Bootable Image?

Hatefulsorrow

Ok stupid question. I need to know what file is called to start the windows xp installer on a bootable CD. It's the winnt.exe or another file? I have a running idea on how to make a UA cd that pre-partitions and formats a HD with 3 partitions. One primary and two logical.

If I miissed this in the search I am sorry.

Hatefulsorrow

No. When setup is loaded via the CD (IE "Press any key to continue...") There is a file that is loaded to start the setup process. I believe it to be a bin file. I've looked at the hex of a few of the bin files in the i386 folder and the one I believe to be it is setupldr.bin but I have found no evidence as of yet to prove this. I have neither of the setup files (winnt.exe, nor winnt32.exe" in my nLited i386 folder. Yet the UA cd works fine. This what lead me to believe that another file is loaded to start the process and that the winnt.exe file is nothing more then a bootstrap that loades the file in question.

I may be wrong but it would be enlightening to know.

You can use 'CDSHELL'.. link:cdshell

It is very easy to adapt and occupies very less space. Before you load windows setup from cdshell, you can load a bootable partition magic or Acronis partition expert cd. First you do partitioning job, then you start windows setup with 1 single cd.. Hope helps..

Hmm....

cdshell cannot call dos applications. But, it can call your bootable images. You can create an image of your partitioning floppy or floppies. You should put your script in that image that asks something like 'do you want to part....??'. and automatically parts the disk. After that, you reboot, and start windows setup this time from the same cd.

No dude. You can use diskpart only within windows. Then your solution is not cdshell but Winpe or Bartpe. You boot into a windows 32 bit environment, do partitioning with diskpart scripting, then start your setup again within windows environment. This can be also very useful for unattended situations and faster setup but you must fit your windows setup to 550-600 mb since Winpe Or bartpe occupies min 100 mb on a cd...

Your idea is super, but I dont know how to edit windows loader. If one can do it, it would change all unattended situations.. If you find how to do it, please post here AND send a mail or message to me.. I will also search to find a method to do it..

Good luck.. :)

Edited by agonified

If size is not problem I highly recommend using BartPe. With an easy plugin addition, you can also put some troubleshooting applications. You can automate the process of course, when it boots, it can start your application or script automatically. Just search forums about Winpe or Bartpe. You will see what I mean...