Which OS for an old laptop?

At0mic

I have an old laptop I want to use occasionally. What would be the best OS to put on it? Win98 would probably be the easiest but can win2000 be stripped down enough to run at a reasonable speed? What about NT4.0? I know Microsoft say 16Mb or 32Mb recommended but does it really run ok with this little ram? What would be the fastest for an old machine like this; a very stripped down Win2k or an out of the box NT4.0? Unless anybody knows of a way to strip down NT4.0? I know that NT4.0 doesn’t natively support USB but I could live with a PS2 Mouse.

I know you win9x purists will tell me to use 95 or 98 but I prefer to have a proper 32-bit OS. Although, I welcome to hear the arguments from both sides of the fence.

Requirements I need:

Web browsing

MPEG playback

email

PCMCIA support is essential for my network card

USB would be nice but not essential

Laptop Specs

Toshiba 320CT

Intel Pentium 266 MMX (not PII)

32Mb EDO RAM

2Mb C&T 65555 Video

Yamaha OPL3-SAx WDM Sound

4Gb Hard drive

PCMCIA

USB

as far as i know, you can get any MS OS to run on it, but it may take some tweaking/stripping to do it. have you looked at nLite? this can make the job of stripping down WIN 2k/XP a very easy task and you could (depending on how much you remove) end up with an installation that is very small and uses fewer resources.

I have an old laptop I want to use occasionally. What would be the best OS to put on it? Win98 would probably be the easiest but can win2000 be stripped down enough to run at a reasonable speed? What about NT4.0? I know Microsoft say 16Mb or 32Mb recommended but does it really run ok with this little ram? What would be the fastest for an old machine like this; a very stripped down Win2k or an out of the box NT4.0? Unless anybody knows of a way to strip down NT4.0? I know that NT4.0 doesn’t natively support USB but I could live with a PS2 Mouse.

I know you win9x purists will tell me to use 95 or 98 but I prefer to have a proper 32-bit OS. Although, I welcome to hear the arguments from both sides of the fence.

Requirements I need:

Web browsing

MPEG playback

email

PCMCIA support is essential for my network card

USB would be nice but not essential

Laptop Specs

Toshiba 320CT

Intel Pentium 266 MMX (not PII)

32Mb EDO RAM

2Mb C&T 65555 Video

Yamaha OPL3-SAx WDM Sound

4Gb Hard drive

PCMCIA

USB

While obviously you're not going to be going quite this extreme...

http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/Lib110CT.html

http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/Windows.html#Win2Kservices

...these will give you an idea of what's possible!

Mr. Nienhuis used my files to slim Win2k down, as you'll note from

http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/Windows.html#VORCK

I'd recommend that. My files will allow win2k to be installed on, well, anything; the minimum memory requirement's been removed.

Without any digital signature checking on NT 4, you can also edit the heck out of TXTSETUP, LAYOUT, etc., especially SYSSETUP and try that OS too. Mozilla or FF for browsing in any case, of course, but you know these things :D

Edited by fdv

I am all for tweaking the last bit out of MS Operating Systems, but actually the real problem is the 32 Mb of memory.

In my experience, the only thing that will be able to run on a 32 Mb system with acceptable speed will be a "lited" version of WIN98.

The same Mr. Nienhuis, in the page linked above says as much:

To be able to work a bit efficiently, I got myself some upgrades and extensions. Where applicable I'll describe how I got them up and running:

32 MB is too small even for Windows 98. The maximum allowable 64 MB is just enough to run e.g. Windows 2000.

This is even more true in your case as laptop harddisks (swap memory) are, generally speaking, slower than desktop ones.

My personal rule of thumb:

standard Win95/lited 98 min 32 Mb, with 64 flies

standard win 98 min 64 mb, with 128 rocks, anything more isn't really useful

standard NT4.00 min 64 mb, with 128 rocks, anything more is welcome

lited Win2k has same requirements of NT4.00

standard Win2k min 128, 256 is MUCH better, anything more is welcome

lited winXP has same requirements of Win2k

standard WinXP min 256, 512 is MUCH better, anything more is welcome

PLEASE, don't flame me for this with posts like

"HA!, I am running Server 2003 on a Pentium 133 with 16 Mb of memory, I just needed to make a few hacks!"

I know that the above listed are NOT the minimum requirements, they are just what I found the minimum requirements for "acceptable speed".

jaclaz

I am running Server 2003 on a Pentium 133 with 16 Mb of memory, I just needed to make a few hacks!

ha ha!! i liked that... i don't think i could even bear 98 on that system.

really, the best thing you can do is throw another memory module into it. as jaclaz indicates, there's a big difference between what's theoretically possible to use and what's actually useable. RAM really is everything.

from personal experience using windows 2000, ie ripped out:

pentium one 233 MHz, 32 MB RAM, swap is C drive - too slow to use at all

pentium one 266 MHz, 196 MB RAM, swap is on its own drive - works just fine for email, browsing, etc (specs At0mic lists). even works fine for office and many other progs.

i'd say use a really nlited windows 2000 install, use winamp lite, use some really light browser, use mpc for video with ffdshow and buy some more ram for the laptop, 64 or 128 would make the world of difference

Thanks very much for the info and the links everyone. I've decided to completely strip down Win2k right down to the bare essentials and see how well it runs. I'll try some experiments on my main computer using virtual pc to see how low I can get the memory usage down to.

Edited by At0mic

I suppose you could go 32-bit, and use OS/2. It has pretty good plug and play, and the version i use picked up all the drivers, video etc without hassle.

--------------------------------------------------------

OS/2, because a 586 is a terrible thing to waste

For the record, Windows XP requires 64 MB of RAM just to install.

Anyways, this guide might help you to speed up a 2000 installation:

http://www.nexle.dk/daniel/win2000-32mb/

I saw that on OSNews.com when it first come out...

Unfortunately I can't believe his suggestions include not installing

the latest service pack when, as many of us all know, nLite allows

you to slipstream and then strip out most of the above referenced

'bloat' on the system...

Also I seem to recall there being a tweak in nLite allowing for a patch

made to the installation eliminating the memory check (allowing you

to by pass the minimum required memory) add that to the option to

install using the Windows 2000 setup routine and I imagine you'll do

just fine.

--iWindoze

I've been messing around with Windows 2000 and I’ve managed to get the memory usage down to only 29,780Kb which is lower than I thought possible. My WINNT folder is only 166Mb. I haven’t even started with this yet. I’m going to see how low I can get this. I plan to somehow knock a few more Mb’s off my memory usage as well.

29780k.jpg

I've been messing around with Windows 2000 and I’ve managed to get the memory usage down to only 29,780Kb which is lower than I thought possible. My WINNT folder is only 166Mb. I haven’t even started with this yet. I’m going to see how low I can get this. I plan to somehow knock a few more Mb’s off my memory usage as well.

29780k.jpg

You think you can post how you did this? I'm stuck at 47,344KB... :} And over a gig for the Windows folder (which used to be about 200MB... :wacko:)