slow pc

Derm

Hi,

My pc is a 2.6ghz Dell Dimension 2350 with 512mb ram. The hard drive has over 70% free space, I defrag regularly and I typically have 35 tasks running. There is a printer attached and Sophos AV is always running, but this pc is sloooow, and has been for some time. I have another pc which I use for audio only, its a 2ghz machine 256mb ram, no printer, no AV and its way faster. The hard disc is 80% full. Does anybody have any idea why the Dell is so slow?

Thanks in advance

Derm

The sophos may be eating up a lot of your system resources with the 'auto-protect' features like most AV's today. Do you have your page file set to 768 (1.5xTotal RAM)? How about spyware, have you scanned? I would also recommend crap cleaner, may be some old temp files lagging you down.

Thanks guys,

Ive downloaded and installed Ramidle and Im going to download crap cleaner. Im aware the AV can be a resource hog, but I think this problem predates the installation of Sophos, I'll try disabling it anyway. Ive got Adaware installed.

I'll let you how I get on

ounds to me that windows is not handing back the ram after programs are run (or there is something hogging the ram). Get a program like ramidle which you can use to boost your ram levels.

BAH!!!! NO!!!!

Windows will take care of the memory in your system better than any RAM cleaning software. It's one of the reasons why when you open a program, then close it, the second time you open it, it's much faster.

Thanks guys,

Ive downloaded and installed Ramidle and Im going to download crap cleaner. Im aware the AV can be a resource hog, but I think this problem predates the installation of Sophos, I'll try disabling it anyway. Ive got Adaware installed.

I'll let you how I get on

Uninstall RamIdle. Ram "cleaners" will actually hurt the performance of your computer more than they help. Windows XP has very sophisticated memory management routines - let it do its thing.

Crap Cleaner is good, but don't let it delete the prefetch data. Prefetching helps your computer run faster. Getting rid of this data will only slow it down. Again, let Windows take care of itself.

Do you have all the latest drivers installed for your system?

Have you scanned your computer with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D?

Is the system laggy? To be specific, when you have any sort of disk activity (opening a large program, transferring files, etc), does the CPU usage rise?

Is there any specific task in Task Manager that is using CPU cycles?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned cooling. :) It is my understanding that if your system is running hot, it can actually slow things way down. I have experienced that myself at times.

Try checking your case temp as well as the CPU.

Just a humble suggestion. :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned cooling.  :)  It is my understanding that if your system is running hot, it can actually slow things way down.  I have experienced that myself at times. 

Try checking your case temp as well as the CPU. 

Just a humble suggestion.  :)

Ah yes... the thermal-regulating CPUs. :)

Good advice.

I just want to reenforce Zxian's suggestions. He gives some of the best advice around. RAM "cleaners" are pointless. I mean, if you have 5 applications open and you run a RAM cleaner, it takes all the ram in use and puts it back into the "remaining" pile. Then all your applications have to re-consume the RAM. Absolutely retarded.

- Clean your registry with JV16 PowerTools 2005. The less bloated the registry is, the better. It will speed up the PC a bit.

- Defrag with PerfectDisk and use SmartPlacement. I cannot stress this enough. Files fragment, the more you write, delete, move, whatever. PerfectDisk installs only 2 Services which you can then set to Manual. It will analyze, tell you what is most fragmented. The SmartPlacement will not only defrag the files but move everything to the edge of the disk for optimal disk access. Also, it does an "offline" defrag which defrags your Metadata and system files.

- Use CCleaner to get rid of all the temp/cache. Don't remove the Prefetch as Zxian says. Unless you have a lot of RAM, I honestly don't see the problem with removing the PF. If you install and uninstall software frequently, then the prefetch files corresponding with your previously installed programs will remain in the Prefetch folder. It's recommended to check up on the PF once a week. There are many different opinions on the PF, though. Ask Zxian for more info...

- Disable/set to manual any Services (Start > Run > services.msc) that aren't necessary.

I can't say that and expect you to know which ones you need and don't need. Some obvious essentials are:

- DCOM Server Process Launcher (if you're using SP2) - I usually leave this enabled. it works in conjunction with Windows Installer. If it's disabled and you run an installation that requires the InstallShield Engine, the install will stall and error out on you. But if you're 100% certain you won't be installing/uninstalling any programs than disable it.

- DHCP Client (For some DSL/Cable connectivity). Unless you manually assign your internal IP address, you can disable this Service.

- Plug and Play

- RPC

- Windows Audio if you like any sort of sound on your PC.

If you use a network, host a server, anything that uses a network protocol then:

- Distributed Link Tracking Client, Network Connections, Network Awareness Locator, Computer Browser, Server, Workstation.

if you do any sort of Remote connections or VPN then:

- Remote Access Connection Manager, * * Auto * *

Cryptographic Services is used for a lot of things involving server connections. Even if you disable it, it will reenable itself.

Windows Image Acquisition - Used for connections to webcams and scanners.

As you can tell, I listed more than essentials, but that should give you a good grasp. You could always just look at BlackViper's guide.

- Disable any startup entries you don't need (Start > Run > msconfig)

- Make sure your case has good airflow (if you don't have a good case, get one. :P) I recommend the newest Antec case. Zalman and Panaflo fans are the best. 120mm rear fan and 80mm front fan, any dust that gets blown in will be sucked out the back. Logically, you also want more air being blown out than in. Maybe a fan for the mobo chipset, ramsinks for the ram, a fan for between HDs if they are close together, and a nice Zalman or Thermaltake heatsink for your CPU.

- Also, for further cooling, if you have a modern ATI or GeForce video card, look into a VGA Silencer. It will cut your temperature in half.

- Finally, use nLite. :thumbup

Did I miss anything or lack clarification? If so, I'm sure someone else will help out furthermore. The more tips the better. ;)

Edited by Jeremy

- Disable/set to manual any Services (Start > Run > services.msc) that aren't necessary.
Just for general reference. I'll post the services that I have set to Automatic.
  • Computer Browser - Used for File & Printer Sharing
  • Cryptographic Services - One of those "must have" services
  • DCom Server Process Launcher - "must have"
  • DHCP Client - Used for network configuration
  • DNS Client - Speeds up internet traffic
  • Event Log - "must have"
  • Help and Support - even though I don't use it... my friends do, so I leave it running
  • Network Connections - Used for network configuration (I don't know why MS sets this to manual by default...)
  • Network Location Awareness (NLA) - Used for network configuration
  • Plug and Play - Used for many things... don't touch.
  • Remote Access Connection Manager - Needed to connect to VPN at my university
  • Remote Procedure Call - The backbone of Windows... don't touch (you can't disable it from services.msc for a reason)
  • Server - Used for File & Printer Sharing
  • Task Scheduler - Used for prefetch (This is very useful contrary to what you may have heard!!!)
  • Telephony - Needed for VPN connections
  • Windows Audio - Because I like my music ;)
  • Windows Management Instrumentation - Helps Windows manage hardware configuration. Helps with speed-stepping control.
  • Wireless Zero Configuration - For my wireless connection (no... really?)
  • Workstation - Used for File & Printer sharing

I am not guaranteeing that this is the perfect setup for you!!! It's just an idea of how you might be able to run your own computer.

I use pretty standard fare programs (no stand-alone craziness like Albator...:P), and I haven't had any problems yet. *touch wood*

- Disable any startup entries you don't need (Start > Run > msconfig)

What's even easier is to use is the Startup Control Panel from Mike Lin's Home Page. It adds a new entry in your control panel named "Startup". It lists all the programs that are launched on startup.

If you're a little more advanced, look into AutoRuns for a bit more control. There isn't much reason for you to use this though unless you're really nitpicky like some of us... :whistle:

EDIT - Dang... I've got a pretty good setup here...I should compile all of my guides like this...

Edited by Zxian

How many rpm is your harddrive that windows is running off of? Anything less than 7200 can be a big performance hit no matter what you do software-wise. Most computers that you purchase from dell and alike places with the base setup sadly come with 5400rpm hard drive.

Computer Browser - Used for File & Printer Sharing
Wrong:
Computer Browser service maintains a listing of computers and resources located on the network. This service is not required on a standalone system. In fact, even if you want to browse the network (workgroup or domain) or have mapped network shares as local hard drives, you can still do so. On a large network, one computer is designated the "master" browser and another one is the "backup" browser. All others just announce they are available every 12 minutes to "take over" duties if one of the other computers fail. No lag time is discernable if this service remains disabled on all but one computer. Honestly, I do not even believe one needs to be running. You could, "just in case," but it sure does not need to be running on all computers, all of the time.
Network Location Awareness (NLA) - Used for network configuration
Wrong:
This service is required for use with the Internet Connection Sharing service (server only).
Server - Used for File & Printer Sharing

Workstation - Used for File & Printer sharing

USB Printer/Hardware (USB sticks) Sharing, also needs the following services:

•SSDP Discovery Service (to acces)

•Universal Plug and Play Device Host (to host)

BlackViper's site is getting somewhat annoying (not to mention that it's not even up). Before saying I'm wrong... do some homework of your own.

Computer Browser - Used for File & Printer Sharing
Wrong:
Computer Browser service maintains a listing of computers and resources located on the network. This service is not required on a standalone system. In fact, even if you want to browse the network (workgroup or domain) or have mapped network shares as local hard drives, you can still do so. On a large network, one computer is designated the "master" browser and another one is the "backup" browser. All others just announce they are available every 12 minutes to "take over" duties if one of the other computers fail. No lag time is discernable if this service remains disabled on all but one computer. Honestly, I do not even believe one needs to be running. You could, "just in case," but it sure does not need to be running on all computers, all of the time.

If you have a computer that comes and goes from the network (laptop for example), then the listing of computers and resources is outdated the moment that the new computer connects or disconnects from the network. Having the Computer Browser service running allows the other computers to see that the new computer has connected automatically. For me, it takes a good long while before I can browse my laptop drives from my desktop if this service isn't running.

Notice how he says: "Honestly, I do not even believe one needs to be running."

Network Location Awareness (NLA) - Used for network configuration
Wrong:
This service is required for use with the Internet Connection Sharing service (server only).

Read this.

The NLA service is required for Windows to detect that it has been assigned an IP address. For most people at a computer, with it plugged into the network 24/7, this isn't a problem, since the IP is given at startup. For people with laptops who move from one wireless network to another, disabling this service will cause will cause Windows to display the "Aquiring Network Address" icon for approximately 2 minutes. This behaviour only occurs after installing SP2, though. With SP0 or SP1, this service was not required.

Server - Used for File & Printer Sharing

Workstation - Used for File & Printer sharing

I have a USB printer shared over my network, and I also have an external USB hard drive (it shows up under "Hard Disk Drives" in My Computer), which is also shared on the network. I don't have either of the two services that you have listed running.

Just a question about general usability... why would you share a USB thumb drive? Isn't the point of one so that you can transfer files to it, then carry it to another computer, and access the files? Sharing it on a network seems somewhat silly to me...

Universal Plug and Play is commonly used to automatically map ports for network based applications (i.e. any P2P programs that would otherwise need port-forwarding). This also means that a malicious program can map these ports and gain access to your computer. If you're worried about security, it's recommended to disable UPnP on your router and disable the SSDP service on your computer. You'd be surprised how many UPnP requests my computer gets when it is enabled on my router and I'm running BitComet (all ports already forwarded... no problems with speed).

I've said it before... BlackViper's recommendations on services do not apply to everyone. There are some settings that he recommends that have caused me problems before. I've also come to question where he gets the values for the amount of RAM that each service uses...

A touching story, but can we please keep to the facts?

If you have a computer that comes and goes from the network (laptop for example), then the listing of computers and resources is outdated the moment that the new computer connects or disconnects from the network. Having the Computer Browser service running allows the other computers to see that the new computer has connected automatically. For me, it takes a good long while before I can browse my laptop drives from my desktop if this service isn't running.
Notice how you say: If? I believe most of the users on this forum who're interested in configuring their services are in a home-network-situation and so are in no need of the computer browser if they're only interested in file/printer sharing. So, Computer Browser is not needed for "Used for File & Printer Sharing" (I can sharing/access everything without it), but it is needed for that I quote from you above indeed.
The NLA service is required for Windows to detect that it has been assigned an IP address. For most people at a computer, with it plugged into the network 24/7, this isn't a problem, since the IP is given at startup
There you go ;). I too have a DHCP server and only encounter this problem when I comeback from standby status, and as said in your "read this."-link, press OK in lan-properties and problem fixed. Again, not needed for home-network-situations.

I did some more testing on this, and came to the conclusion that this isn't needed indeed, you're right.

And the fact I'd like to share a USB thumb drive is none of your business ;)

And so your recommendations about the Computer Browser and NLA also do not apply to everyone. Not everyone has a "portable computer".

I am sticking to facts (at least I think I am). Can you tell me which part of this thread has been a "touching story"? I really don't appreciate comments like that... and did I not say right below my list of services...

I am not guaranteeing that this is the perfect setup for you!!! It's just an idea of how you might be able to run your own computer.

:unsure:
Notice how you say: If? I believe most of the users on this forum who're interested in configuring their services are in a home-network-situation and so are in no need of the computer browser if they're only interested in file/printer sharing. So, Computer Browser is not needed for "Used for File & Printer Sharing" (I can sharing/access everything without it), but it is needed for that I quote from you above indeed.

I disagree. I know a number of users here who use laptops. grafx1 for example has problems with Windows File & Printer sharing a while back, and my guess is that he might have used nLite and removed a necessary component, or disabled a necessary service.

In my situation (and others in a similar situation), it is used for File & Printer sharing, as it speeds up the process of notifying the network that my computer is now connected. I never said that it was needed... I said that it was used.

There you go ;). I too have a DHCP server and only encounter this problem when I comeback from standby status, and as said in your "read this."-link, press OK in lan-properties and problem fixed. Again, not needed for home-network-situations.

You prove my point right there. You encounter this problem yourself with a desktop computer. You may know how to deal with it, but most people don't. For most people keeping the NLA service running will prevent them from ever having to deal with this situation.

Again.... it's not needed, but Windows uses this service to aquire information. That's why I say that it's "Used for Network Configuration". There's nothing wrong about that.

The suggestions that I give are as generic as possible. I know that there are a number of users here (and in the rest of the world) who do use laptops, so I can assure you that suggesting "desktop-only" configurations would lead to problems (like the one I linked to). From what I've seen, the list of sevices that I have set to automatic (all others to manual or disabled... need to make those lists) won't cause problems when people want to use their computers in the many ways that they do.

If someone does find a problem when they set things up as I have them, then I ask them to let me know so I can add that to my reference (I keep documentation of my knowledge of the services - what they do, when they're needed, etc). :)