Reboot? Haha, who needs it?

Jlo555

This isn't really a technical inquiry about windows 98se. But I'd just like to report that my 98se computer has been running for 8 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes, and 15 seconds, without a reboot. That is a better time than I have ever gotten out of an XP machine. I was astonished when I just read the uptime log in msinfo. And the computer is still running with 89% resources! This is my old Dell XPS T-500, which I mainly use as a fileserver now. With the service pack, the computer has not crashed one single time since I installed the OS!

This isn't really a technical inquiry about windows 98se.  But I'd just like to report that my 98se computer has been running for 8 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes, and 15 seconds, without a reboot.  That is a better time than I have ever gotten out of an XP machine.  I was astonished when I just read the uptime log in msinfo.  And the computer is still running with 89% resources!  This is my old Dell XPS T-500, which I mainly use as a fileserver now.  With the service pack, the computer has not crashed one single time since I installed the OS!

Hmmm, well, okay. Not really that impressive. I routinely run my XP machine for weeks on end without rebooting.

Uptime stats aren't that impressive, really. Just means you're not installing hotfixes.

But I'd just like to report that my 98se computer has been running for 8 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes, and 15 seconds, without a reboot. And the computer is still running with 89% resources!

Which resources ? System ? User ? GDI ?

I start up with 75% of both System and User resources and 85% of GDI resources free.

After a week of uptime those resources are never at that level anymore on my machine. If they still were I'd rarely need to reboot I think.

What's your recipe not to loose resources over time ?

Every first year computer student knows about the ol' Windows "Memory Leak".

When you close any program in 98 (for instance) all the ram that the program was using NEVER goes back into the available ram list. As time goes by and you open and close programs, the available memory will eventually go down to zero.

Don't believe me? Then run a memory manager like "MemTurbo" or "WinSystem" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

WinSystem, will give you a little real time monitor to show you exactly how much ram you have available at any moment....kind of like a memory thermometer.

It can be quite an eye opener. I use it often to show a customer just how little ram they actually have after the OS and all their TSR's finish loading.

You can easily download "WinSystem" from the internet. It's freeware.

[some virus also took on the same name, so if you Google for it, you'll get page after page of virus info. Sorry bout dat!]

I can email it to anyone needing it....just PM me.

The only way to run a computer non-stop with 98, 98SE or ME, is to run a memory optimizer that frees up unused memory every so often, like MemTurbo.

Just shutting down the PC when not using it is probably the best way.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

The only way to run a computer non-stop with 98, 98SE or ME, is to run a memory optimizer that frees up unused memory every so often, like MemTurbo.

This does not adress the vanishing resources issue which are finally forcing to reboot despite the best RAM defragmenters and freers.

I meant 89% system resources. The computer boots up with about 96% regularly. I just went to msconfig and unchecked a bunch of unneeded crap when the computer starts up. I can't believe your computer starts up with 75%. That seems pretty low for a clean boot.

Don't believe me?  Then run a memory manager like "MemTurbo" or "WinSystem" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Making that conclusion about Windows 98's memory management based on those programs is kinda foolish. Those memory "optimizers" do not work, they only mislead. A lot just make things worse by "optimizing" your memory.

I meant 89% system resources. The computer boots up with about 96% regularly. I just went to msconfig and unchecked a bunch of unneeded crap when the computer starts up. I can't believe your computer starts up with 75%. That seems pretty low for a clean boot.

Well I run quite a few third party background apps. They are Zone Alarm, Antivir, Open Expert, Dialog Box Assistant, Stroke-it, Cool Mouse, Ram Idle, Hook 99, Taskbar Activate, FreeShade and PopupIconEx. Also I have several shell extensions installed that are consuming resources (7-Zip, IzArc, Copy2Clip, Mp3 Info property sheet and a few more). I also have a SATA drive, a Sound Blaster (on top of the onboard AC97 audio chip), a TV card, an USB broadband modem and an USB midi keyboard, all of which are using specific additional drivers and therefore consuming some resources. That's why I start with resources that seems low.

But after a week of uptime, it is extremely unlikely I have more than 30% of free System and User resources left. GDI usually remains quite high.

You say free system resources remains almost as when freshly booted after an uptime of 8 days on your system. How do you manage that ?

PS : As I have seen that some are confusing resources with RAM, I stress that I always have as much free RAM as when I boot (around 350 MB free).

Edited by eidenk

...then run a memory manager like "MemTurbo" or "WinSystem" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

WinSystem, will give you a little real time monitor to show you exactly how much ram you have available at any moment....kind of like a memory thermometer.

It can be quite an eye opener.  I use it often to show a customer just how little ram they actually have after the OS and all their TSR's finish loading.

You can easily download "WinSystem" from the internet.  It's freeware...

Heh... funny you should mention that, I just read an interesting series by

Fred Langa (formerly of WinMag) on this very subject...

[ http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm ]

[ http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/12.htm ]

[ http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/13.htm ]

[ http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/14.htm ]

He agrees with the rest of the posts here, but adds his explaination of a

method by which you can reduce the problem and an avenue of attack in

the one area where you CAN benefit from these types of utilities!

Have fun reading!

--iWindoze