IE7 Big Disappointment Already

dman

i think IE7 will definatly bring back alot of people from dodgy firefox and nonfreeware opera

hmmm... you could very well be right, but i doubt it. reason? many payware users seem to think their stuff is the best, period, regardless of its quality. Opera, though i've never used it, does seem to be an outstanding, feature rich and VERY fast browser (fast as in load time - i think they're all about the same in page load times). FF users, once accustomed to configuring their browser the way THEY want, seem to love it and are anxious to promote it. myself, i'd never go back[wards] to IE after having used FF. i have so much more control.

Thats true

But there are some people that dont know all the extra settings in FF

And there are some people using the 'free' version of opera with ads

I used opera and it is an exellent browser i just would switch to it if it was free (ie no ads)

But i will never switch to firefox because of the fact that FF has failed to meet my requirements

Such as it didnt secure a https page and saved the credit card number and with its javascript flaw (which was supposedly fixed) on a test page showed that the card number could easily be retrieved by any page

I ran the same test In IE6 / IE7 and they never done it

Opera didnt do it either

Anyway i dont think IE7 is a disapointment, but to some people of course it will be

As for the fact of MS copying FF, people want and asked for those features and now they are doing it, so seriously its not worth complaining about - if its a disapointment to you, submit it to MS whats wrong or use another browser which most people do

Either way go MS bring on IE7

Anyway i dont think IE7 is a disapointment, but to some people of course it will be

As for the fact of MS copying FF, people want and asked for those features and now they are doing it, so seriously its not worth complaining about - if its a disapointment to you, submit it to MS whats wrong or use another browser which most people do.

This entirely misses the point of this thread. I care about browser only as far as how much extra work I have to do to code for it. I was disappointed when I thought that MS was leaving out key CSS standards in IE7. Thankfully I learned otherwise early in this thread. I could give a rat’s a** about tabs or even security on browsers other people use, as long as it renders my code correctly. I personally like k-meleon, but this thread isn’t about features or security it’s about CSS standards, or lack thereof. Anyone have any comments about that?

if you want maximum security, use Opera. v8.02 was just recently released.

Changes since 8.01:
Security
Solved download dialog spoofing issue described in Secunia Advisory SA15870
Fixed image dragging issue described in Secunia Advisory SA15756
Prevented link hijacking issue described in Secunia Advisory SA15781
Miscellaneous
Improved default handling of encodings in spelling checker.
Multiple stability fixes.
When an installed plug-in is available, use as default handler rather than display download dialog.
Fixed issue where search.ini could be picked up from wrong location.
Improved support for XMLHttpRequest.
Fixed download handling when closing originating page.

So I'm clueless?

Please tell me what IE7 has more than IE5+MAXTHON...

It's good feed for debate IMO.

Well, I have seen your scripts, so I know you are far from clueless. But read the original post in this thread and click the link to try Maxthon (IE) against some W3C Compliant CSS :}

• 2 months later...
So I'm clueless?

Please tell me what IE7 has more than IE5+MAXTHON...

It's good feed for debate IMO.

Maybe this not a correct comparaison ( because of the use of the rendering engine), But I had try maxthon lite and it seem good 4 IE lovers. For the wait of IE 7 you can use tabs, css and plugins, advanced customisation...

and no your not clueless ! Respect to Fredledingue (Dman your are cool also) :D

Edited by albator

If you want IE6 to be secure (probably more secure than FireFox and Opera) then do the following:

I originally posted this tutorial here: http://thespoke.net/blogs/travisowens/arch.../05/476899.aspx

------------------

Summary: This allows you to be administrator but run any program (ex: IE) in non Admin mode, protecting you from spyware & viruses properly. Keep in mind we're using ONLY tools created by Microsoft, no 3rd party here. On a personal note, if you have elevated access on the domain or any server, I would highly recommend you follow these steps. This only works for Win2000 or newer.

Step 1. Install the MS Tool "Drop My Rights" from:

http://snipurl.com/i6ol [1]

Step 2. Choose to install it to your WinDir folder (often C:\Windows\ ), do not create a special folder for it!

Step 3. When you want to run a program you can't trust (ex: IE) simply set your icon's Target (found in the icon properties) to something like this

%windir%\DropMyRights.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" n

The "n" is the privilege mode, you can choose from:

* "n" is normal non-admin user mode (best choice)

You still are yourself minus the admin privileges. Keep in mind that "n" mode still gives IE (spyware, virus) power over your personal files (read, delete), but prevents the spyware/virus from installing or infecting anything. You should always surf this way 24/7

* "c" is for paranoid mode

Most things work, there is no read/write access to your files (this includes favorites) so you are protected from most anything.

* "u" is for super paranoid mode but most things won't work correctly.

if you want to access a truly dangerous site then you want this setting

Step 4. (Optional) If you want to add a (MS created) toolbar to IE that shows your current privileges check

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archi.../24/195350.aspx

Side Notes:

- If you want to install an app you get from the web, save it to your PC first, you won't be able to install it from within IE in protected mode (this is a good thing)

- If you want to install a new ActiveX component, you'll have to run IE in traditional unsecure mode.

- Any application that the 1st application launches will use the same restrictive rights (ex: while in IE you click a PDF or Media Player, they will run in the same restricted mode).

- Windows Vista 2006 will have official support for this natively and will run IE in reduced mode by default

[1] http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2...ropMyRights.msi