rescue cd

alanthomas

WELL, one way is to buy a copy of Norton's Ghost. You can still find Ghost 2003 for as low as $7.95.

Use it to make a backup image of your C: drive and burn the image to a DVD.

When you Don't use a floppy disk, you seriously limit yourself to options.

I use Ghost 2003, but the install program makes a Boot Floppy, not a boot CD.

However, once you have the Boot Floppy, you can burn a Boot CD and use the Floppy to create the boot sector on the CD. Maybe you could do all that on someone elses computer, that has a floppy drive.

When you have a floppy drive, you have many more options available to you.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

Where?!

Why don't you Google for it like I did?

Too lazy? OK then go to this url and read.

http://www.nextag.com/Symantec-GHOST-2003-...ARE-PRICES-html

Too much to type? :whistle:

Then just click this Linky.

U no I'm jus messing wit ya.....right? :thumbup

Actually Ghost 2003 is being offered for sale for LESS than $7.95,,,,,how about $6.70, at Bargain Software?

My whole point is....that the best backup program that I've ever seen or used is now for sale for the price of a cheap meal at Micky D's, drink included. :yes:

With this program available so cheap, there's no reason I can think of why everyone shouldn't be doing regular Ghost backups on their system. Get the program, figger out how to use it and share that knowledge with all your friends. NO one needs to loose all their stuff because of a software glitch or HD failure.

Happy shopping,

Andromeda43

Hey guys, BartPE is old news. The "Ultimate BootCD 4 Windows" (UBCD4WIN) is the now way to go these days...

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It totally blows BartPE away. It includes Firefox, virus scanners, adware removal tools, vnc, remote desktop, password recovery/reset, cd burning software and much more. I think it also includes the Ghost plugin (if you own a copy of Ghost). When you build the CD, I'd recommend installing the additonal driver pack.

-John

Edited by jftuga

How many people actually use all the tools that are loaded on those CD's? Those CD's are loaded with just about everything, but in my opinion, I don't use anything except Norton Ghost on a routine basis and PowerQuest Partition Magic once is a blue moon.

If you have to use these CD's routinely, then something wrong with your PC, no?

Even for a worst case scenario, I rely on Norton Ghost and that's it.... if my hard drive crashed, I have backup of everything... and the OS image is stored elsewhere.

Hey guys, BartPE is old news. The "Ultimate BootCD 4 Windows" (UBCD4WIN) is the now way to go these days...

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It totally blows BartPE away. It includes Firefox, virus scanners, adware removal tools, vnc, remote desktop, password recovery/reset, cd burning software and much more. I think it also includes the Ghost plugin (if you own a copy of Ghost). When you build the CD, I'd recommend installing the additonal driver pack.

-John

WELL, one way is to buy a copy of Norton's Ghost. You can still find Ghost 2003 for as low as $7.95.

Use it to make a backup image of your C: drive and burn the image to a DVD.

When you Don't use a floppy disk, you seriously limit yourself to options.

I use Ghost 2003, but the install program makes a Boot Floppy, not a boot CD.

However, once you have the Boot Floppy, you can burn a Boot CD and use the Floppy to create the boot sector on the CD. Maybe you could do all that on someone elses computer, that has a floppy drive.

I use Ghost 2003, and I am always able to boot directly from the CD image set (on restore jobs). To create an image without using a boot floppy, run the wizard while in windows, which will allow you to set your options and will automatically restart the computer and boot into ghost to start creating the backup image.

In other words, I never have to worry about a floppy drive.

I've Been Using Norton Ghost 2003 for the last 18 months, and its very reliable. I have created a bootable CD/DVD that Automates the Recovery of a ghost Image. Via Autobat file.... simple.

However I will have a look at the suggested UBCD4Win..

How many people actually use all the tools that are loaded on those CD's? Those CD's are loaded with just about everything, but in my opinion, I don't use anything except Norton Ghost on a routine basis and PowerQuest Partition Magic once is a blue moon.

If you have to use these CD's routinely, then something wrong with your PC, no?

It's just like saying that if you have to restore from Ghost routinely then something's wrong with your PC.

The UBCD is a backup recovery method. It's very useful to clean off systems that are infected with spyware, since you don't run into the problem of files being loaded from the hard drive.

Yup! I do restore using Ghost every now and then, not because of spyware (I've never had a problem) but because of testing beta programs and other programs.... when my system gets littered with programs, I return it back to a previous state with my minimal applications.

But I've never had to restore due to hardware problems.

The UBCD is a backup recovery method. It's very useful to clean off systems that are infected with spyware, since you don't run into the problem of files being loaded from the hard drive.

Let me ask, then, do you have to update the spyware signature to clean your hard drive? If so, then do you have to make a new CD every time you update the spyware signature?

In my opinion, I rather have a spyware-clean image and restore that than end up trying to clean an infected PC because you never know if it's 100% cleaned, right? That's just an opinion.

Yup! I do restore using Ghost every now and then, not because of spyware (I've never had a problem) but because of testing beta programs and other programs.... when my system gets littered with programs, I return it back to a previous state with my minimal applications.

That's what I use VMware for... ;)

Let me ask, then, do you have to update the spyware signature to clean your hard drive? If so, then do you have to make a new CD every time you update the spyware signature?

In my opinion, I rather have a spyware-clean image and restore that than end up trying to clean an infected PC because you never know if it's 100% cleaned, right? That's just an opinion.

Yes, you do need to update the definitions every now and then. But that's what CD-RW's are for.

I think that comparing UBCD to Ghost/Acronis is kinda silly actually. They're for completely different purposes.

The problem with using Ghost to un-install programs is that you may loose any settings or new programs that you do want. Don't get me wrong - I use Acronis True Image myself and I've got a 3.5GB image on my hard drive just for that out-of-the-blue case where hell freezes over.

UBCD is useful because it's system independent. I keep a copy with me at all times (updated monthly) for those cases where people tell me that they've got a problem. Pop in the CD, run the programs, and boom - at least 99% clean system (usually).

Everyone has their own methods. I just think that a backup solution shouldn't be used to solve malware problems. It's like using a hammer to put in a screw. It'll work, but it's not what the hammer was meant for. ;)