right of it is a blue "S" (covered by a red circle because i didn't allow JS for MFSN). it is similar to Adblock, but is used to block/allow JS, Flash, Bookmarklets, etc., on a per-site or global basis.

in the lower middle is the DOM Inspector which is good for web developers and above it is the JS console.

to the right of DOM is the Themes manager for skinning FF (i have none installed).

and there's a lot more as well. the heart of FF, it's configuration files, are not shown. for instance, 'about:config' can be typed in the address bar to access many additional settings.

and there's a lot more as well. the heart of FF, it's configuration files, are not shown. for instance, 'about:config' can be typed in the address bar to access many additional settings.

Yep..... FF is a good browser...I've had it off and on a few times. It'll never be my main browser, but it's nice to have choices.. ;)

Edited by Dagonet'

Firefox, but I keep IE because some (very few!) sites work better with it.

Firefox:s handling/placement of settings and bookmarks (files deep down in the folder structure compared to the registry and the userprofile in IE) is its biggest disadvantage.

tried Opera briefly, but found it's not nearly as configurable as FF IMO. however i'd recommenced Opera for anyone who wants a good, secure and fairly feature rich browser out-of-the-box with a minimum of fuss.

Fairly feature rich? Talk out-of-the-box experience, since that's what most people know about. The only people I know who actually use extensions for Firefox are people who are semi-tech-savvy. The rest of the people have just come along for the ride, and run plain-jane Firefox.

Opera has most of the features that common people add extensions for anyways:

- Proper tabbed browsing (target="_blank" --> New tab, not new window)

- Mouse Gestures

- Wand (password manager)

- Smooth Scrolling

- Fully customizable keyboard shortcuts

Sure, you don't have the possibility of expansion like you do with extensions, but they're a double-edged sword. Most of the crashes that people get in Firefox are from either poorly written extensions, or conflicts between two extensions.

I know you and I have had other debates about this, but I thought I'd defend the Opera standpoint once more... ;)

heck man, i thought i WAS defending Opera :)

it's a good **** browser. period. but for the tech savvy, as you put it, who enjoy tweaking and virtually unlimited customization (me), i would recommend FF.

also, FF either natively has (proper tabbed browsing -- new tab, not window, a password manager, smooth scrolling), or can have with tweaks or addons (if you want it), all the items you listed.

and yes, poorly written extensions can be a problem. i've experienced that myself. they also slow the loading of the browser. however, for me anyway, the very rare problem with extensions and the slightly slower loading is worth every bit of the additional functionality. i always read the reviews of extensions before trying them, plus, the more i use FF, the better idea i have on what extensions may conflict with others and how to configure them.

still, in the end, it's all up to you!