benefits of nLite

Davor

Ee... where do I start

First for someone opened and only wishing to understand, you seem pretty stiff and closed minded on why nobody should use nlite. And you got a lot of things wrong cause you never even tried it.

First of all, any person using nLite should inderstand at first how do to an UA cd... there's a manual for that and the manual is not nLite oriented. So YES there is other ways to do the same thing without nLite... SO WHAT?

Now you say oh I use this and that, use deloy tools for the unattended part blablabla.... nLite does the same exact thing with 5 clicks of a mouse so why bother splistreaming SP2 with long commands in command-prompt, or integrate hotfixes manually, or even writing your own winnt.sif. nLite is a time saver here.

And now the main point.... you seem so frustrated and OH MY GOD WHY REMOVE COMPONENTS WHEN ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE bouhouhou you are crazy mofos for wanting that... Take a deep breath, stick your nose out of your a** and THINK! Don't you think nuhi didn't thought about that? Did you at least used nlite once to realise the critical stuff you need to use other components are MARKED IN RED so unless you are stupid, or want to test some experimental feature, you better stick with removing what you KNOW will not break your OS. It's not because the option to remove component is there that this is an obligation to use. For my part I only remove windows messenger and guided tour!

So in résumé, nlite is a great program to do something other programs can do. It is fast and easy to use for anyone with a basic in making ua cds. You have lot of customisation options, you can remove components and add tweaks and patches BUT NOBODY FORCES YOU DO TO SO! I used the tweaks to reduce the size of my tweaks.reg file (and to be sure I don't double tweak the same thing). As for patches you so call hacks. Except for the winntbbu.dll and the tcp which are real patches, everthing else i'm sure is a function microsoft knowingly implemented, like if bill gates wanted the adds when he installs xp... like if any microsoft IT installed microsoft with the GUI to "learn" about movie maker 2...

Being skeptical is not a bad thing, like when someone tells you he saw jesus at the grocery store, or that he invented the best antivirussoftware ever but can only show it in videoconference. Doubt is not bad. But here you don't seem like someone who doubts, you seem like someone who doesn't want to accept the idea that there is not only HIS way of doing things, yes you can use only one program to do the same job, yes you can use nlite without removing harmful components and yes it IS faster to do a ua cd with nlite than without. Try it, test it, and THEN complain about it.

Oh and I don't have many computers, and I still must add something. Ghosting multiple pc is a good solution IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PC!!! Like in a school where all labs have computers bought in batch with all the same pieces in it. You can ghost windows from one clean install onto everyother computer and yes it's faster than installing. But this is not always the case, some companies bought 5 computers one year, 5 more 2 years later, than 7 more last years, and 3 kickass top of the top computers this year. How do you want to ghost all those 20 computers that do not have the same specs, parts, drivers, etc. Your answer is a short view one, intended to give yourself the point in the argumentation. But again,if you stick your head out of your a** and look around there is NOT ONLY YOU AND YOUR LITTLE PERSON. If nlite is useless to you, if you prefer to clone your pcs because you can do so, FINE, go for it. But I'm really skeptical about the pseudo-"arguments" you gave in trying to put down nlite, while calling this "understanding"

Cheers B)

I'm not a fan, in fact I haven't used nlite for a year before this weekend cause I didn't need to do a UA cd. I just hate when people say things they don't really know and try to "understand" while putting down what does not confirm their beliefs. I know it looks like a big argument but it's just a side effect of being a philosophy student. I learned to do a structured and well knit argumentation (or at least I try to most of the time).

A fanatic would force everyone to use nLite, and that's not at all what I said. :) Unless you can find me that bible page with the 11th commandment, "Thou Shalt use Nlite to Honour your God"

Edited by Thauzar

Hello

Can anyone enlighten me with real benefits of nLite. I am rather sceptic about it.

Besides installing/uninstalling components you like/want (as far as you can see the point in that  :blink: ) is there anything else? I can't seem to get the point?

Greets

Davor

Do do unattended ? No one has comment that nlite is a tools for creating an unattended xpcd. And it does a lot more, In fact in my opinion it's a wonderful software for security and reducing footprint.

With Nlite I save a lot of time installing windows on pc, And I dont even have to click anything, I can troubleshoot a other one while windows is installing :thumbup

PS: The doubt that you have about nlite is surely because you never had an unattended xpcd.

component removal and SATA driver integration are the things I value from it most

my xp install is around 600mb now, fully functional, without any of the crap that xp installs -most if it you can hide but not fully remove in xp, but nlite totally gets rid of them, like system tools, useless functions and msn explorer etc, just give it a whirl before putting it down and notice the difference in speed

Since I got a dvdwriter, I don't even bother with driver integration and go with BTS's full set of driverpacks. Those are great!

But still, whenever the need to have an unattended windows cd comes, even if it's not filled with apps and stuff, at least installing with SP2 slipstreamed and the most current hotfixes is a must nowadays, adding an AV soft with current virus dev is also not bad with all those worms and stuff out there.

oogh... i like when people get into flames.....

i am a nlite user also an nlite tester....but i will not try to bring any arguments for using it or not...

cause i belive in FREE WILL>>>>

Next time I'll put more smileys everywhere.... :thumbup

Edited by Thauzar

:P more smileys a must lol.sure u can just install xp full no tweaks etc ,most people i know just home users never heard of nlite ryans pack etc could care aless just load xppro and their happy bloat and all.then theirs the power user always tweaking hacking making the fastest stable intergated os known too man the nlite crowd,armed with a iso geared to unattented install xp too their liken.Now i use nlite im always looking to make the smallest usefull iso of xo i can got my lastest down to 700mb installed not bad but i had to remove media player display drivers modem drivers etc etc ,not a big problem for me ,in fact it install in like 10 minutes pretty sweet but alot of my friend love xp for one reason it finds and installs most drivers for most hardware a no brainer for the novice windows user,i guess not knowing about nlite aint so bad just install an os and be happy with it.in a forum theirs always confusion and flaming always omeone who swears their way is law or if u dont do as they have your a lamer behind the times and so on ,hell i no folks uing 98se who refuse to try xp cause there contend with a os they undrstand,so maybe everyone uses a program for there own personal needs and why agrue to them about it,i love nlite i loved 98lite i think any program that saves time and can tweak remove enhance a os is valuable a tool as well to whats in a os and what you can and should not remove.so try it out its not for everyone but it is the coolest program in its gender ived ever used that,ll ne 5 bucks nunhi lol

:hello:

albator, please read the whole post before posting.

can't argue bledd, he's never wrong :unsure:

I'l write down my conclusions and you won't see me back in this thead :boring:

Thauzar, I never said "that nobody should use nLite" and other things that you pretty much have 'blown up', and other things about those "same pc's" is simply not true, because there is only 1 standard IDE driver, good enough to boot up all your pc's, and the rest will configures while booting. On the OTHER hand, whats wrong with having a server with basic images of some 50 different pc's in an orgaization that has 150pc's? Waste of disk space?: not in these days. About other things i will not go into detail; haven't got the will.

It's nice you are a philosophy student, so am I. The first things they drilled in us about 'giving arguments' is to first fully understand the persons arguments which you are arguing. In other words, try to put yourself in his/her shoes. As a fact, personally, this is one of my biggest fears: I would feel literally a moroon if I argued someone without Understanding enough what he is taking about. In my opinion, you fail here.

But don't take it hard: it's just an opinion with reasons stated above.

I THINK that nLite is a very good tool, but only for admins, advanced users who use it's options for purposes that are REALY needed. Shrinking windows for limited HW resources and simple driver implementation are really useful IMO, but all the rest is nothing 'new'. My biggest sceptisizms about nLite is just because of THAT fact, and also because of the fact that i prefer 'in package' programs above others. (in onther words i don't like having 5 programs on my machine that do the same.)

Orindary users/tweakers talking about their nLite and XP machine let me thing on the following:

----------------------------------------

Once I had problems with memory, went to corsair forums and saw guys posting:

first guy: "My bandwidth is 2600Mb/s"

other one: "No s***, with this and this I managed to get 2610Mb/s"

first guy: "Noooo, you serious. I want that too!!"

last one: "You'r all nOObs. I have 2700Mb/s!"

----------------

Now, the last guy is probably well behind the nOObs because the nOObs have a newer system, and the timeless tweaking continues.

----------------------------------------

I feel like I am past this stage ~~

After all this, i conclude i don't need nLite as a tool, but it doesn't mean i will never need it. As for the developers, keep up the good work :thumbup

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

Well im sorry if I did not understant TOTALY but you know what? I'm not in your shoes, and you should know better that it's impossible to get a real grasp at what was the real intention of somebody when they speak. And in the best of my knowledge, I put myself in your shoes and realised based on your arguments, that following a question about why using nlite... you where only downing every argument one after another. I simply gave you a complete answer about why you should use nlite, but it you have other programs doing the same thing great for you, you don't need it, and then don't use it. But don't come and say I'm a morron...

Cause you did not understant enough either what I was saying, because I was only trying to answer a question you asked about why nlite was usefull (the exact question was about the benefits of using nlite beside components removal, and you just didn't seem like you wanted to see it's usefull for many thing at many levers for many people, not only admins.... simply because "there is other ways to do it...".

Even if it's useless and only for fun, if a noob want to have an unattended cd, with nothing else than plain windows xp gold and no components removed. well go for it for all I care... the program served it's purpose. End of skepticism, question answered, then the choice is yours to use it or some other program (cause there is always other ways to do it) and you seem like you've made yours... good for you!

if you don't understand it, don't touch it.
Yup
and the fact is, there is no-one who understands all the differents asspects of an OS these days.

Nope

There is a great (and growing) number of us who understand the components in the Windows operating systems very, very well.

Davor

I have yet to use nLite but it seems like it would be a very nice program. I very much like the Idea of it and will give it a try. I think your percentages are a little off though ... there are many things that you can safely modify in Windows and if you just go to Microsofts site you can find a lot of information about how it works for the most part. Since when has windows worked a 100% off the shelf anyways?? (I have restarted windows machines too many times for someone to sway my opinion)

I have made a lot of changes to windows succesfully and it work perfectly ... not nearly 100% of the time ... more like 50% of the time but I am very curios of what can be changed and can't. I would rather not just be complacent and press the accept button on what Microsoft deems should and should not be on my computer. ... I like my room clean too ... and organized .. obsesive compulsive disorder ... maybe but by god windows will be fine tuned for my needs!!

nLite seems like it will make the process easier ... just installing and having all the stuff suited to my needs instead of installing than making changes. :-)

My 2 cents (more like $1.76)