Which harddrive to buy?

Hi all

I am plaining to get a new harddrive soon, and I have picked out the seagate Baracuda ST3300831AS. (Seagate is my faveroute brand as I like the design more then speed, because I like them to last longer and all that)

I am going to get it from http://www.abcd.com.au/Osiab/Asp/Frameset.asp

(Fourth one from the bottem)

What do you guys think?

also I hear that if you put in the parrameters of the drive into the bios (instead of having auto) you might be able to get your data off. Do you think this is true?

If that don't work I will just try out puting it in the freezer wrapped in plastic to see if that works

See ya guys and thanks

i personally need a good fast hard disk that is state of the art

and that can only come from one place I.B.M or as it is called today Hitachi

i have their disks for 4-5 years now,never failed,even though i really make them work very hard at work(multiple vmwares and lot of snapshots)

its just the no.1 hard disk today

Since many many years i am happy with Western Digital.

but here in italy, they don't sell it much, the most famous brand is the Maxtor, and yesterday there was a computer fair, all were selling Maxtors, at very cheap prices: 200 GB for €85, but i didn't buy from them...

i want WD...

I had Seagate, Maxtor & Western Digital over the years.

My rating on these three:

1 = Seagate

2 = Maxtor

3 = Western Digital

The WD caused daat loss when it suddenly stopped functioning. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I will not buy one again.

The WD caused daat loss when it suddenly stopped functioning. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I will not buy one again.

Yeah those are the ones I don't want either, I think it may have something to do with how much you pay; If you pay more they generally make it better and last longer, I don't want to pay top price, so I went for the next best which is usually was at the top previously before the current top product.

Thanks for your replies

me id have to say wd because ive been using one for a few years now and ive never had any problem, "cross my fingers" but if i ever do ill try a different one

but it does give me some thing to think about after reading yalls posts.. :)

I am currently using a Western Digital, and I think that is also about to go on me, it is a 2gig drive and temporary. the reason I think that is when I perform a deltree command in DOS on a certan file, it sounds like it going from fast to slow and then speeds up again, although it is not doing that in windows. Do you think its on its last legs?

Thanks for your help.

Just to add my two cents....

All the big leaders are as good as each other in terms og reliability - they have to be in order to compete (amongst other reasons of course).

Myself, I've stuck with Hitachi in the recent years as....cant remember the model number off-hand...the type I saw reviewed amongst aload of other drives won on performance and cost - so i started buying them - and havent looked back since.

I've yet to have one, but as mentioned along in various posts here, WD's Raptor drives are really speedy and stable, but at a higher cost p/gb than the rest. If you can afford to, get one of them - otherwise - check out a recent hard drive review-fest and pick a winner :)

Regards,

Nath.

Raptors on thier own dont actually make much difference, just the access times are faster. However in Raid 0 with certain stripe sizes they are very very fast.

I can vouch for Samsung Spinpoint SATA hard disks, not sure if they make PATA equivlents but they are very silent and good drives.