Im going to build a pc.

that specs will be

PC Chips Mobo + 2.4GHz Celeron + 1GB Ram + GForce Fx 5200 = $100 from my bro

16x Black DVD Rom from my fri3nd matts dell

40ish GB hd from newegg or summat

XP Pro Corp.

Is this a good system?

OK, I have a question...

Why do you even mention you are using a Corporate edition of Windows XP if we know that most people using that got it illegitimately? :}

If I were you, I would get a better drive... One with more space in it! ;)

OK, I have a question...

Why do you even mention you are using a Corporate edition of Windows XP if we know that most people using that got it illegitimately? :}

Dad works at Chase. I own a LEGAL copy

OK, I have a question...

Dad works at Chase. I own a LEGAL copy

No problemo! ;) Just for next time! ;)

you're obviously on a tight budget (or so i gather since your brother is chipping in). take a look at some alternative components though and see if you can't do better for roughly the same amount of money...

AMD processor -- good stuff at a good price (take it from a former Pentium freak). definitely dump the celron!

MOBO: look at MSI (miocrostar international) -- some very good boards at really good prices. if you're going to skimp on anything, don't let it be the MB! that's your building block for your whole rig and i guarantee you'll have problems or a slow system if you buy a cheap board. get the best you can afford. period.

if you can't quite afford a good board and processor, skimp on the RAM for now and at least get a good board. you can always add more later. just get 1, 512 MB stick (more than enough to run XP, especially if you nLite it :) )

another area to not skimp is the HD -- get a good one. 40G's is fine if you don't plan on storing a lot of stuff (MP3's, movies, etc.) and even if you do, you can always add drives later. if you can, get one of the small WD Raptor SATA 10,000 RPM drives and a MB with a SCSI controller, then, later, you can add an identical 2nd drive and create a RAID 0 array -- you'll be groovin! :)

He is getting an AMD64 and he has another video card (Gforce 6600GT) so I am getting his older (like 2 months old) parts.

Hes getting more ram, so i get 1gb and i get his old video card.

Oh and this will be used to play GTA3, VC , Secret service Hard Truck 18Whls Steel., browse the web download and test betas in VPC. Etc etc.

I hope that clears up confusion. ;)

My old pc was a p3 500 384mb ram 8gb hd and a 64mb pci videocard w/ xp home :huh:

See ya later.

gtg fill potholes...

bye

~ fireware

My advice is to go for a motherboard with a reliable track record, go for something that is not going to have leaked capacitors in a few months. ASUS makes some solid reliable boards as long as you don't go into the -X series.

And don't, whatever you do, don't skip on the power supply. I don't know how many hundreds of PCs I've rebuilt from scratch because the person had a cheap $20 L&C or TigerPro or noname power supply that had it's capacitors jump and juiced the whole machine like a barbeque bonfire at a KKK meeting. Antec and Enermax are reliable brands that will insure your PC has a long life.

Oh and Maxtor harddrives? Do you value your data? 'nuff said.

Oh and Maxtor harddrives? Do you value your data? 'nuff said.

I've had one (a 120Gb drive) for four years running pretty much 24/7 and it's fine.

EXACTLY!

I have a 2gb MAxtor from 1996 and it is STILL running good.

WD sucks!

3 have blown up on me in the past year

The older Maxtor harddrive were ok. The ones before they bought Quantum and started making the new slim drives. The new ones? Reliability is non-existant. I've replaced at least a dozen of them just this month.

Western Digital have always been reliable up until lately, lately I'm becoming a little unsure about their quality.

Seems that Seagate is becoming the new quality leader.

The older Maxtor harddrive were ok. The ones before they bought Quantum and started making the new slim drives. The new ones? Reliability is non-existant. I've replaced at least a dozen of them just this month.

Western Digital have always been reliable up until lately, lately I'm becoming a little unsure about their quality.

Seems that Seagate is becoming the new quality leader.

How bout this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811144041