Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

doh... wrong hotfix number. I got 242975dan8.exe

I need 291362 and 239696

In another thread they mention which email to use, to get the hotfixes send from microsoft. But I don't know if it is best to write the email in englsih and ask for the danish update or I should write the entire email in danish. In the other thread all the updates' names are like 250514UP.EXE. If I should ask for Q291362 and Q239696 in danish which filenames should I then exact ask for?

Edited by jonazz

doh... wrong hotfix number. I got 242975dan8.exe

I need 291362 and 239696

In another thread they mention which email to use, to get the hotfixes send from microsoft. But I don't know if it is best to write the email in englsih and ask for the danish update or I should write the entire email in danish. In the other thread all the updates' names are like 250514UP.EXE. If I should ask for Q291362 and Q239696 in danish which filenames should I then exact ask for?

I think you can either ask international Microsoft support in English or Danish support in Danish. I'd call Danish Microsoft ( http://www.microsoft.com/danmark/msdk/content/cservice.asp ) and ask them where to get the hotfix. Just ask for sending hotfix, not for any support.

The file names will be 291362DAN8.EXE and 239696DAN8.EXE.

Petr

• 2 weeks later...

I need some technical help on the usb driver.

I have installed the driver in my Windows 98 and most of the devices were detected correctly.

I have a 865G chip board and therefore the board should have USB 2.0 ready.

I have also download and installed the USB 2.0 driver from Intel and the device manager contained the following USB controller:

"Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD"

However, when I attached the external hdd and start transferring a folder with around 260MB content, it required more than 5 minutes to finish. So it should end up using USB 1.1 for transfer.

So, my question is:

1. Do the driver support USB 2.0 with high speed?

2. How can I prove or determine if the device is running at USB 2.0 speed? (except from the transfer speed)

3. Any other suggestion to speed up the transfer?

4. A sidetracked question. How could I make 2 identical USB-IDE devices co-exist?

Thanks alot

1. Do the driver support USB 2.0 with high speed?

2. How can I prove or determine if the device is running at USB 2.0 speed? (except from the transfer speed)

3. Any other suggestion to speed up the transfer?

4. A sidetracked question. How could I make 2 identical USB-IDE devices co-exist?

Maximus Decim USB Driver contains just mass storage driver, not low level drivers for USB chips.

"Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD" requires Orangeware driver 1.01.0000.2, this is the only one driver version that works with ICH5 southbridge. It shall be available for download from the website of your motherboard manufaturer.

You can use usbview utility to check whether your devices are connected to USB 1.1 hub or to USB 2.0 hub

Petr

Maximus-Decim,

Thanks so much for for the nusb22e.exe drivers. I installed the drivers in my old 98se Dell Optiplex GXa, 440LX, 333MHz PII and they work great. USB flash drives are so much better than using floppies or CDs to transfer files, I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

So far, only one little bug concerns me. That is when I click on the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon and follow the prompts until the Wizard says it's O.K. to remove the device, the LED on the flash drive is still on. With my XP tower, the LED goes off when I reach this point.

I'm not familiar enough with this technology to know if it is safe to remove a USB flash drive if the LED is still on, so I'm playing it safe and working around it by just shutting down first. Very minor concern for the benefits realized, but if you could let me know your thoughts/advice on this, I would feel better about just trying a possible hot-unplug. Meanwhile, I'll Google around and see if I can get more education on the subject.

Thanks again...

By chance I found out that in his "Native USB ver.2.2" maximus-decim is using also Update KB242975, which is "Update for 1394 Storage Peripherals in Windows 98 Second Edition". It is the pair "Systray.exe" and "Hotplug.dll" that are doing the job for "Unplug or eject hardware", which is also meant to unplug a 1394 (FireWire) device, no wonder it takes quite long to do the so called Safe Removal of a USB device. Anyway it still is a great work from maximus-decim!!

Down the road in this thread, I was asking the possibility of achieving this Safe Removal behaviour as it is in Windows XP, where we can opt for "Safely Remove Hardware" in the notification area or just simply right-click the drive in Windows Explorer and click "Eject". With the NUSB-2.2, if we click "Eject", then we will get "Unsafe Removal of Device" error message.

In the thread, iscove has written about hotplug icon that is controlled by the following key in the registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CV\Applets\SysTray

HotPlugFlags = 0x00000002

Services = 0x0000000d

Well, "Services" does control what is displayed in the System Tray. As to "HotPlugFlags", I have done an experiment with different values, with the hope to achieve the XP behaviour mentioned above to no avail.

I won't give up, I tried to look into the "Systray.exe", and changed only one Byte in it to bypass the error trapping routine, voila!! Now I get it work as in WinXP, I can still opt for the "Unplug or eject hardware", or for a simple thumbdrive just right-click and eject with no more "Unsafe Removal of Device" error message.

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.2.2

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only for Windows 98SE English !!!

Native (without installation of additional drivers

for each type) support USB flash drives, digital

photo and videocameras and other similar devices.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

Before installation remove ALL of driver

USB flash drivs, available in system.

What's new?

1.Fixed bug "USB Diagnostic Device"

2.New devices are added.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://rapidshare.de/files/1217842/nusb22e.exe.html

Hello. Just to let you know...

I installed your USB driver pack on: Windows 98 Finnish ,and it works 100%.

So seems it works also for normal Win98 and non-english versions aswell..

Hello. Just to let you know...

I installed your USB driver pack on: Windows 98 Finnish ,and it works 100%.

So seems it works also for normal Win98 and non-english versions aswell..

The following Windows 98 versions are based on so called "United States version": English, German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Greek, Turkish, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Portuguese-Brazil, and others. These versions contains exactly the same code, just text strings differ.

nUSB driver contains English version of several files that are localized (translated) for non English W98 versions. Therefore many text strings and dialogues will change from the local language to English after installing the English version of nUSB. But everything will work because of the same binary code.

Petr

Mille was asking what byte pattern to search and what byte to change in order to achieve the hot plug behavior as it is in the WinXP.

Make sure that you have done Maximus Decim Native USB patch, and that the SYSTRAY.EXE Version is 4.10.0.2224, file size 27,648 bytes. Copy SYSTRAY.EXE to a temporary folder, then with a binary editor search for following byte pattern: 75 1B 52 68, once you find it, change the byte 75 with EB. What you will do is basically changing the instruction from "JNZ SHORT" (75) to certain address to "JMP SHORT" (EB) to certain address, thereby bypassing the "Unsafe Dialog".

Once you did it, I would recommend you to use SFC to replace the original SYSTRAY.EXE by the one you have patched, so that you will have a backup just in case...Hope that helps.

Now the last words, I can guarantee nothing about and I am not responsible for this patch. It works great for me. So if you decide to do it, the risk is fully yours.

Edited by Wijono