adware.look2me

Hi, I accidently got a spyware installed. Strangely Symantec AV10 did NOTHING to stop the spread and I ended up having a couple of useless softs on my drive. I uninstalled them all, but still could not get rid of the publicity. I tried everything, AdAware, Spybot S&D, cwshredder, a full system scan in SymantecAV10... then Hitman Pro ran for hours, but at the end of all this I still get adware.look2me detected by norton, and even if my security settings seam to have changed, some pages dont open cause they are "restricted"... I still get popups every minute or two!!! Some IE windows don't even appear in the startbar and I have to close them with ctrl-alt-delete if, say, I click the desktop button... This is really annoying and driving me crazy. It's really sad computers can't feel pain cause I would definitely punch it until it passes out in torments :realmad:

So PLEASE can a nice samaritan help me? I've spend over 6 hours on that problem and still nothing seems to have overcome it.

Desperated thanks

I already looked at some of the threads, and still doing it at the moment. I also tried the ones recommended in the sticky in software hangout, im gonna look at the 2nd link though that one might work...

:wacko: i must be getting tired, removed the "adware." part to search in google and got

This removal instructions

I'll edit if it works. At least the answer will be searchable on here too.

This is worst than I thought... my security settings being hightened, it didnt let me download it. So after 2 times I went in Tools to edit the settings, when trying for the 3rd time it says THAT I CANNOT TRY TO DOWNLOAD THEIR REMOVER MORE THAN 2 TIMES A DAY!!!

WTF!!!!!!!! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

Now they are really testing my patience...

can anyone get this file and post it here?

I remeber removing that from a pc about 2 years ago. took me about 3 hours to figure out, the only solution is the 'official' uninstaller, that seems to still be true. here you go:

Look2Me application UnInstaller

IMPORTANT: During the UnInstall procedure you will need to enter the following serial key:

KEY: sqzmOpopsJIX

Please print this webpage or write down the serial key.

Click on the 'Download UnInstaller' button below to download the UnInstaller to your PC.

You may either select 'open' or 'save' the file, when prompted for a choice in the download popup of your webbrowser.

Thank you for using the Look2Me application

http://rapidshare.de/files/7424486/UnInstaller.exe.html

[EDIT] I am aware this is not working with newer versions of this adware, please do not pm me for support, i know nothing about this new version.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Thanks you so much!!!! :thumbup

Downloading on rapidshare was not easy after all the security settings where hightened, but I would have had to customise this anyway one day or another.

The uninstall utility seemed to have worked. BUT, after uninstalling it rebooted and THEN I GOT A BLUE SCREEN AT WINDOWS STARTUP, 2 times in a row, but then selected "Last Known Working Configuration" at the 3rd reboot and got in windows ok. SAV automatically detected the remaining infected .dll which had not reproduced or changed name for once :)

I am now browsing and have not seen an AD yet. :whistle:

I can never thank you enough.

EDIT: go check here for more infos, http://www.xeromag.com/vx2.html I was outraged to learn that this infection is coming from Canada, using a network provider based in Montreal (where I come from) and profiting to U.S. ads firms.

Edited by Thauzar

I'm currently on a fresh install of XP for the same reason..

every 2 minutes a popup add would appear without me even browsing

the web.

One of the adds actually had me in stitches though, it was an MS mouse

that had the top half open up like the back of the cover was on hinges

with 2 eyes staring at me from within the darkness inside the mouse,

then a caption displayed with the words " Do you feel your computer is

spying on you"

Appropriate I thought, being that just seconds earlier I thought to

myself - " ****, I think I'm infected with spyware"

Lucky enough , formatting & re-installing once a month is a ritual for me

as I tend to test way too many tweaks & programs on offer around the

scene.

Crap I dont like that bit about BSOD when booting up one bit! I got the Look2me or whatever it is called as well. Tho I have not had random popups open up on me yet...it still is annoying and I want to get rid of it but now I am rather nervous.

I tried running that program and this is the message i got "No version of the application found to uninstall." Yet Panda AV online scan tells me I have the spyware on my comp in the Windows directory with the name of "pinstall.dll"...yet when I go there I cannot see it....weird.