Need Help

ckullas

norton firewall is a pest on XP. try Kerio

its free, very good, lots of features, you can backup firewall rules and save them to file incase of a format etc.

People will start to think im getting paid for recomending it lol. but its a **** fine program, and free for home use.

i havent had a single problem with it on XP at all.

Norton firewall causes a lot of people problems, but not all. so it might not be the culprit, but theres one sure way to find out!

also: open task manager up (hit CTRL+ALT+DEL)

go to processes, then click on View > select columns

Tick CPU Time, and Page faults, then click on OK.

what process is hogging the CPU most? and what process has the most Page faults?

mine are caused by norton and Microsoft Debug manager.

post-2-1039752276_thumb.png

its machine debug manager, or microsoft debug manager, same thing people call it either, but the correct name is the first one. dont believe me? use google and search for MDM.exe :)

Id be really suprised if it was to do with messenger 4.7X as ive never installed it. it was Windows messenger, then i removed that and installed a beta of MSN 5.*

Now obviously using the full release of MSN5.

Are you on a network? Many hard disk access issues are caused on XP because of a win98 computer sharing a drive on the XP computer. Also - if you have office installed - try turning off the indexing feature. Here is how:

go into Word 2002, bring up the Task Pane, switch to the "Search" Task Pane, and switch off Indexing Services under Search Options

LS_Dragons

Okay ckullas,

This is my last attempt. Try shutting down services one at a time and I am confident you will find your culprit. To do this go to start>control panel>performance and maintenance>administrative tools>services> then stop a service by right clicking on a given service and selecting the stop command. Keep in mind that some services may render your OS unusable but with trial and error you WILL find what is continously accessing your hard drive. Keep us posted on your success.

Here is a great resource for determining which background services to turn-off:

BlackViper.com

Scroll down the page for a long list of services that can be turned off. Observe the fourth column from the right, "SAFE" ... http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Basicly, Windows runs 36 services by default and BlackViper suggests that 8 services are really all that are needed. Removing unneeded services also frees up 12 to 79 MB of RAM depending on your configuration. Worth a look, IMHO.

Thanks for all the help guys,

I finally decided to throw in the towel and use my system restore disc. Now my system is working quite well and I'm not having the same problem. Perhaps some of the later suggestions would have worked, but I decided I had too much crap on my system and it was easier just to redo the whole darn thing. I feel like I just got a haircut :) thanks for the great suggestions.