Crazy Patents

mark

@bms,

You got me curious and I got these quotes from the US Patent and Trademark Office.

This is not done very often. A working model may be requested in the case of applications for patent for alleged perpetual motion devices.
I don't think this would apply in this case.
The patent law specifies that the subject matter must be “useful.” The term “useful” in this connection refers to the condition that the subject matter has a useful purpose and also includes operativeness, that is, a machine which will not operate to perform the intended purpose would not be called useful, and therefore would not be granted a patent.
This one would apply. Apparently, gas has the energy required. I had always thought that to have a patent, an item must be functional or as they say 'useful'. I guess, without thinking about it, that is what made me think :blink: "it functions!? and they gave it a patent!!"

DL

Put your thinking caps on and start inventing! Bring your ideas to my office at 'Dewey, Cheatham and Howe' and I will file your patent application for you. (yeah, yeah, I stole it from the 'Three Stooges')

Good researching dl. Do the patent people actually look at the invention itself, or just by pictures, to see if it is actually real and "useful"? I am still wondering why someone would patent the "animal toy", which is still just a stick. lol :lol:

Edited by bms

@bms Thank you. They don't look at the actual invention unless it claims to do something which seems impossible (perpetual motion machine is their example). I don't think I would want these guys bringing in an example anyway. The Patent Office does have some fairly lengthy requirements to be fullfilled in order to get a patent and that includes a drawing done with all relevant details and they are quite specific on how the drawing is to be presented.

Why would someone patent a plastic stick?

a) They get to say they have a patent on something. ( I would, but it looks like to much trouble for a plastic stick)

b)or like a large corporation jumping on a lapsed copyright or patent to stake territory or like a cybersquatter that takes a domain name. Maybe he will get to sue someone if his patent gets infringed. Watch your kids and what they play with. You might lose your home.

DL