Whats the easiest and best way to update my XP Pro install files (the

ps24eva

I have tried Ryanvm update pack but it needs some improvements. You can try AutoPatcher but it is not perfect and take a lot of Hard disk space.

So if you have broadband or higher connection the best way is to use Windows Update. Its take some time but download only the needed files.

Pawan

This is an issue I tried to persuade Alanoll to include some comments in the guide. There's more than one way to do it and there's no consensus as to which is the best. What is best for one person is not necessarily so for another.

The /integrate method does not compress the replaced files, as far as I gather from previous posts.

If you DIY, you have to figure out which hotfixes to include, as some newer hotfixes replace older ones.

I like HFSlip too... but for some reason I have issues with my Windows XP Home edition whenever I use it. :(

But HFSlip and RyanVM's update packs are my favorites.

Because they not only update your disk... but they slipstream it to the disk... so it saves a lot of space.

Ryan is releaseing a new UpdatePack later in the week that should work very well. The only issues with his last pack was that he used a lot of Beta hotfixes in his pack as well... which pushed the cat limit over the edge. Windows XP only allows 150 cats to be signed and Ryans pack was over that limit.

Turning off Windows File Protection is the easiest way to bypass this.

Ryans new pack will mainly just be the publicly available hotfixes so it should work very well. I have also updated the RyanVM Integrator a lot in the past week with new features and ease of use. You have to get it on RyanVM's forum though... he has not added it to his front page yet.

But even though I helped make RyanVM's integrator... I do like HFSlip just as much. It is very cool. It is somewhat the same concept as Ryans packs... but it allows you to easily customize what hotfixes to install.

Do check out the RyanVM forums though. People have begun making custom addon packs of just about anything you can think of. One member made a custom addon that integrates the RoyaleTheme into your windows xp disk.

Edited by Siginet

I have tried Ryanvm update pack but it needs some improvements. You can try AutoPatcher but it is not perfect and take a lot of Hard disk space.

So if you have broadband or higher connection the best way is to use Windows Update. Its take some time but download only the needed files.

Pawan

That is exactly how I created my nLite cd. I didnt bother with the update packs because really it took me 5 minutes to validate my XP, download the updates after SP2 and then reboot with everything updated.