Win98SE SP2 Modem problem

redwingtech

It seems that if i install Win98SE SP2 on a system that has a USR winmodem installed, the modem driver begins to act up. You can successfully dial and connect ONCE. But if you disconnect then try to reconnect you get a "DUN 630 error - modem not responding"

If you reboot you can dial again, but still only once.

I've primarily noticed on USR 5699 winmodems but also a few odd other USR winmodems.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Andy

It seems that if i install Win98SE SP2 on a system that has a USR winmodem installed, the modem driver begins to act up.  You can successfully dial and connect ONCE.  But if you disconnect then try to reconnect you get a  "DUN 630 error - modem not responding"

I've primarily noticed on USR 5699 winmodems but also a few odd other USR winmodems.

Andy

I found a good site for answers to this error issue, but my first impulse is to say, don't use a Winmodem. They aren't worth it. If that's not possible, then you can try troubleshooting -- it sounds like a driver issue, as suggested below:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...1ac689e5e1ed672

Simon Chapman    Jan 9 2002, 5:00 am

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.comm.modem

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:56:30 -0000

Local: Wed, Jan 9 2002 4:56 am

Subject: Error 630 on 2nd Dial Up Connection (DUN)

On a first attempt to dial up to an ISP Internet Connection, the 3Com

Internal Modem will dial and connect with no issues.  Collection of mail

and/or internet access is fine.

On disconnection to the internet, should another session be attempted when

the modem attempts to dial, an error code of 630 is shown and a message

saying no modem is installed or is available.

The machine then has to be restarted before another dial up connection can

be established.

Any help people can offer would be appreciated.

Regards

Simon

George M. Winford \(MVP\)    Jan 9 2002, 8:32 am

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.comm.modem

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:30:15 -0700

Local: Wed, Jan 9 2002 8:30 am

Subject: Re: Error 630 on 2nd Dial Up Connection (DUN)

Hello, Simon,

For the 630 error, I suggest that you replace serial.vxd using either

Version Conflict Manager or System File Checker.

Both of these utilities are available by going to Start>Run and typing

"msinfo32" and then hitting <Enter>. When MSinfo opens, click on Tools for a

list of other programs, including Version Conflict Manager and System File

Checker.

While you are in Microsoft Information,  you might also want to check for

hardware conflicts by expanding Hardware Resources and clicking on

Conflicts/Sharing.

Also, you might need to replace your telephon.ini file. Here is the KB

article that tells you how to rebuild it:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q120/2/21.asp

And, here are two more links that should provide some help:

http://808hi.com/56k/duns645.htm

http://808hi.com/56k/tshoot.htm .

I hope this helps you,

--

geo. - George M. Winford - MS MVP (Windows 9x )

Microsoft Certified Professional

Associate Expert

Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

If the above isn't enough, you can try this link:

http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/error_630.shtml

Roving

USR made good hardware modems but dropped the ball when it came to software modems (aka winmodems). I'd junk it and pick up a new non-USR winmodem.

I've had very good results with Lucent/Agere based winmodems and also with recent PCTel winmodems.

You can get a new lucent/agere modem for less than $20.

It will support V.92/V.44 features including modem-on-hold, quick connect, PCM upstream, and improved compression on calls to V.92-compatible ISPs.

It seems that if i install Win98SE SP2 on a system that has a USR winmodem installed, the modem driver begins to act up.  You can successfully dial and connect ONCE.  But if you disconnect then try to reconnect you get a  "DUN 630 error - modem not responding"

Andy

redwingtech, Could you try to re-install your (latest) modem drivers? Also, please don't miss Roving's post.

Edited by Gape

Also tap ctrl,alt,delete and see if you have a program that may be holding the modem open. End task RNAAPP and try the connection again. Have you added anything to extra settings? Might also delete you connection icon in dialup networking and make a new one.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Roving : Ya it's definitely a driver issue. But the problem is that this problem didn't happen before the SP2 install and has always happened after, in particularly with the USR 5699 winmodem.

krick : I totally agree with you guys on the winmodem vs HDW modem issue. Problem is that these are customers computers. And we sold a lot of 5699 winmodems back in the day. I didn't notice this problem for about 2 wks or so since i usually do a single connection test. Can't really tell them to just buy a new modem.

I've stopped using SP2 on systems with USR winmodems since.

Gape : Latest drivers, hehe, the USR driver on the website is years old and has always worked. No updates available.

charles__ : yup i had thought of that one, but sadly no. No fax programs either.

So do you guys have any other ideas? Maybe a clue as to what possible changes SP2 makes to how a modem driver works? It seems that it's only the USR winmodem i'm having difficulties with.

Cheers

RedwingTech

Short Answer: Well let me say athe obvious and I hope you are using the latest (last) WinModem driver available. If that doesn't work spend the $20 to get a new modem but DO NOT blame your problems on the fact it's a WinModem.

Long Answer: I have to disagree with the myth, there's nothing wrong with WinModems. They only got a bad rep because back when they were invented and people still had 486's, a WinModem could easily eat 5%-12% of your CPU. Of course a P1 is upto 7x faster than a 486 on the same MHZ so even on the slowest Pentium this was no longer an issue.

I've used the USR WinModem extensively back in the day and can vouch they are perefctly fine, in fact WinModems were a good thing for the industry because it made modems cheaper because many of the parts inside a WinModem could be done in software. Mass producing software is almost free, mass producing hardware costs $.

The only negative aspect for a WinModem is that they only work in the OSs that have a drivers for (ex: Windows only) but that's been true for pretty much all modems in the first place, although at least in Linux you could have tried to use a generic driver on a normal hardware modem.

Rhelic : I tend to agree with _most_ of what you say. We sold USR 5699 winmodems for _years_ with no problems. And your correct about the CPU usage. However you can find really _cheap_ winmodems with zero quality control and they suck ( but that's NOT the issue here ). I'm sure we can all put this debate behind us.

My problem is not a hardware vs software modem. It's a specific model of USR modem that doesn't work correctly after the installation of SP2.

I would be estatic if there was another driver that fixes the issue, but i'm afraid i have not found one. Plus i have seen a few other non-5699 USR modems that do this. I have not had this problem with any other brand of modem ( including very cheap winmodems ).

Does anyone have a clue what else might change with SP2 that would have this affect on the modem.

Just random observations:

- it's not motherboard chipset specific ( happens on Via, Intel ... )

- reinstalling the MDM DRV makes no difference

- changing the COM port makes no difference

Redwing Tech.

my 2 ¢

I recall reading that Microsoft [and most hardware vendors followed suit] dropped support for winmodems a few years back, especially since everybody started pushing xDSL and Cable as the next best thing.

That's why [probably] a newer version of a system file installed by SP2 removes compatibility with [certain] winmodems. [?]

It's a long shot and time consuming, but one can tell with a little luck which file(s) is (are) the "culprit":

the best bet is to "look" inside %windir%\INF\*.INF files with Notepad or better text editor/viewer:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#TXT

and inside related system files with a hex or resource editor/viewer:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#HEX

These freeware tools may also help determine system files interdependencies:

Dependency Walker:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Process Explorer:

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/processexplorer.html

Hope this helps.

I recall reading that Microsoft dropped support for winmodems a few years back...

IIRC, WinModems are 100% driver based, Microsoft has no "support" to remove. And even if they did, trust me, they wouldn't break support. Backwards compatibility has been the crutch of Windows since Win95 and hasn't stopped yet and won't stop anytime soon. WinXP tooks huge steps to have backwards compatibility, Windows Vista improves on backward compatibility, and Windows 2010 will continue to support legacy apps.

Oneday we might not even need DosBox, who knows.

I also use a USR Winmodem (but model no. 5699B), and encountered a 630 error message a few times. What I did was remove the modem driver, shut down the PC, take out the USR modem and insert it into another PCI expansion slot, turn on the PC and re-installed the drivers. the modem worked flawlessly and I can reconnect after disconnecting.

maybe the modem might be inserted into an unreliable slot. try removing the modem and put it into a different slot. Good thing I've been reading my brother's computer repair book on how to change computer parts.

or perhaps the USR 5699 modem driver needs to be un-installed and then re-installed and you dont have to move the modem into a different slot. DON'T put in any Extra Settings for the USR modem, especially if you are using Netzero as your internet service.

redwingtech, try removing the USR modem driver from Add/Remove programs or from Device Manager. Then re-install the modem driver using the correct .INF file that came with the driver pack.