Fastest OS

compass

which is the fastest Operating System ?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. which is the fastest Operating System ?

• win 98 se
    • win 2000 p
    • win 2000 s
    • win NT
    • win ME
    • win Xp h
    • win Xp p
    • win 2003

Xp Pro for me. Reason being, Xp runs the latest hardware. Dual-core, hyper-threading, etc.

If you mean the OS with the least overhead (I don't see DOS 6.22 or Win 95) well then that would be the oldest OS. Not exactly a meaningful evaluation.

Edited by raskren

i agree with raskren insofar as his point about hardware, it's probably xp. very nlite'd.

i think a requirement should be that you've used all of the major types before voting :D

(i.e. 98, me, xp, 2k, and 2k3, but not necessarily xp home versus xp pro)

i'd love to see some benchmarks... i have all three but i really don't want to clean off a machine and virtual pc's are a bad comparison... anyone wanna nlite 2k, xp and 2k3 and do some benchmarking? :thumbup

A bit of a meaningless topic really. Are we talking about the fastest OS on today’s hardware or the fastest OS on the hardware that was around when each OS came out? If you’re talking today’s hardware, then XP is the fastest for a workstation or 2003 for a server. If however, you used a machine from 1998/1999, then Windows 98 would be the fastest because XP would be slow as s***. Mainly because most machines at that time had around 64Mb ram. Or towards the end of 1999 you’re stepping towards 128 Mb territory so Windows 2000 would be the better choice. You could compare a 1998 machine running win98 with a 2001 machine running winxp but then it wouldn't be fare because you would have to compare equivalent applications.

If the question was what is the fastest OS on today’s hardware regardless of what you can do with it, then the answer would be MS-DOS 1.0 as it would load almost instantly. An improvement of considerable magnitude when compared to the IBM Datamaster with its 8086 processor and 64K ram which made its debut with MS-DOS 1.0

The other thing to take into account is the reliability and stability of the system. An nlited system, while very customized, is also very problematic in different scenarios.

Before the flames come, I know it can be polished very nicely, but the sad fact is that it takes many many trials to finally get a tweaked version...and that's only for one specific configuration. In other words, for a consumer it's not bad, but in a corporate or production environment you probably would just opt for the vanilla install.

I would like to see a benchmark of the three previously mentioned systems...yet I suggest also throwing in a comparison of a vanilla install vs. an nlite install. They we could begin to see if the time and effort of nlite is truely beneficial in the long run.

I could conduct some benchmarks, but I currently have my personal computer at work, so it would be a while.

The other thing to take into account is the reliability and stability of the system. An nlited system, while very customized, is also very problematic in different scenarios.

Before the flames come, I know it can be polished very nicely, but the sad fact is that it takes many many trials to finally get a tweaked version...and that's only for one specific configuration. In other words, for a consumer it's not bad, but in a corporate or production environment you probably would just opt for the vanilla install.

I would like to see a benchmark of the three previously mentioned systems...yet I suggest also throwing in a comparison of a vanilla install vs. an nlite install. They we could begin to see if the time and effort of nlite is truely beneficial in the long run.

I could conduct some benchmarks, but I currently have my personal computer at work, so it would be a while.

The problem with a benchmark is it is going to be predominately hardware based. Read: it will stress the hardware, not the software. Any variance amongst the scores would all fall well within the margin of error for the test leaving us with inconclusive results. To further remove hardware from the list of variables the test would have to be run on bleeding-edge hardware: Dual-core CPU, 4GB RAM, SCSI hard drives in a RAID0 configuration, and possibly frozen and overclocked. We could probably remove the hard drive as a variable entirely by loading the operating system onto an iRam device. But with this hardware how do we test DOS? Windows 3.x? 95, 98, Me? We can't and that doesn't make for a good test or conclusive results.

The "fluff" in Xp that many purists hate consumes memory and little else. Throw enough ram at Xp and it will run AS FAST as Windows 2000. When you add small kernel improvements like prefetching you might find Xp faster than 2000 when including application launch and system bootup into the results, contrary to popular belief.

2000 doesn't require as much ram as Xp. In a low memory environment an Xp box might be continuously paging to disk while the 2000 machine processes along happily. This is a scenario where an older OS is faster but probably doesn't answer the original poster's question.

Nothing quite like DOS 5 / Win 3.1 on a 2.4GHz P4 :lol:

Voted "Me" - that's the fastest out-of-the-box 32-bit OS (well almost 32-bit) I've tried yet. Too bad it was so buggy :} - I'll just stick with W2K and nLite ;)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer