Lost 30 gigs

Do you have any other partitions on the drive?

Also, many companies advertise their drives as follows:

1000MB = 1GB

Which is actually wrong... It should be:

1024MB = 1GB

Which explains why you have less space, but it shouldn't be that low... Usually, a 160GB drive comes out to about 156GB or so... :}

at frist there was no portions and i could not make one, but i installed the ide driver and it worked fine.

one more question have you built a pc and have so many errors?

Edited by computerMan

Most likely seems that the IDE controller you have, cant recognise more than 128 gigs.

get a bios update for your motherboard, it should be enough...

and also, if you are formatting your drive, make sure to format it into ntfs, its much better than fat32...

Yup yup. That's where I'd point my finger. Check your motherboard. Sometimes older motherboards simply can't handle the LBA addresses needed to access the drive past the 128GB barrier.

at frist there was no portions and i could not make one, but i installed the ide driver and it worked fine.

one more question have built a pc and have so many errors?

??? :huh:

I didn't understand that last bit... was it meant to be "Has anyone built a PC and had so many errors?" - then yes. I have. Welcome to the world of computers. ;)

Well i think my hard drive is done for because when i went to install xp pro on it, It came an error saying that my HDD is corrupted or something i'm pretty sure this happen to you too.

I hope that i can fix this or i will have to send it back and get a new one.

My 160 GIG HDD went to hell and so i have to use my 20 GIG HDD but when I installed that hard drive (I already have xp on it) and when I went to go and turn the computer on it says that it is missing a file and use the recovery console to repair Windows xp so i tried that but it came up with a error saying that it can't find this file and it also says: "If you are using a CD to install xp it might be the CD". So i don't know if i need to replace the CD or not. I already know that i have to get a new hard drive.

Edited by computerMan