[Help] Remote Desktop

jorsak

Hey gang,

Quick question: I've set up Remote desktop in XP Pro on a few different users systems. I love it as it is really simply.

My question is this: I had to open ports 3389-3390 in my linksys router and forward any requests on that port to a specific IP address of the computer that I want to connect too (I.E. 192.168.1.100). That's all good and fine and works great for one computer. How do you configure the ports if you have multiple machines you'd like to be able to connect too?

The latest version of Remote Desktop will listen on a different port.

Changing RDC listen port

Connecting to a specific RDC port

Both are fairly simple if you don't mind editing the registry on each machine. For this to work you would need to configure each machine with its own unique listen port and then connect using that port number accordingly. I'd recommend setting each machine's listen port to something similar to its internal IP address. For example, if the first ip address is 192.168.1.101 make the listen port for that machine 3101; 192.168.1.102 would then be on port 3102. Got it?

P.s. Oh yeah, open the port range on your router too and make sure no other software needs the ports you use.

Edit again: this won't work very well if your router is handling addressing via DHCP. Then it would be possible for the same machine to have multiple IPs. You should turn off DHCP or move all the Remote Desktop Client machines into the IP zone not used by DHCP, a la: 192.168.1.51 or whatever.

Edited by raskren

also on a linksys router, you can go into the "UPnP Forwarding" which should give you the option to set and external port, that maps to some internal port on the smae subnet, diffrent ip. This should solve the problem, and you wont have to change any settings on RDP on any of the local machines, then you just need to remember that port blank maps to machine blank, but you would have to remember that even if you used diffrent ports on the local machines.

Don't know how they "Found their way" without knowing which machine you wanted to connect to. Thanks fo rthe thoughts guys.

i will have to play around with it. I haven't had a need yet but I'm sur eit will come up.

My router assigns fixed internal IPs to both computers. Just typing the IP will do. I didn't have to configure ports 3389-3390 specifically in the router.

I don't think RD will allow simultaneous connections to more than one computer.

• 10 months later...

Warned by jorsak, so I reply ^^

I'm n00b in RD and their tweaks/possibilty from Microsoft.

Why don't try VNC ? it's more easy to configure ... realvnc4 is fast ...

(Personaly, I use VNC on 4 pcs, after I can forward port to work without any problems, but I prefer use SSH on port 22 and I create crypted tunnels between hosts and clients ...)

I know this works on 2000 Server and Server 2003...it may also work on XP. Instead of changing the default port another option would be to add another port (provided this does work on XP).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555031

This way you could use just the computer name like normal. But on your router you only open the non-standard ports so externally you'd have to know the port number.