Russian hackers 'the best in the world'

Carmon

Source

- ZDNet UK

Russians who once hacked for fun are now teaming up to get rich through cybercrime, according to police

The Russian police's cybercrime division, known as Department K, has warned that Russian hackers are the best in the world.

"Everyone knows that Russians are good at maths," said lieutenant general Boris Miroshnikov of Department K. "Our software writers are the best in the world, that's why our hackers are the best in the world."

Speaking at the e-Crime Congress in London on Tuesday, Miroshnikov said that the casual teenaged hackers of the past developed their techniques as they grew older.

"It used to be naughty boys [doing this]," he said. "But now they've grown up. They realise if you are clever at something then you should use it to earn a living. They are hacking to get rich and uniting over networks."

Miroshnikov called for unified international laws for Internet crime that would make it easier for the police to carry out arrests and charges around the world.

On Tuesday the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit's said that cybercrime cost UK firms £2.4bn last year as consequence of online crime last year. Miroshnikov said this was alarming, but that the international police effort was starting to take effect.

"The statistics are really very worrying," he said. "If you look at 2001, 2002 and 2003, computer crime was doubling. It's only this year that we've started to hold back the growth. That's because we've worked so hard.

"When governments get [iSPs], law enforcement, public and private sector cooperating, then and only then will we be able to succeed in holding back this type of crime."

Russian hackers have been blamed for a series of distributed denial-of-service attacks against UK gambling Web sites, who are now urging ISPs to provide all their customers with better security.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

math has nothing todo with being a good hacker, and i seriously doubt russians are the best in the world, if anything id say either chinese or english. Id even rate american hackers as being better than russian.

Anybody can be the best hacker.

its how well you apply yourself and master the skill.

That means Chinese, Russians,Americans,English etc.

sometimes statistics can be wrong.If you are like me, you will keep a open mind about

everything or be left in the dark.

And the best hacker in the world would never get caught.

He/She would always be 10 steps ahead no matter what situation.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

some of the most skilled programmers i have ever had the privilege of learning from were russian or some other slov. english/americans rate about the worst imho.

i tend to agree with the article.

Edited by Ophiel X

They're good in software development too, while most people tend to develop new programs that need better hardware specs, I've seen a lot of great software solutions for older hardware, stretching the machine beyond (what I considered) the limit..

I can recall the case of 286 machines when the JPG file format first made it's appearance and everyone complained about the need of a 486 or Pentium processor to see those images with some decent quality..

A russian author made a small DOS app that could efectively read JPG files with a quite acceptable speed on 286 machines runnning at 8Mhz.. saved me from spending $$$ on a newer machine at the time.

Then there's the case of mHDD or HDD regenerator, wich can literally ressurect faulty HDD drives - mHDD is completely freeware and really does a great work fixing drives - too bad few people ever hear about these cases and give more attention to hackers with bad intentions (which are obviously being confused with everyone who knows how to tweak a piece of software or hardware and is also labeled as being an hacker)...

I personnaly recommend to take a look at the definition of "hacker" in wikipedia, might be interesting to see how people define this term.. :)

I think alot of people really don't know the definition of hacking.

Thanx Nuno Brito

as i said before

Anybody can be the best hacker

its how well you apply yourself and master the skill.

That means Chinese, Russians,Americans,English etc.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Guest NukaCola

well I think i can say even more...

I know many examples of russian teenagers who have hacked very high-secured websites, (FBI and such webs) who have been accepted a post of Senior Developers at Microsoft and such compannies, so hackin is a ticket to big life for them.