Playstation 3 Specs

un4given1

well its not a "play"station anymore

it does everything these days, connect to internet, plug in devices, play music + etc. etc.

i'm sure many ppl will get it, i would get it if i was 12-18 & if i was not PC fan. (I love the person who created the keyboard!!)

but for a pc without a monitor $465 value is pretty good, also if the intel chipset Cell story is true (i haven't read much about it) it will rock!

u could say $300-$400 would be for the price of cpu, rest is entertainment :D

and its a pc after all!!! rocks!

about the 7 controllers, i would definitely use it

i mean i dunno how that'd be managed (screen size wise) but if it can be split into 2-3 tv's that'd be awesome, me & ny friends do LAN at least once per year if not we go to net cafe's and play. when we make lan its always a trouble of setting up the network, even though they're xp's, 1 will have spyware, 1 will have virus, 1 will have symantec internet tools that block everything, so they all take a lot of time, and instead of this, me & my 6+ friends can enjoy the easy setup of the console,

ow and of course no need for installing the game on separete computers, unattended or not it takes time, also a friend might have a low spec machine, that creates trouble(lag,etc) and 7 controller would take care of that too, same view & performance on all clients!!!

while writing this i already like the idea of 7 controller and this amazing ps3, might as well get one :P

Unfortunately, Sony says it will sell for "under $465 USD."

~£300 then in the UK then?

I spent that one the PS2 and this is gonna blow the PS2 away so I definately raise the £300 for the PS3 :)

If the xbox 360 is being released by xmas this year, and the PS3 not until next year, it'll mean a bit of a "headstart" for Microsoft, but I'd imagine the sony fans will remain loyal - tho parents of kids probably will buy the new xbox because thats what their kids want hehe

I doubt it will make a big difference but we shall see.

Would be nice if sony sneakily announced it in time for xmas too :)

Does anyone know if the release is worldwide or not? i.e. does the UK/EUROPE release coincide with the US / JP release? Sorry if its been mentioned somewhere in a review - I just havent had a chance to look at the reviews, only seen some of the footage clips :)

Regards,

N.

it's confirmed that xbox launch will be at the same time on america/europe/asia. i think ps3 will be launched first on asia as always :P

btw, have any1 notice that the font used on the ps3 presentation and console side is the one used on spiderman? :blink: lol

btw, have any1 notice that the font used on the ps3 presentation and console side is the one used on spiderman? :blink: lol

Well Spiderman is a Sony movie, and Sony has been doing a lot of things with it considering its success, such as shipping a free Spiderman 2 UMD with the first million PSPs. Also, in the PS3 demos, there was a thing showing a CG rendering of Dr. Octopus' face (amazing) and they had clips from Vision Gran Turismo in the NYC level blended in with scenes from Spiderman 2.

I would sure pay for the PS3 at the price they are estimating it at. I'm not rich but that is is a bargain if you just compare it to most of the high end graphics cards on the market right now excfept you get a state of the art console. Just my opinion though. Can't wait man I can feel the power!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Have you seen the controllers? They are hideous. I'm sure they will have different ones by the time they launch, but who was the genious who decided to showcase those?

Who cares if it allows 7 controllers too. With limited real estate on a tv, who would want that many? Doubt any game would support more than 4.

As far as I see all this is just PR. By the time the system comes out, I'm sure they will make compromises, and the system won't be nearly as good as what they advertise. The XBOX on the other hand, is probably final, so they can start manufacturing and selling by Christmas.

Take a look at some of these specs too. Looks like someone just took the crap that Sony was feeding them, and put it out on paper, much like Fox News and the Whitehouse.

Output in HDTV resolution up to 1080p as standard
When did the 1080p come out. Last I checked it was 1080i. I still prefer 720p games, over 1080i.
Detachable 2.5 inch hard drive

Much like the elusive hard drive for the PS2. This was a big selling point when it came out, but where were the HDs?

CPU Cell Processor running at 3.2Ghz with 7 special purpose 3.2Ghz processors, capable of 218 gigaflops of performance

How much is this system again? I'll believe this when they launch it with that.

None of the specs even matter. It is ALL about the games. Which system gets exclusives, and plays and looks better on. There are some games I prefer to play on PS2, and some on XBOX, but to be honest I prefer my XBOX over the PS2. The PS2 also had a head start over the PS2, which made it fairly popular. Maybe this will give the xbox the kick it needs.

Will sony offer a service like xbox live, and for free?

So far I think both systems look OK, but I'm not putting my money on either system. It's all about what each system has to offer, when it comes out. I'm not going to read the PR bs, I want the hard cold facts. So sad that so many "professionals" here do that for work, but can't for a gaming console? Call me when the PS3 comes out, and then we can see which system is better.

:blink: Blimey :blink:

You guys sure managed to get worked up over this, I dread to think what it will be like when they actually ship the consoles.

But at the end of the day you can have all the specs in the world, but (as someone has already pointed out) it dont mean sh*t without good games being developed.

So this is what I'm gonna do:

Carry on playing my *old* PS2 for a while yet.

Smoke a spliff and take a dump, and wait for the first price cut. Because having paid £350 for my PS2 the first day they came out in England and having to put up with a load of s***e (games wise) for the first few months anyway. I have learnt my lesson.

By the way my PS2 is still working despite its age and hundreds of hours (ab)use, Im baffled as to how but it is :)

Big difference will be between xbox 2 and ps3 in universality - Microsoft is planning to make xbox 2 more similar to today xbox + XBMC then to "only" gaming console...

So in otherwords, they're trying to make sure that their own OS ends up on their system as opposed to Linux... :whistle:

Have you seen the controllers?  They are hideous.  I'm sure they will have different ones by the time they launch, but who was the genious who decided to showcase those?

Who cares if it allows 7 controllers too.  With limited real estate on a tv, who would want that many?  Doubt any game would support more than 4.

As far as I see all this is just PR.  By the time the system comes out, I'm sure they will make compromises, and the system won't be nearly as good as what they advertise.  The XBOX on the other hand, is probably final, so they can start manufacturing and selling by Christmas.

Take a look at some of these specs too.  Looks like someone just took the crap that Sony was feeding them, and put it out on paper, much like Fox News and the Whitehouse.

What could possibly make someone say that the statement concerning the finality of the specs of the Xbox360 is more credible than a statement concerning PS3? The specs both equally subject to change, as well as release dates. If Sony can feed crap to people, so can Microsoft.

About the controllers, there will definitely be games that support more than 4. There are games tha support more than 4 today (Madden?). That's why they sell multitaps.

About the Fox News, I completely agree :D

I don't need to prove anything to you.  I could care less if you believe me.  I am 26 and have accomplished more than most people twice my age.  I enjoy what I do.  My posts all over the internet prove my knowledge.  Want to know where my arrogance comes from?  It comes from dealing with people like you.  You take an obvious landslide and try to some how prove your point.  It's all in the numbers.  Also, You can rave about the XBox/PS2 war, but always remember the XBox had a full year of technology thrown into it after the PS2 was selling millions.

Yes, I'm sure you "know so much". You certainly aren't showing it in this thread. Instead you continue to show what an ignorant, arrogant little fop you truly are. For the record I doubt that you've accomplished anything more than mental masturbation, and I really don't care whether you wish to "prove it" or not.

The fact is that it is NOT "all about the numbers", the numbers are only a small piece of the puzzle. Further, the fact is also that Sony has managed to DUPE you with numbers that you clearly don't understand and haven't read. According to Sony themselves, the Cell at 3.8Ghz can theoretically push 2.18 TFlops. Is PS3 announced at 3.8Ghz? No, it's announced at 3.2Ghz. That translates to roughly 1.8TFlops. Yes, that's still a fair margin above the XBox 360's stated main CPU's numbers, but again, it's only part of the tale, and a part which doesn't even *consider* polygon pushing performance of the GPU's. ATI's GPU specifications are already significantly greater than the announced nVidia specs for PS3, delivering 48 pixel/vertex pipelines that can be programmed for either function at the developer's discretion. The nVidia chip is rumored to have 24 pixel and 6 vertex pipes, statically configured. This factor *alone* ensures greater flexibility and capability for game designers.

Further, the 10MB of *embedded* DRAM, the fastest memory you can get, gives the ATI chip more than TEN TIMES the available bandwidth of the nVidia chip as announced, which has NO eDRAM and has to rely on the slower GDDR3 memory access (which is OFF CHIP, hence the massive speed difference).

There are plenty of additional facts I could bombard you with, and if you were one TENTH Of the man you claim to be you would understand these already. However, you've managed very successfully to demonstrate your ignorance of computer hardware engineering and your own inability to critically analyze raw numbers in a meaningful way. You, sir, are a FANBOY, nothing more, and your foaming, raving imbicilic declarations will not make you appear otherwise.

The final, total fact that is clear right now is simply this: The next generation "Console War" is *anything* but firmly decided. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a drooling brand-name @ss kisser without a lick of sense (and yes, that includes YOU).

Jason

Big difference will be between xbox 2 and ps3 in universality - Microsoft is planning to make xbox 2 more similar to today xbox + XBMC then to "only" gaming console...

In terms of hardware, XBox 360 pretty much *couldn't* be more different than XBox in the current generation. In terms of the interface being like an XBox/XBMC, I suppose that's fair enough.

Also in terms of hardware, PS3's graphics processor is MUCH more alike to a desktop PC than XBox 360's is, and in fact nVidia has already stated that they will have faster, more powerful GPU's on the market before PS3 even launches. ATI, meantime, has said that the XBox 360's GPU has features that will not make it into the desktop market until the end of 2006 and in some cases, 2007.

Jason