Notepad Replacements

Cyber Axe

Professional Notepad i have found to be the best replacement for notepad. is has exactely the same gui and basically just adds a drop down box for syntax highlighting.

Pro notepad all the way.

Back when I wanted a NotePad replacement, I used a now rather old version of Win32Pad that didn't have the new installer, just ran. Nowadays i just stick with NotePad. Small, included in Windows and not really much of a bother.

Thanks to those who mentioned Metapad. I was using Notetab lite, but as cyberaxe noted it's not "really" lightweight, only when compared to PSPad and others like it.

Metapad is really light, however and seems to be the nicest "basic" text editor and a great notepad replacement.

@cyberaxe... I can't imagine what you are looking for that Metapad is not.

Light, portable, simple. I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Is it possible to throw Notepad2 right into the i386 directory without any kind of tweaking, or will the OS start complaining if I do so?

Also, I have downloaded the MPC from sourceforge as I think that one is much bettet than anything else I've seen so far. Can that one be thrown into the i386 directory too?

Sorry for my newbie questions! :)

Hi Guys!

Is it possible to throw Notepad2 right into the i386 directory without any kind of tweaking, or will the OS start complaining if I do so?

Also, I have downloaded the MPC from sourceforge as I think that one is much bettet than anything else I've seen so far. Can that one be thrown into the i386 directory too?

Sorry for my newbie questions! :)

Yes, U can put Notepad2 in your i386 dir.

To this, u must make a can. Rename Notepad2.exe to Notepad.exe and write in command prompt:

modifyPE.exe notepad.exe -c

makecab notepad.exe

When done, copy Notepad.ex_ in your i386 dir and overwrite the original file.

Your idea for replacing WMP with MPC is great, but I dont know how u can do it... :(

I don't understand

makecab notepad.exe

Can I just do makecab notepad.exe and then overwrite the one in i386? Will someone please explain the modifyPE line and it's necessity? Thank you

I don't understand

makecab notepad.exe

Can I just do makecab notepad.exe and then overwrite the one in i386? Will someone please explain the modifyPE line and it's necessity? Thank you

Ok, I will explain u all simple, step by step.

- First download ModifyPE.exe and extract it into X:/Windows/System32 directory.

- Rename Notepad2.exe to notepad.exe

- run Command Prompt and navigate to the directory, containing file notepad.exe

- wirite in command prompt modifyPE.exe notepad.exe -c

- when done, write in cmd makecab notepad.exe

- copy the cab file into your i386 directory and overwrite

- Dont forgot to disable File System Protection! ;)

DONE! Burn ISO & Enjoy! :D:hello:

Edited by Ivanov

• 1 month later...