• Seagate
    • Western Digital
    • Samsung
    • Quantum
    • HP
    • Toshiba

Western Digital here.

If you're basing this on current drives:

IBM doesn't make drives anymore. Hitachi bought their drive business.

Quantum is also owned by Maxtor (for several years now).

HP doesn't make their own drives. If you have an "HP" SCSI drive it's a rebranded Seagate...nothing changed other than the HP logo on the Seagate sticker.

Seagate's 5 year warranty should be a big selling point... That's 2 years longer than any other company out there.

I think that most hard drives are decent quality, but the problem is that people don't realize that they need maintenance as well. Good cooling is always a first step in keeping your drives happy.

Hmm...

Dont know if its just bad maintence/whatever, but in the past 3 months I've seen no less than 10 WD drives fail and need replacing, this goes for new to old drives... Everyone who doesnt have a WD seems to be fine, and those clients whom I install Seagate's on, dont have any more probs...

I'd vote Seagate for desktop and server drives, but, I think that the WD Scorpio rules for notebooks

I'd vote Seagate for desktop and server drives, but, I think that the WD Scorpio rules for notebooks

The power consumption of the Hitachi TravelStar drives is a bit better than the Scorpio (2.0W vs 2.5W). For the portable and ultra-portable market, this is a pretty significant difference.

Hitachi is also the company that IBM has used for years... and IBM has always been known for their reliability. ;)