Abit NF7-s v2.0 ignoring Multiplier factor..

Bluelight

I have my old Abit NF7-S v2.0 here, and wondering how I overclocked the 2500+ CPU.. :P

I know I'v done it before, but when I now set user defined settings, the MoBo just ignores them and uses default 2500+ multiplier factor..

The external clock is set to 166MHz.. (FSB)

And the multiplier factor is set to 11..

That gives the CPU a speed of 1.833MHz wich is it's default..

I tried to increase the multiplier factor to 12, but when I BOOT, it just ignores that setting..

There is one option called CPU Interface wich I set to Enable..

That means overclocking setting activated..

I tried to Disable it to, to see if it did eny diffrence with no result..

Do I have to increase the FSB?

I have a 400 FSB supported card, so maybe setting it to 200 external clock and set the memory ratio to 1/1?

Then it will run at 200 x2 FSB, right?

Edit: Searching for my old cards manual...

Edited by Bluelight

Doh..

I have overclocked it before..

So it can't be locked..

Or is that to a sertain multiplier that it is locked?

And is there a easy way to unlock it?

And will 200 FSB work?

What if the Multiplier is still 11 when setting FSB to 200 (400).. :P

Edit: And how does your Motherboard support 540 FSB (270x2)?

Or does only the RAM ratio FSB count?

Edited by Bluelight

If the multiplier is ignored in the BIOS, it is locked. PERIOD!!

No, You can't unlock any of the multipliers. It will always be @ 11. Anything else will be ignored.

If the FSB is set to 200 you cpu will run @ 200*11 = 2.2ghz or equivalent of XP 3200+.

My CPU is a XP Mobile. All mobile CPU's are unlocked.

My mobo supports 270 because my mobo is one of the first batch of NF7-S Rev 2. Its an excellent overclocker and I have actually managed to get mine all the way to 280 but it was unstable. Additionally I have also done some voltage mods to my mobo so I can provide more voltage to the chipset and the RAM. My RAM is good ol' BH5 ram that can be basically overclocked to hell with high voltage.

Edited by big poppa pump

Ok, thanks a lot for the info.. :)

But isnt mobile CPU for notebooks?

What is the CPU name, brand, numbers?

I just got very intrested in this.. :D

Also found this site..

:)

Edit: I'm getting sick.. Ill..

This is something I GOT to be part of..!

OCZ Platinum Edition Revision 2 PC-3200 memory has been designed for ultra-low latency operation on Intel Pentium 4 and AMD AthlonXP/Athlon 64 platforms. OCZ Platinum Edition PC-3200 memory is able to reach latencies as low as CL 2-2-2-5.

OCZ PC-3200 products are 100% hand-tested to ensure compliance with stringent quality standards. In addition, every 1GB Dual Channel Kit from OCZ is hand tested as a matched pair across a wide variety of motherboards to ensure flawless performance on most motherboards.

Each OCZ Platinum Edition Revision 2 module also comes with a high quality copper heat spreader with a platinum mirrored finish.

OCZ Platinum Edition memory modules are rated to handle up to 2.9V without invalidating the OCZ Lifetime Warranty so that performance enthusiasts can tweak their systems without worry.

Edited by Bluelight

Mobile processors run on lower voltages and are multi-unlocked upwards aswell as downwards :)

Most normal AthlonXP chips are very poor clockers which is why people use the mobiles.

Only the mobiles and the recent FX64 processors are unlocked (as the FX is an enthusiast chip).

Those OCZ Plat Rev2's are very nice ;) you can squeeze 250mhz out of em without having to up the voltage too much or loosing mem timmings too much.

However they are TCCD chips which started being used way after the days of AthlonXP systems which were usually being run with BH5 (which can do crazy FSB's with very tight timings yet require 3.2volts or more). Yet the NF7 series of motherboards and the DFI LP which are the best 2 Socket A motherboards overclocking wise are still supported by the overclocking community and there is no doubt bios' out there which have been tweaked for TCCD optimisation.

big poppa pump, do you recomend the X-Mystique over the Audigy2 sound cards? My Audigy2 ZS is currently on loan to a mate with broken onboard sound but he is getting a new rig v soon and wondered if It would be worth me giving/selling the card to him for cheap and picking up a X-Mystique?

Edited by Mekrel

The HDA X-mystique is one of the two PCI cards that support true Dolby Digital Live 5.1

The Audigy doesn't even come close to it. If you hook it up to a DD5.1/DTS receiver via SPDIF the sound is awesome. That's another reason why I still have NF7-S - Soundstorm. Believe it or not I used to do 90% of my gaming on my NF7-S till the time I got my X-Mystique card.