Windows File Protection

Zoofield

The install went perfectly and no WFP popups while using the machine / installing software, drivers etc...

Chad

Thanks for the report, Chad. Which parts of nLite did you make use of? i.e. how did you customise your install?

Okay, I have the sfcfiles.dll from Steps, 3, 5, and 7 attached.

I made a mistake during Step 7 before and left the slipstreamed XP ISO mounted. Therefore, the WFP popups wouldn't show up.

I repeated Steps 3, 5, and 7 to get these files, and I got a WFP popup on Step 7. I didn't bother repeating Step 9 for that reason...

Hi mate,

I've checked the sfcfiles.dlls that you posted (thanks again!) and have noted that the only one that is getting modified is the one in Step 7. The others remain unmodified compared to a vanilla install. This is useful to know as it means that none of the other tools you used are modifying it in any way, which is good for debugging purposes as we can rule out possible interference from them.

Okay, I have the sfcfiles.dll from Steps, 3, 5, and 7 attached.

I made a mistake during Step 7 before and left the slipstreamed XP ISO mounted. Therefore, the WFP popups wouldn't show up.

I repeated Steps 3, 5, and 7 to get these files, and I got a WFP popup on Step 7. I didn't bother repeating Step 9 for that reason...

Hi mate,

I've checked the sfcfiles.dlls that you posted (thanks again!) and have noted that the only one that is getting modified is the one in Step 7. The others remain unmodified compared to a vanilla install. This is useful to know as it means that none of the other tools you used are modifying it in any way, which is good for debugging purposes as we can rule out possible interference from them.

That's definitely good to know. :)

So basically, nLite's procedure for slipstreaming IE7 and/or Media Player 11 Slipstreamer's procedure for slipstreaming MP11 is/are modifying sfcfiles.dll, breaking WFP.

In any case, I'll go ahead and repeat Step 9 as well to see if any updates to IE7/MP11 modify it further.

I can confirm that integrating IE7 requires some extra editing which influence WFP but it shouldn't break in a way that it's requesting not removed files.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to catch up on reading many pages of this thread. I've got a WinXP SP2 disc created with nLite that has those annoying WFP pop-ups as well. I've integrated the majority of the hotfixes, added a multitude of NIC drivers, changed some unattended stuff, integrated IE7 & WM11.

From what I'm reading, nuhi's nearly got it figured out, but this problem doesn't occur in nLite 1.4? Is there a way to get around the pop-ups on existing installations? Is there a way to change my current install source so that the pop-ups don't occur, or will I have to create another new source?

• 2 weeks later...
THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO *NOT* SLIPSTREAM OR INTEGRATE SERVICE PACK 2!

So if I have a XP SP2 disc, that was slip streamed with a program other then Nlite, or by some manual way. Does that mean I can't integrate non-microsoft drivers? So will I have to find a non-SP2 disc and slip stream it with Nlite and then apply the updates and drivers I want?

Windows File Protection Error Fix: I believe I've found a fix for the WFP popups, so you can keep WFP enabled, but kill those annoying pop up messages. :thumbup Try this fix and report your findings.

Props go to Davelicious because I never would have figured it out without reading all his posts!

1) Run Windows File Protection Switcher 1.0 patch and restart PC.

2) Run Regedit to edit the following registry key to 4 (enabled with pop ups disabled) and restart PC.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

Value Name: SFCDisable

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: 0 = enabled (default)

Value Data: 1 - disabled, prompt at boot to re-enable

Value Data: 2 - disabled at next boot only, no prompt to re-enable

Value Data: 4 - enabled, with popups disabled

Value Data: ffffff9d = disabled

Windows File Protection Switcher:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windo...er/1106499902/1

Yeah I would like to get this fixed but there are two things:

1. it's veeeerry complicated since you are asking to remove half windows and keep sfc, it requires some serious hacking and it's being done quite well, except those few files which popup every now and then

2. it's boring since I never use SFC, thus it's hard for me to concentrate on this problem while there are many others more critical.

Going to check it for next version, after rc8.

Sorry to jump all over you. THe WFP/SFC pop ups are the one major rant I have with nLite. If you could include this fix into nLite in future release it would be very much appreciated!

Otherwise it's a truly GREAT product. You have succeeded where Microsoft has failed. Microsoft wants users to run the Windows they think we should run. :no: You have allowed users to run the Windows we actually want to run. And for that I'm grateful! :D

After all, what's the advantage of having WFP? I know about several instances where viruses/worms have been able to completely bypass it (overwriting the Windows Update files to redirect the user to a website which allegedly would fix their present problems). If you want to remain 'safe' - as in the M$ terminology - don't use nlite at all.

That's like saying you know of several instances where people we're killed wearing seatbelts and by airbags in their cars. Does that mean you should remove your seatbelts and airbags in your car so you can be safer too? I don't think so.

To be sure WFP protection doesn't catch everything. Neither does any single Anti-Virus, Firewall, or Anti-Spyware software. But it's much better than no protection. Without WFP any piece of software, driver, or any user could delete any Windows file at any time without any restrictions. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

IMHO nLite itself doesn't make your PC less safe at all. I think the modifications I've made in XP have made it safer by removing services I don't use which can be exploited: eg Outlook Express/Address Book, Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger, Remote Registry, Remote Assistance turned off, Netmeeting, System Restore. :whistle:

Joemama1969:

Does this fix still work as of the date of this particular reply? This may have to be the stopgap until nuhi and ElTorqiro can figure out the issue...

• 3 months later...

So does the new nLite (v1.4) have these WFP errors? I remember back with v1.0RC1 I never got those WFP messages and I used to create 140 MB XP ISOs. On v1.3 even if I disable WFP or SFC, I still get the WFP to pop up when I try to stream WMP 10 codecs (I do this because I remove WMP completely with nLite). When I made v1.0 nLite discs I used to be able to stream WMP 10 codecs just fine after the install and never get a WFP error.

Does any one know if the WFP errors are going to be gone with the new nLite?

So when is the next one actually available..???

The only fix I found was to have a copy of the i386 dir on the pc, and change the windows install path in the registry to point to it...

Its really annoying!!!

Just been reading this:

Some of you still have that SFC popup, I hear you and I will check on it before the final. You know you can disable it in the Options - Patches. But if you really want it and you just integrate then know that IE7 integration is one of the causes. Others are component removal and patches.

I dont integrate IE7, remove any compnents.. the only thing I actually integrate is RyanVMs hotifx pack... thats it, and I still get the popups!!!

Maybe I would be better going back to an eariler version, but cant remember which one I first encountered the popups on..!!

Edited by drscouse