windowx 98 copy function.to slow..

rakeshinx

i have windows 98 installed n the problem is when i copy large files.. it slows down the system other applications almost freeze till copy is complete... but this is not the case with windows xp.. is there some way to make it fast!?

i think your computer is totally slow ...

not only in the case of copying ...

first uo go to %root%\windows\temp & temp internet

Del all the files from that folder ..

and run "msconfig" untic unwanted items ..

defrag your computer..

it will solve your problem

Good luck

nope my comp is not slow.. i hv just installed windows.. it works fast enough... just while copying large files it slowws down..n copying speed is also slower as compared to xp... is there any way to speed it upp!!

How are you motherboard drivers, they need to be correct and upto date. If they are, you should have DMA turned on if your PC is half decent.

Also worth trying is adware and spyware, if it is eating your memory.

Are you certain you're making a fair comparison? If you have XP installed at the start of the drive in the sweet spot and 98 stuck right on the inside it will be a little slower. Even slower would be if you were moving stuff from a further away partition.

Test if you have the same problem moving your files using Winfile.

You will find it in

C:\WINDOWS\WINFILE.EXE

or just clic "start" "run" and type "winfile".

If this improve the file transfer, I will recommand an alternative file manager such as Xplorer2.

guys but the copy speeds in XP and 98Se are highly different.it takes arnd 3-4 mins 2 copy 4 Gb data on XP and that on 98 takes ages why so?is this due 2 different set of platform and different source codes that the 2 OS r setup or some other reason

Perhaps you don't have the right drivers installed on your PC.

For example, if you have a VIA motherboard then I highly recommend installing the VIA IDE Miniport drivers.

FWIW, 98 SE and 64-bit Linux seem to copy at about the same rate.

Edited by azagahl

There is not enough information :

What are your swap file settings ?

Is your drive(s) defragmented ?

Where do you copy from and to ? Same disk ? disk to disk ?

How many files are involved ? 2, thousands, tens of thousands ?

And is everything the same in both cases beside the OS and the filesystem ?

In your 98 and XP copying speed coparison, are you using 2 different computers OR are you using 2 different hard drives? Hard drive speed makes a HUGE difference. You could very well be using 98 on some really old 4200RPM hard drive and XP on a new 7200RPM hard drive. In my experience, both operating systems tend to copy files at about the same speed, if on the same hardware. I've also see no difference in speed comparing NTFS to FAT32, if that means anything.

i don't think this is about that, i think he's refering to the old large file moves/deletes problem discussed here -

http://technology.januario.com/2004/09/win...lorer-slow.html

there are other threads on the subject but i can't find the posts very easily through the search. i think MDGx had a solution based on using two older IE files or something, i also thought it was maybe addressed in part in a recent IE patch...

btw FAT32 is technically faster than NTFS but not so's you'd notice (checks for file permissions et all)

Edited by miko

1. Enable DMA for your HDD, it will increase speed by large margin.

2. Defrag your HDD.

3. Keep large free space on your drive that holds TEMP folder.

4. Keep fixed size SWAP file, and keep it on different partition than your system partition.

5. Try to use Copy Handler tool. I think it is little faster and though it may not look faster, it is good tool to copy files as it gives so much options, like Pause/Resume copy process, or skip some files from unreadable disks etc.