installing windows from hdd

I don't know what version of Windows you're using but both XP and 2000 Pro do that automatically. It copies the files needed for setup from the CD and does the actual install from the hard drive. Once the drive is formatted, files are copied and setup begins, it runs from the hard drive from there. After 1st reboot you can take out the CD

If you're using 98 or ME you can do it by first booting from a floppy and choosing "Start with CD Rom Support" then after formatting the hard drive, type the following at the command prompt: (the text in brackets is key presses, not text to type)

C: [enter]

md win98 (or win9x for ME) [enter]

cd win98 (or win9x) [enter]

D: (or whatever letter your cd rom is) [enter]

cd win98 (or win9x) [enter]

copy *.* C: [enter]

This copies all of the contents of the win9x or win98 folder to the folder of the same name on your hard drive. If you're using ME, you'll need to boot from floppy to do the install. If 98, type at the command prompt: sys C:

That copies command.com to the hard drive and makes it bootable.

Actually, I think that I've seen my modular drive light flash a few times when I'm reinstalling Windows XP Home during the GUI Setup, so I think that I know what tha_inspecta is talking about.

It's a Dell OEM CD.

CD install reads from CD!

Perform an Unattended Install through a network maped drive

No CD will be required after boot, but you need WinPE or BartPE to boot the machine to be installed. It can be removed safely after 1st reboot ;)

Edited by kazuza

The only thing that I can think of at this time is using custom and non-standard regional settings which would require access to the i386\lang folder. Things like using Canadian English as opposed to US English. Although it doesn't work, I still like changing it just for the hell of it.

I guess that I could always remove the CD and see what happens, but I don't know much and only recently started doing unattended installations, so I try and not waste anymore time if I'm reinstalling Windows by playing around with the installer.

If you can remove the cd after first reboot, does that mean that $oem$ contents and all are copied to the HD temporarily for the whole install process?

The $OEM$ contents will be copied to the hard drive if you have the

OemPreinstall = Yes

property in the [unattended] section of winnt.sif.

The files in $OEM$ are never cleaned up by the Windows installer. They will remain on the hard drive until you delete them.

You can't take out the CD. Even if does not make sense to me also, and I don't see the point in reading the media after everything has been coppied to harddrive, the setup is constantly accessing the media througout the GUI part of setup.

If you take out the CD, setup starts complaining about it very quickly.

Ask MS why... :}

mostly, when gui portion of setup says "Installing Start Menu Items", it reads almost everything from cd...

dunno why but i guess that during txtmode of setup, it does not copy the application cab files, and directly unpacks them during gui mode..

thats why it requires cd during gui mode of setup...