Got Rid of XP Professional

Heartofgold

A friend of mine has a computer with Win XP Professional on it. He wanted me to get rid of it and put on Win 98SE. He does not want to go online with it. Just run older programs.

#1 How do I get rid of Win XP?

#2 How do I install Win 98 SE?

you are booting from win98 floppy? sounds like the cd-rom driver is not working. What is the driver (displayed when it is trying to load) and what type of cd-rom is it? Have you tried deleting NTFS partition from xp setup cd boot?

To install windows 9x on a computer, you need a disk formatted in fat or fat32. The 98 fdisk should not be able to do that.

Try instead for a proggie like delpart.exe (free microsoft), or free fdisk. These will delete partitions of any type under DOS. Then partition, and format the drives under DOS (win9x boot diskette). You can then install win9x.

load without cd support, but first make sure to clear the cmos, set to plug & play os, assign usb and vga irq on turn off turbro ram. after it boots with no cd support, run fdisk and delete non dos partion. then create pri dos, restart again and go without cd support again and format c:

Reboot and go with cd support and it should work...........then type setup

dont forget to do ide detect in bios

You may run into a problem with drivers. The maunfacturers of new modern hardware are not writing drivers for older OS's anymore. I've run into several components where there were only drivers available for XP and 2000 Pro.

Yeah, I STRONGLY suggest that you make sure you have drivers that will work on windows 98 before you do this. It might get frustrating if you get the OS installed and find out you have no video driver and you're stuck in 16 colors, (or whatever it is.) If this was a store bought computer (HP, Compaq, Dell) then the chances are high that you could be out of luck finding drivers for the system. I know that when I built my system last year, it was hard to find hardware that was compatible with 98SE through XP, now its one year later and I'm sure it's even more difficult.

On another note, I must say that I really admire everyone who is still maintaining windows 98, fight the power!! It's getting harder and harder to find people who will say "Man XP is terrible, I'm re-installing 98SE immediately." If more people stick with windows 98 and don't switch over, hardware and software developers "will" (or at least should) continue to make hardware/software for the OS, so keep it up!

Edited by Jlo555

IMO most of XP-only drivers will work very well on w98se but you can't be sure because they didn't test it on w98se. Of course since they don't develop it for this OS.

From what it seems, the overall structure of a windows XP driver's INF file is different from that for a windows 98\me system. Therefor it will likely not be processed correctly.

Had to redo an inf and driverfile set for getting my softmodem supported in windows 98. This Toshiba Satellite [A15-S157] Laptop of mine is only supported for use with Windows XP. Ended up getting a Win98 driver set from Lucent and meshing it with the XP drivers for my modem to get it working correctly. Ended up with a rewrite of the inf.

Yeah, I STRONGLY suggest that you make sure you have drivers that will work on windows 98 before you do this.  It might get frustrating if you get the OS installed and find out you have no video driver and you're stuck in 16 colors, (or whatever it is.)

Best that can be done is track down the actual manufacturers of each piece of hardware to get the needed drivers. Then go to the manufacturers website directly. Intel seems to be very keen on providing 9x drivers for their chipsets so there is definately luck using intel hardware. :thumbup

I've been through the *scouring the web for compatible drivers* spiel once before. It is not something to sneeze at while drinking a latte. :angry:

Edited by Chozo4

• 3 weeks later...
load without cd support, but first make sure to clear the cmos, set to plug & play os, assign usb and vga irq on  turn off turbro ram. after it boots with no cd support, run fdisk and delete non dos partion. then create pri dos, restart again and go without cd support again and format c:

Reboot and go with cd support and it should work...........then type            setup

dont forget to do ide detect in bios

Actually, if the RAM is stable, you probably can leave the turbo setting on and disabling the assign IRQ for VGA option isn't a good idea, because video cards require an IRQ and thus doing that can cause the video card driver installation to fail.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP