Extra Computer (PII 450, 256MB,CDRW,ethernet)

babis

it happens that I have a pII 450, 256ram, cdrw, ethernet, soundcard, video card, (flat moniter but the power cord is missing, in other words no monitor for this comp)

and I was debating what to do with it... sell it? hmm.. use it? but what would i do.... any suggestions?

How big is the HDD? If you have a home network or are thinking of installing one you could use it as you back up file server. I have a system of this nature. What with the falling prices on HDDs you could set it up just to store important files one and if and when you have to clean install on any of the other computers on the network all you have to do is transfer the files from the file server ( or at least that is what I call it :) ). You can use any OS to do this because you will not be using the system for every day use.........

:rolleyes:

i would set it up as a file server, print server, and just for general web browsing.

i know its a pain in the a** when the girlfriend wants to come in and go on the net and i have to get off (i do have 3 machines but i dont always have the network setup)

Whats even more annoying is if im playing a game and she prints something from the networked PC. the printers connected to this machine and its like having HUGE lag. so the other machine should have the printer, either that or get a small print server to go with my hub (which ive hopefully got in this auction, wont find out for another week :) )

thats what id use it for anyway, whack a big hard disk or 3 in it and use it for file storage and a secondary inet PC.

thanks guys...

I was actually going to give it away, but it looks like s***... (i was thinking of donating it to my dept. at college)

I like the print server idea... it does p*** me off when I'm using the comp and next thing i know it starts choking (due to printing).. I'll look into that.. escpecially since i just bought me a new printer (hp psc 950)

thanks again .. really appreciate it..

oh.. it has 12GB

You can do alot with that computer, I have a AMD k6-2 450Mhz with 120mb ram, 10GB HD, CDROM, and it runs my firewall, web server, cvs server, ftp server, and SETI. With yours I could imagine you could do alot more with it.